Dogs

D82

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 2:05 PM, bigbadbuff said:

Brought home our Golden Retriever pup last week. He’s 9 weeks old. I forgot how much work, and fun puppies are!

And with a Golden. Youll never lose that puppy innocence with them.

Have any water around you? Thats my magic time with my Golden. Just sittin on the dock of the bay, wasting time.... Playin fetch.

50 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

And with a Golden. Youll never lose that puppy innocence with them.

Have any water around you? Thats my magic time with my Golden. Just sittin on the dock of the bay, wasting time.... Playin fetch.

He’s a little rascal right now. Loves chasing leaves in the yard. Of course i just found a tick on him and he was too young to get the tick medicine, vet said to just monitor him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well...have to wait and see what the official verdict is, but Hurry should get good results back on her final OFAs for her Hips and Elbows. 

So now we officially start planning for litters in 2024 and dive into stud dog shopping. 

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any recommendations for doggy door inserts on double sliding glass doors? Everything I've found online so far has been tied to one sliding patio door and the insert being placed between the door and the wall; for doubles I've seen videos on manual setups but nothing that would keep the doors 'as-is' currently. I'd prefer not to make permanent modifications on the sliding doors I have right now.

3 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for doggy door inserts on double sliding glass doors? Everything I've found online so far has been tied to one sliding patio door and the insert being placed between the door and the wall; for doubles I've seen videos on manual setups but nothing that would keep the doors 'as-is' currently. I'd prefer not to make permanent modifications on the sliding doors I have right now.

What's your goal? 

4 minutes ago, D82 said:

What's your goal? 

Allow my puppy to be able to go outside when I'm not home, he's gotten used to me being home and letting him outside when he needs to pee / poop. While my back gate has a lock, would still like for the doggy door insert to be able to lock the patio doors when needed, while still being able to slide one side apart for entry / exits.

Edit: Returning to office part-time in January, and while I'll likely be using Lunch to return home for the rest of the day, it's not going to be possible each and every day, and he's still had some accidents at times (mainly #2).

Edited by RuskieTitan

38 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Allow my puppy to be able to go outside when I'm not home, he's gotten used to me being home and letting him outside when he needs to pee / poop. While my back gate has a lock, would still like for the doggy door insert to be able to lock the patio doors when needed, while still being able to slide one side apart for entry / exits.

Edit: Returning to office part-time in January, and while I'll likely be using Lunch to return home for the rest of the day, it's not going to be possible each and every day, and he's still had some accidents at times (mainly #2).

Do you crate when you aren't there? 

13 minutes ago, D82 said:

Do you crate when you aren't there? 

No; all doors are shut but he's got free roam for most of the first floor, stairs, and upstairs corridor but typically find him on the first floor / lying on the first few steps - I have a camera set up in my kitchen for the 3 entryways and check up on him from time to time.

Would crate training be the best approach?

Edit: First floor is tile aside from a rug in the main room; stairs and upstairs are carpet but most of his accidents happen on the tile so clean-up isn't too bad.

Edited by RuskieTitan

4 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

No; all doors are shut but he's got free roam for most of the first floor, stairs, and upstairs corridor but typically find him on the first floor / lying on the first few steps - I have a camera set up in my kitchen for the 3 entryways and check up on him from time to time.

Would crate training be the best approach?

Edit: First floor is tile aside from a rug in the main room; stairs and upstairs are carpet but most of his accidents happen on the tile so clean-up isn't too bad.

I'd definitely recommend crate training. 

I have two. An almost 7 year old and a just turned 2 year old. They have free-roam of the house, but they're both crate-trained and willingly go in a crate if given access to one. I've just heard a lot of bad stories with people who have doggy doors so it's not something I'd recommend going with. 

• Like 2