Week 13 GDT - Baltimore Ravens vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

If we where even debating that decision before the Packers game that game really showed that Brunskill is way more ready to fill that spot. Skule has been decent for the most part but Brunskill to me has shown so much more. I kinda see the whole we want to keep it simple for them in terms of being on one side but man our offense really only got rolling when Brunskill replaced Skule.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

I like having Richie James do that.

Also, there should be no competition. It's brunskill

Yes, fer sure. Laughed earlier at that thought of CJ Beathard in this role. 

Probably.. but I think there's time for both to compete for it. Plus side, is u come off fair and make sure.. downside is less share of snaps. :/ 

I read this earlier and had another thought. 

Emmanuel Sanders (ribs) was a limited participant for Wednesday's practice.

Sanders caught his only target against the Packers on Monday night, finishing with 67 percent of San Francisco's snaps under his belt. With all finally healthy, it's clear Deebo Samuel and George Kittle have trumped Sanders in Jimmy Garoppolo's preferred pecking order. The 32-year-old will still be a WR4 working from the slot against Baltimore.

If he's not open, or comfortable being decoy as he recovers, then fine. Otherwise.. I want Manny more involved. 

on another WR note: 

ffs, what a swing and a miss draft pick. LOL

I'm not sure how Cam is saying Deebo has trumped Sanders? I mean Deebo only had two catches himself. Sanders probably still wasn't 100% and we shall see who Jimmy really trusts in the upcoming weeks. Obviously without Sanders/Kittle against SEA/AZ, Deebo was clearly the #1 option. 

• Like 2

WE WILL WIN THIS GAME. the closer it gets the more confident I get. They hype train with lamar is full steam ahead and I love that no one is really giving us a shot.

I would defend lamar waaaay differently than anyone else has all year. 

First of all, I would stack the box on early downs and try and force passing situations. Option/assignment football where everyone is basically playing man coverage. Just put 9 guys in the box with Sherman/Spoon/Mosely on an island. Those guys have shown they can handle it. Hell, they basically are on an island when we are playing cover 3 and they each have a deep third. 

I would put in 3 safeties on passing downs. Then I would tell our DL to rush aggressively on passing plays. I see other teams just try and play contain and then he has all day to throw. Our DL's aggressiveness is what makes them great. Lets not neuter ourselves by trying to change how those guys play. So, we rush 4 guys, then have a delayed blitz with warner after their OL doubles someone and then lamar commits to one way or another. So even if all of our DL rushes upfield and there is a huge hole in our front, warner will come in to apply pressure. Then I would have ward spy him behind that.

Warner wouldnt have to blitz everytime, but I want a staggered spy where his main job is being aggressive and applying pressure on Jackson up the middle. He can be more aggressive than a normal spy would be able to, because he knows that he also has ward behind him doing the same thing. That kinda sounds like too many guys to commit to Jackson on passing plays, but when you think about it, its 6 guys (4 DL, Warner on the delay blitz, and ward spying behind warner but still in the box) playing 6 guys (5 OL plus Jackson) and it shouldn't leave us too exposed on the back end. It also could be greenlaw or someone else being the 'aggressive spy' and warner could be used to cover their TE(s). 

Then behind that, we will be able to play more man coverage than anyone else has. Usually against running QBs you cant play man because you want defenders to keep their eyes on the QB. Our corners are better equipped to handle man coverage on deep routes than other teams, because they basically do this already when we are playing our cover 3 zone. Tartt will be manned up on their RB in this scenario, so we would have both ward and tartt in the box with moore playing deep. In man coverage, there shouldn't be anyone obviously open when he starts to scramble. He shouldn't have any running room or any wide open WRs if this defense is executed correctly. 

WITH THAT BEING SAID - The key to me in this game is the offense! Its about scoring enough to keep pace with them and keep it within one score. Other teams fell behind early and then folded. That wont be us. We will keep it close all game. We will score a lot on them. Their secondary is good but their front is not great. We will be able to throw it over the middle of the field all game long. Jimmy is going to have super clean pockets all game. The run game will be working. We will control the TOP. 

Its going to be an absolutely beautiful win in a potentially ugly game

26 minutes ago, N4L said:

WE WILL WIN THIS GAME. the closer it gets the more confident I get. They hype train with lamar is full steam ahead and I love that no one is really giving us a shot.

I would defend lamar waaaay differently than anyone else has all year. 

First of all, I would stack the box on early downs and try and force passing situations. Option/assignment football where everyone is basically playing man coverage. Just put 9 guys in the box with Sherman/Spoon/Mosely on an island. Those guys have shown they can handle it. Hell, they basically are on an island when we are playing cover 3 and they each have a deep third. 

