Dogs

D82

6 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Good luck!

Do you go with a raw food diet? 

Thanks!

I'll feed raw on special occasions (after a big win, birthday, holidays, etc.) but I just can't afford to feed a proper raw diet at the moment on my income. Assuming that end of things improves, I would eventually like to feed mainly a whole raw diet...although I have no problems continuing to feed Pro Plan if I never do.

46 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I have 3 dogs at home. Love dogs.

Molly - 4 year old full blooded pit bull

Julio - 7 month old pit/boxer mix

Max - 6 year old pit/lab/chow mix.

They're great, aren't they?

Couldn't imagine not having a dog again. 

13 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

Thanks!

I'll feed raw on special occasions (after a big win, birthday, holidays, etc.) but I just can't afford to feed a proper raw diet at the moment on my income. Assuming that end of things improves, I would eventually like to feed mainly a whole raw diet...although I have no problems continuing to feed Pro Plan if I never do.

Yea, I try and give my guy raw chicken a couple times a week as a treat, he loves it, but yes it definitely adds up quick and a whole raw diet takes a good bit of time and money. 

Going to start using Salmon oil a few times a week in his dry dog food. His skin has been getting a bit dry lately. 

what do guys who have full time jobs do for taking their dogs out during the day? or do you just have them wait until you come home?

thinking about getting a dog in about a year or less; i've had dogs before, but never on my own. i'll be fine in all other aspects as i know what to expect, but wondering what to do during the day.

8 hours ago, IrishGreen said:

what do guys who have full time jobs do for taking their dogs out during the day? or do you just have them wait until you come home?

thinking about getting a dog in about a year or less; i've had dogs before, but never on my own. i'll be fine in all other aspects as i know what to expect, but wondering what to do during the day.

At most, an adult dog can be in the crate for 8 hours.

If that's about the timeframe you're looking at, I'd give him/her a long walk before and after. Maybe ask a friend to come over and let your dog out once or twice throughout the day, or hire a pet sitter to do it for you (looking at at most $15-20).

14 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

At most, an adult dog can be in the crate for 8 hours.

If that's about the timeframe you're looking at, I'd give him/her a long walk before and after. Maybe ask a friend to come over and let your dog out once or twice throughout the day, or hire a pet sitter to do it for you (looking at at most $15-20).

I think I'll look into someone letting out the dog during lunch. That seems to be the best option. I could do dog daycare a few times a month when I'll be busy a certain day or gone for the night, but everyday seems unnecessary when I'd easily be able to run them before and after work. 

We got our dog at 6 weeks old and crate trained him in the beginning.  It went well, and he liked his crate just fine, but especially if you get a young dog, you need to have someone come to walk them (if they are really young, some times multiple times), they can't make it 8 hours.  You'll get a feel for how your often your dog needs to go and the older they get the more they can hold.  At about a year (if that), once we had a good idea for our dog's temperament and he demonstrated that he wouldn't chew everything in sight when left alone, we were fine leaving him uncrated.   Both my fiancee and I work 8 hour days, we have a dog walker come at about noon or 1p to let him out.  It's probably not needed at this point, but we want to give him some stimulation during the day so he doesn't go crazy.  

We also took him to doggy day care twice a week, which was amazing in the beginning.  He came back exhausted and just slept the rest of the day and it also lets them interact and get used to other dogs.  Highly recommend it, but it is expensive.  

29 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

We got our dog at 6 weeks old and crate trained him in the beginning.  It went well, and he liked his crate just fine, but especially if you get a young dog, you need to have someone come to walk them (if they are really young, some times multiple times), they can't make it 8 hours.  You'll get a feel for how your often your dog needs to go and the older they get the more they can hold.  At about a year (if that), once we had a good idea for our dog's temperament and he demonstrated that he wouldn't chew everything in sight when left alone, we were fine leaving him uncrated.   Both my fiancee and I work 8 hour days, we have a dog walker come at about noon or 1p to let him out.  It's probably not needed at this point, but we want to give him some stimulation during the day so he doesn't go crazy.  

We also took him to doggy day care twice a week, which was amazing in the beginning.  He came back exhausted and just slept the rest of the day and it also lets them interact and get used to other dogs.  Highly recommend it, but it is expensive.  

We did a dog walker for a few months when we first got our pup but after a while we figured out he wasn't coming as often as he was supposed to and ended up just doing doggy day care everyday.  It was expensive but you're right, it was well worth it.  She'd come home exhausted everyday and it was great for her to socialize.  

We moved and tried a new day care but really just didn't like it there.  Now I work from home so it's not an issue but I do miss having her socialize daily.