Prospects to keep an eye on for the Bucs

indifference

53 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think the idea of "upper echelon" pass rushers being first round picks is because the guys who show the most promise in college are generally picked earlier. So they pan out more often.

There are plenty of examples of guys turning out to be great pass rushers in the NFL that weren't great in college. They're fewer and farther in between. But it happens.

I believe pass rusher much like QB and LT tend to be a priority position that teams would rather draft early for fear of missing out.  Leonard Floyd from Georgia fits the mold 2 years ago.  There can be a debate how Davenport looked overall at the Senior Bowl, but since he plays a priority position I think there is little doubt he gets drafted in top 15.  Unless he completely bombs his interviews,  I dont see how a 21 year old athletic freak falls that far, no matter how raw technique wise he is considering the position he plays.

DT Andrew Brown. Originally projected to be an edge guy in a 3-4, but he was kicked inside to UT this week during the senior bowl practices and reviews have been very good.

He offers a lot of potential as a pass rushing UT. He could be a guy you draft in mid-late rounds and develop for a year or two behind McCoy.

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

DT Andrew Brown. Originally projected to be an edge guy in a 3-4, but he was kicked inside to UT this week during the senior bowl practices and reviews have been very good.

He offers a lot of potential as a pass rushing UT. He could be a guy you draft in mid-late rounds and develop for a year or two behind McCoy.

He probably needs to put on about 10lbs or so to play DT. 

46 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

He probably needs to put on about 10lbs or so to play DT. 

He plays with great leverage and is strong ala Aaron Donald (who is 285 lbs.).

Ultimately though, I think he could add 5 lbs to the frame and still have the quickness. I think if he got up to 290 range he'd be filled out.

8 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Excellent breakdown on Fitzpatrick. This is exactly why I wouldn't mind having to "settle" on him at seven.

We need football players and leaders. On that level I’m down, but we better go balls to the wall in free agency with DL help either way. We need to enter the draft with flexibility to draft Fitzpatrick.

Certainly a lot of debate whether Minkah can play outside.  I think how he tests athletically at Indy will determine a lot.  If there is a belief he can do it, he ll probably go top 5.

My concern is Nick Saban didnt play him outside much.  I know the comparison to Ramsey is out there.  Who do I trust more, Saban or Charles Kelly?   ?

8 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Certainly a lot of debate whether Minkah can play outside.  I think how he tests athletically at Indy will determine a lot.  If there is a belief he can do it, he ll probably go top 5.

My concern is Nick Saban didnt play him outside much.  I know the comparison to Ramsey is out there.  Who do I trust more, Saban or Charles Kelly?   ?

Just listen to Todd McShay and Mel Kiper. icon_lol.gif

I think he could do it physically. It's all a matter of coaching him up. Do we have the coaches to do it?

5 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Just listen to Todd McShay and Mel Kiper. icon_lol.gif

I think he could do it physically. It's all a matter of coaching him up. Do we have the coaches to do it?

I dont  know.  Saban played him inside for a reason.  Granted, most SEC teams dont run Air Raid.  I just think arguably the greatest defensive mind in college played him inside to maximize his skill, I'm concerned about him moving outside.  Turning into another Earl Thomas would not be bad.  However, Im already hoping Justin Evans develops into that safety.  So I still lean toward dline improvement at 7.

4 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I dont  know.  Saban played him inside for a reason.  Granted, most SEC teams dont run Air Raid.  I just think arguably the greatest defensive mind in college played him inside to maximize his skill, I'm concerned about him moving outside.  Turning into another Earl Thomas would not be bad.  However, Im already hoping Justin Evans develops into that safety.  So I still lean toward dline improvement at 7.

Dline would be my preference too. But is there gonna be someone there who's better than Fitz?

49 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Dline would be my preference too. But is there gonna be someone there who's better than Fitz?

Exactly. Our front office would be a lost cause if we reach on say Davenport at 7 with Chubb off the board and Fitz is on it. If the current evaluation projects Fitz as a better football player and leader, then that’s what we need. We need football players and leaders to build the franchise. Simple as that. It’s unfortunate we need DL so badly and it’s so weak in this draft class, but to reach will surely guarantee us another top 10 pick and new coaching staff. Maybe we take Minkah and coaches don’t use him correctly. That’s a different issue. Just get me players that love the game and know how to build a winning culture. For this reason, we need to get a bunch of DL in free agency and one or to RBs. 

The thing I didn't like in Trevor's post about Fitz was that he kept saying he wasn't a good tackler. Then he showed clips of Fitz taking out two blockers AND making the tackle. He showed him jamming the WR into the RB.

Fitz is a baller. He plays like Bob Sanders but he has the size to do it. Gimme that all day.

I cant justify taking a safety hoping he can play outside CB because a prospect with off the charts athleticism did it a few years back over Nelson in this draft.  

I dont think Minkah will show to be the athlete the caliber of Ramsey.  Not a knock, I wouldnt be shocked if James is better athletically.

Archived