Is Offensive line or QB a more important positional group?

Bolts223

First let me clarify - obviously the QB is the most important player on the team. But there is only one QB on the field and 5 offensive lineman, so obviously the one QB represents the entire value from that one positional group.

I think it's a lot closer than a lot of people may think. The entire offense runs through the o-line whether it be the passing or running game. Elite O-lines have given Derek Carr, Carson Wentz & Matt Ryan MVP caliber seasons. Goff was great with a top o-line in 2017/2018 and he's been awful with a bad one in 2016 and this year. Even a HOF QB like Brady has had his struggles behind sub par o-lines like this year and in 2015. Obviously elite QB's can also mask a bad o-line like Wilson has for many years as well.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Bolts223

Typical response, but it depends on the make up of the team. If you have an elite running back and great defense, I think you’d be more comfortable taking the great OL and decent QB. If your defense gives up a lot of points and the backfield leaves a lot to be desired, you might want to have an elite QB if only to give yourself a chance of outscoring the opponent. 

I think there are dozens of examples that you could bring up for both arguments, but I’d be more comfortable if my team had a great QB + decent OL instead of a decent QB +
great OL. 

I’d rather have an elite QB and a junk OL than a junk QB and an elite OL. Just because a QB has time to throw, doesn’t mean they won’t make bad decisions in the pocket or make bad throws. I’ve always assumed OL to be somewhat overrated for a truly great QB, not that those are easy to find.

35 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Great QBs are hard to find. You don’t pass on that no matter the cost. Also, they will naturally make the line better by virtue of being on the field. 

As for lineman, you can add enough via free agency and the draft to eventually build a competent unit. 

This also applies the other way around too though. A great o-line can make an average to good QB look waaay better than they actually are. See 2016 Carr/Ryan, 2017 Wentz, 2017/2018 Goff. 

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

First let me clarify - obviously the QB is the most important player on the team. But there is only one QB on the field and 5 offensive lineman, so obviously the one QB represents the entire value from that one positional group.

I think it's a lot closer than a lot of people may think. The entire offense runs through the o-line whether it be the passing or running game. Elite O-lines have given Derek Carr, Carson Wentz & Matt Ryan MVP caliber seasons. Goff was great with a top o-line in 2017/2018 and he's been awful with a bad one in 2016 and this year. Even a HOF QB like Brady has had his struggles behind sub par o-lines like this year and in 2015. Obviously elite QB's can also mask a bad o-line like Wilson has for many years as well.

What do you guys think?

As a former QB and QB coach, I know the offensive line is more important at the professional level than the QB.

QBs make it to the NFL, because they checked off almost all the boxes to get there. They have some sort of arm talent, whether it is strength or accuracy; they have size and toughness; they have the mental processing ability and pocket presence; they have the mobility and ball handling skills.

What makes the difference between a good QB and a bad QB is their ability to process the information fast enough and maintaining his mechanics, while dealing with the pressure. If you have a great line, you have solved the difference between what makes the difference between good and bad NFL QBs. The players that cannot make the throws find themselves out of the league, potentially in the CFL or XFL.

Edited by ChicagoRaider14
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rocky_rams said:

A great OL can win you a super bowl with a mediocre QB more times than a great QB can win with a mediocre OL 

Manning -- the king of mental processing, quick release, and pocket presence -- only won one superbowl on the Colts.

Most years vs the Patriots, the Pats pass rush caused all sort of problems for Peyton. Peyton would look grossly inaccurate in those games, missing throws and throwing INTs.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ChicagoRaider14 said:

Manning -- the king of mental processing, quick release, and pocket presence -- only won one superbowl on the Colts.

Most years vs the Patriots, the Pats pass rush caused all sort of problems for Peyton. Peyton would look grossly inaccurate in those games, missing throws and throwing INTs.

Good point and it  makes a good illustration. 

2004, Manning breaks the NFL record for TD's in a season, 49. Opens up in PO's beating Denver 41-10. 

Comes to NE for divisional round. Patriots 19 - 3 Colts. Three friggin' points! 

Peyton never got the Colts into the red zone, let alone the end zone.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Split the Sticks said:

Good point and it  makes a good illustration. 

2004, Manning breaks the NFL record for TD's in a season, 49. Opens up in PO's beating Denver 41-10. 

Comes to NE for divisional round. Patriots 19 - 3 Colts. Three friggin' points! 

Peyton never got the Colts into the red zone, let alone the end zone.

I've watched enough football in my life to figure out how the game is won: in the trenches.

Edited by ChicagoRaider14
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 10:19 PM, rocky_rams said:

A great OL can win you a super bowl with a mediocre QB more times than a great QB can win with a mediocre OL 

Agreed.

Joe Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls in a decade with 3 different QBs.

None of those QBs are in the HoF.

Rypien, no elite QB, was sacked only like 6 or 8 times the entire regular season in 1991.

• Like 1