I would put in 3 safeties on passing downs. Then I would tell our DL to rush aggressively on passing plays. I see other teams just try and play contain and then he has all day to throw. Our DL's aggressiveness is what makes them great. Lets not neuter ourselves by trying to change how those guys play. So, we rush 4 guys, then have a delayed blitz with warner after their OL doubles someone and then lamar commits to one way or another. So even if all of our DL rushes upfield and there is a huge hole in our front, warner will come in to apply pressure. Then I would have ward spy him behind that.

Warner wouldnt have to blitz everytime, but I want a staggered spy where his main job is being aggressive and applying pressure on Jackson up the middle. He can be more aggressive than a normal spy would be able to, because he knows that he also has ward behind him doing the same thing. That kinda sounds like too many guys to commit to Jackson on passing plays, but when you think about it, its 6 guys (4 DL, Warner on the delay blitz, and ward spying behind warner but still in the box) playing 6 guys (5 OL plus Jackson) and it shouldn't leave us too exposed on the back end. It also could be greenlaw or someone else being the 'aggressive spy' and warner could be used to cover their TE(s). 

Then behind that, we will be able to play more man coverage than anyone else has. Usually against running QBs you cant play man because you want defenders to keep their eyes on the QB. Our corners are better equipped to handle man coverage on deep routes than other teams, because they basically do this already when we are playing our cover 3 zone. Tartt will be manned up on their RB in this scenario, so we would have both ward and tartt in the box with moore playing deep. In man coverage, there shouldn't be anyone obviously open when he starts to scramble. He shouldn't have any running room or any wide open WRs if this defense is executed correctly. 

WITH THAT BEING SAID - The key to me in this game is the offense! Its about scoring enough to keep pace with them and keep it within one score. Other teams fell behind early and then folded. That wont be us. We will keep it close all game. We will score a lot on them. Their secondary is good but their front is not great. We will be able to throw it over the middle of the field all game long. Jimmy is going to have super clean pockets all game. The run game will be working. We will control the TOP. 

Its going to be an absolutely beautiful win in a potentially ugly game

I got so hyped reading this I really feel like this team is going to smack the Ravens. The Ravens have no idea just how fast and physical this defense is the first 5 minutes there going to feel it and they will be shook. 

Extra point

According to Pro Football Focus, defensive coordinator Robert Saleh increased his usage of man coverage (Cover 0 and 1) by 12 percent over his regular usage in Weeks 1-11. With Ahkello Witherspoon back, Saleh trusted his secondary’s ability to play man against the Packers receivers.

-Ted Nguyen

That matched the eye test. We will be in man often I'm thinking this week so our corners will have a lot of pressure being on an island. But Spoon has been on an island quite often this season and was so against Adams a few times. I know depending on the coverage we will play a zone on one side and man on the other. But Spoon is the one you can leave on an island more than Sherman/Moseley. But boy playing Hollywood Brown with no safety help could be scary. So happy he's playing well though, was big on him coming out. Anyways, at least on Sunday I hope we can contain him. 

@Forge are we still top 3 defending opposing TEs? Because Andrews is a true force on the other end. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Allowed the third fewest targets, third fewest receptions, by far the lowest yardage total (by like 60 from the next closest). 

Thank you! 

So Chris Simms said something interesting that he thinks we play five DL on early downs to force Jackson to pass and we play single coverage with our corners. 

Deangelo Hall on the other hand said we have a bunch of zone corners and this is a bad match up for us since we can't play man coverage. Hm…… 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Thank you! 

So Chris Simms said something interesting that he thinks we play five DL on early downs to force Jackson to pass and we play single coverage with our corners. 

Deangelo Hall on the other hand said we have a bunch of zone corners and this is a bad match up for us since we can't play man coverage. Hm…… 

I'd prefer us to stick in zone. Personally, I'd perpetually run a three safety look with Moore in the box solely to spy Jackson because he's got the speed to keep up. 

Honestly, is be surprised if we deviate from our normal game plan too much

Once Robbie Gould gets healthy, are we going to cut McLaughlin or just make him inactive? 

I actually wouldn't mind keeping him in case Gould continues struggling, and letting them compete in the offseason. He's been pretty solid for us, not a lot of kickers you can take off the street and have them miss only one kick in 3 games (of course, that one kick was a big one, but you get my point..). Def think some team with kicking struggles will pick him up if we release him. 

We seem to have a solid number at each position, don't really think we're lacking anywhere, and i'd rather keep McLaughlin in our back pocket than someone like Sam Young 

Just now, 49ersfan said:

Once Robbie Gould gets healthy, are we going to cut McLaughlin or just make him inactive? 

I actually wouldn't mind keeping him in case Gould continues struggling, and letting them compete in the offseason. He's been pretty solid for us, not a lot of kickers you can take off the street and have them miss only one kick in 3 games (of course, that one kick was a big one, but you get my point..). Def think some team with kicking struggles will pick him up if we release him. 

We seem to have a solid number at each position, don't really think we're lacking anywhere, and i'd rather keep McLaughlin in our back pocket than someone like Sam Young 

Discussed on the pod actually!

Y2 and I are both of the opinion to just hold them both for now.