Dogs

D82

On 8/2/2022 at 11:14 AM, D82 said:

I really want a Doberman...

Doberman is a great choice with your kids. A neighbor had one growing up. Was a big baby that adored nothing more than being with kids. Then a guy that worked with my mom had one. His crashed through a bay window to save neighboring kids from an animal attack. Think it was one of those Spuds McKenzie dogs bit one and nothing was stopping that Doberman. Strait through the window, cut to shreds, blood soaked, off to save the day.

298198237_10158430097230047_220445787837

Hurry leaves Wednesday to go back to her co-owners to get in shape for the big German Shepherd show in October in Florida. Kinda bummed but she's in season right now so she won't be here to drive Lemmy crazy when she's in estrus 🤣

5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Just found out my puppy has an umbilical hernia and I'm worried about the ramifications. 

How old is the pup? Often, they'll close on their own as the puppy grows - without the need for surgery. 

39 minutes ago, D82 said:

How old is the pup? Often, they'll close on their own as the puppy grows - without the need for surgery. 

8 weeks this week, I managed to get a copy of the vet report and the vet called it very small and potentially not requiring surgery. I went to a couple of open vet clinics today and got confirmation that sometimes they address it during the neutering visit, so I'll make sure to keep an eye on it. I didn't like that I had to find out on a Sunday morning out of the blue when they had gotten the information on Friday, especially since I had set aside time off this week from work to focus on him.

4 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

8 weeks this week, I managed to get a copy of the vet report and the vet called it very small and potentially not requiring surgery. I went to a couple of open vet clinics today and got confirmation that sometimes they address it during the neutering visit, so I'll make sure to keep an eye on it. I didn't like that I had to find out on a Sunday morning out of the blue when they had gotten the information on Friday, especially since I had set aside time off this week from work to focus on him.

What breed of dog? I'd hope they aren't planning on neutering already. 

21 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Mini Schnauzer, it's the final requirement to complete transitioning all the paperwork.

Ah...something the shelter required? Most breeders of smaller dogs recommend at least waiting until six months of age if at all possible. 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Ah...something the shelter required? Most breeders of smaller dogs recommend at least waiting until six months of age if at all possible. 

oh sorry for not making it clear, that's going to happen around 6-8 months for him, I'm just bringing him home this week. So getting him now and finishing up the paperwork once I submit the docs from the vet.

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

oh sorry for not making it clear, that's going to happen around 6-8 months for him, I'm just bringing him home this week. So getting him now and finishing up the paperwork once I submit the docs from the vet.

Oh I gotcha. That's good! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Kids might have a 2nd Shepherd coming. Lady has a litter due next month. Wed be jumping in at 4th in line. But if any are Silver Sable, which is highly likely cause of the father. We have blessing to jump up and nab it.

How things working out @RuskieTitan? Working out well with him this week?

Potty training and biting are the two biggest challenges right now. I've signed up for some training courses to help out, he knows to poo outside but still pees inside, with the exception being this morning when he woke me up barking and we made it outside for the first time. I'll take that progress. As for the biting, he loves to bite everything on me, but especially hands, feet and socks. I've tried sprays but he's very insistent still lol.

He's gotten better with night time sleeping and less whining about being separated.

All in all, he's still got a very long way to go, but he is still very young and I have to be patient with my repetition.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Potty training and biting are the two biggest challenges right now. I've signed up for some training courses to help out, he knows to poo outside but still pees inside, with the exception being this morning when he woke me up barking and we made it outside for the first time. I'll take that progress. As for the biting, he loves to bite everything on me, but especially hands, feet and socks. I've tried sprays but he's very insistent still lol.

He's gotten better with night time sleeping and less whining about being separated.

All in all, he's still got a very long way to go, but he is still very young and I have to be patient with my repetition.

Yeah, the sprays don't really work. When he tries to bite, redirect to a toy or something similar and reward like crazy when he bites/chews that item instead. 

• Like 1

Had plans to maybe breed Hurry next year...but I think depending on how well she does at the big show in October this year we may hold off until 2024. 

Assuming she passes her final OFAs in November of course 🤞