Dogs

D82

14 hours ago, JonStark said:

My 3 are all like that. The two older ones are basically too old to really work with, but for the younger one, we kept him on a lead and taught him the place command which has been great. When we say place, he has to go to his cot (can be a mat or a doggy bed) and stay there until we release him, which doesn't happen until he calms himself down. 

Now you can master the place command, but the first couple times people come over, he'll probably throw it out the window. That's where keeping him on a lead comes in handy. Anytime he isn't listening, bring him back to his place. He just needs to realize you're the one in charge and that he can't get what he wants while acting a fool. 

That being said, my guy isn't a collie, so having some CBD on hand definitely won't hurt. We use The Asher House's brand for all 3 (the young one for his anxiety and the older two for arthritis) and noticed a difference in all 3 once we started it. Doesn't have to be that brand, but you get what you pay for with that stuff. Make sure any brand you buy shows you the testing results for the oil, because a lot of the cheaper brands have a lot of crap in there. 

I would love to do the in place command be we have tried and failed miserably. Maybe using leash will help. It's just that as soon as he sees other people, it's like all commands are out the window and he gets tunnel vision on whatever is around. I'll definitely try the leash!

Also thanks for the recommendation on CBD. If we just had something for when we know company is coming over that would get him mellowed out instead of bouncing off the walls that would be amazing lol

The straw that broke the camels back for me was I had a friend come over to watch the Browns game and he was so excited/jumping all over him that he literally peed on the floor. I was like hellllllll no.

Last thing, is it okay to use CBD drops in their food daily for anxiety/energy or would it only be recommended on a 'as needed' basis. I feel weird giving my dog medicine that alters his mood every single day of his life lol

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I would love to do the in place command be we have tried and failed miserably. Maybe using leash will help. It's just that as soon as he sees other people, it's like all commands are out the window and he gets tunnel vision on whatever is around. I'll definitely try the leash!

Also thanks for the recommendation on CBD. If we just had something for when we know company is coming over that would get him mellowed out instead of bouncing off the walls that would be amazing lol

The straw that broke the camels back for me was I had a friend come over to watch the Browns game and he was so excited/jumping all over him that he literally peed on the floor. I was like hellllllll no.

Last thing, is it okay to use CBD drops in their food daily for anxiety/energy or would it only be recommended on a 'as needed' basis. I feel weird giving my dog medicine that alters his mood every single day of his life lol

Yeah out pitty was the same way with the commands but after using the leash for a little, he started realizing that he didn't have a choice and that we were in charge of what he could and couldn't do. If he wants to greet the people, he needs to do it calmly. Eventually he started calming down on the place board and then losing his **** once we let him off, so right back on he went. It takes a bit but they get it eventually. 

I give my 3 CBD daily with their food. The younger one only needs a few drops for anxiety but the older ones get a full dropper for the arthritis. Can always just give him a few extra drops on a treat when you have people coming over. I think it's pretty hard to give them too much so a few extra drops on top of their usual daily amount won't hurt them. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So last month my husband finally got a Boston Terrier (from a responsible breeder). His last one he had had for 12 years passed away in 2022 and he's been wanting one ever since.

I finally got in touch with a breeder I knew through some show friends and we brought her home last month. Safe to say, her and Hurry are best friends

HqtYqe2.jpeg

• Like 3

My Golden is just under 2 years old. He’s been having really bad separation anxiety lately, started ripping up my carpet, etc. I have an 8 month old baby that is taking up a lot of attention, and I think that’s playing into it. My dog is really timid towards new people and scared to get into my car, go to a groomer, the vet, and so on. He also jumps a lot on me when i walk into the house. I just feel like I’m letting him down, I’ve decided on a two week board and train program with a reputable trainer in the area. Has anyone had any experience with this? During the two week period there are meetups where I go for some training sessions at local places.. like a Home Depot for example to get him out of his shell and build his confidence.