Dogs

D82

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I got unnecessarily angry when I see a shaved husky that has no visible wounds and even then, it should only be around the surgery. I'm not joking when I say it is probably one of the top 10 things in this world that makes me mad..... way more than it should. 

The popularity of the breed makes it far more frequent of an occurrence as well. Irresponsible pet ownership drives me nuts

When I worked at PetSmart, we'd have people bring in their dogs (Huskies, Labs, GSDs), and want them shaved. It took all I had not to go off on them. 

Another groomer I worked for (privately-owned) would refuse clients who wanted it done. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, D82 said:

287330822_10158366131980047_736547809446

Been nice having Hurry back...she goes back to her co-owner though at the beginning of August for two months to get in shape for the big GSD show in October. 

Co-owner? Is this like a messy divorce situation? lol

Sorry, just not familiar w/ this. I know you show her so maybe something to do w/ that

42 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Co-owner? Is this like a messy divorce situation? lol

Sorry, just not familiar w/ this. I know you show her so maybe something to do w/ that

So I co-own her with the guy I bought her from. He's a very knowledgable breeder and handler of many German Shepherd dogs. So he's on as a co-owner to help guide me, I don't have to pay him a handler fee to show her since he's part owner, and when it comes time to breed her he'll help me out with that whole process too. 

Plus, if anything happens to me and my partner, since he's on as a co-owner, he'd have a legal claim to the dog - so it helps ensure she never ends up in a shelter. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, D82 said:

So I co-own her with the guy I bought her from. He's a very knowledgable breeder and handler of many German Shepherd dogs. So he's on as a co-owner to help guide me, I don't have to pay him a handler fee to show her since he's part owner, and when it comes time to breed her he'll help me out with that whole process too. 

Plus, if anything happens to me and my partner, since he's on as a co-owner, he'd have a legal claim to the dog - so it helps ensure she never ends up in a shelter. 

This all makes sense. I had simply never heard of that before when it comes to dogs but her and my pup are in different situations. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Our pup was finally born the other day and we're now 2 months away from taking it home (Can't wait)!

We're doing a bunch of research online, bought a couple books, etc. to get us prepped to fully train the little guy/gal, but I figured this would be a good place to get some info.

What are some products you swear by for your dog? I.e. food, kennel, leash, etc. We have quite the checklist of things we'll be buying and any advice would be appreciated!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Our pup was finally born the other day and we're now 2 months away from taking it home (Can't wait)!

We're doing a bunch of research online, bought a couple books, etc. to get us prepped to fully train the little guy/gal, but I figured this would be a good place to get some info.

What are some products you swear by for your dog? I.e. food, kennel, leash, etc. We have quite the checklist of things we'll be buying and any advice would be appreciated!

Food-wise: Keep the pup on whatever it is the breeder feeds, at least for the first few weeks. Going to a new environment is already a lot on their bodies at that age, trying to do a food switch on top of it is just not fun. 

Kennel: Varikennels work great, and it's more of a "den-envrionment" for the pup. If you can find the older ones, they're made a bit more sturdier than the newer plastic ones. Usually can score a good deal on them by browsing your local Craigslist or FB Marketplace. 

Leash: I highly recommend a slip lead. Pro-Mohs has the best ones I've found. 

Primo Pads are also great to put in their kennel in place of your typical dog bed. They're a bit more sturdier, plus they're easily washable if the pup has an accident. 

• Like 2

Just my two cents,  not a professional dog trainer or anything,  but an experienced dog owner:

Professional dog training is well worth it.   They usually don't train the dog as much as they train you, but that is usually very useful. 

Preventive veterinarian care is also well worth it.  As someone who has dealt with pets with complicated medical issues, it's always best to be out in front of these things.  

The other thing..well **** it....if you aren't prepared to love that animal like it's your kid, don't get it.  It's not a prop or a decorative piece.   If you don't get that,  don't get one.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Charles said:

Just my two cents,  not a professional dog trainer or anything,  but an experienced dog owner:

Professional dog training is well worth it.   They usually don't train the dog as much as they train you, but that is usually very useful. 

Preventive veterinarian care is also well worth it.  As someone who has dealt with pets with complicated medical issues, it's always best to be out in front of these things.  

The other thing..well **** it....if you aren't prepared to love that animal like it's your kid, don't get it.  It's not a prop or a decorative piece.   If you don't get that,  don't get one.

Strongly agree with all of that, especially the last part. We get too many seniors dumped off when they get older and it makes me sick because they are usually the first ones put down.

Just make sure you research and invest in a good trainer. It's worth it. I've had some horrible ones that basically set the dog up for failure. We had a dog reactive foster that we hired a trainer for and she literally walks her german shepherd in our house, looks at my dog, and tells me to drop the leash. I go "he's going to bite your dog, especially since it's his house" and she says half jokingly "who's the trainer here?". Well guess what happened? She then had the audacity to tell the rescue the dog was a monster and bit both her and her dog. Some trainers are just people who've read a book and passed a test, but let their ego take over when they actually get in the field. Had we been connected with the trainer we use now, that dog's life would've been entirely different. 

13 hours ago, Charles said:

I treat mine like an employee. Its a work dog that wants nothing more than to work. One of the girls spoils her like its a kid. So the dog is completely ruined for her. Dog thinks its the boss, so my girl cant make her listen one bit and the dog is always cranked up to 11 when around her.

Main key. Love the animal, but dont allow it to become boss.

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I treat mine like an employee. Its a work dog that wants nothing more than to work. One of the girls spoils her like its a kid. So the dog is completely ruined for her. Dog thinks its the boss, so my girl cant make her listen one bit and the dog is always cranked up to 11 when around her.

Main key. Love the animal, but dont allow it to become boss.

Yeah. This. So many of the issues that a lot of dogs have now are because people treat them like kids. 

I love mine dearly, but at the end of the day, they're still a dog. I own them. And I ensure they have the proper training to know the difference. 

294974470_10158408282215047_149182193478

Went to a dog show and picked up a point toward her Grand Championship. 

She was so bad 😂 definitely in need of some retraining. Good thing she's going to her co-owner next month for two months. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...