Dogs

D82

1 hour ago, BLick12 said:

We also took him to doggy day care twice a week, which was amazing in the beginning.  He came back exhausted and just slept the rest of the day and it also lets them interact and get used to other dogs.  Highly recommend it, but it is expensive.  

54 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

We did a dog walker for a few months when we first got our pup but after a while we figured out he wasn't coming as often as he was supposed to and ended up just doing doggy day care everyday.  It was expensive but you're right, it was well worth it.  She'd come home exhausted everyday and it was great for her to socialize.  

We moved and tried a new day care but really just didn't like it there.  Now I work from home so it's not an issue but I do miss having her socialize daily.  

My pupper just had his 3rd birthday last month, He's half lab half Jack Russell Terrier which means he's a smart nutjob. When we first got him we did crate traning and slowly weened him off of it while living in an apartment. We just bought a new house 6 months or so ago and he LOVES the backyard, I do feel like we've gotten lazy on walking him because of it though.

2 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

My pupper just had his 3rd birthday last month, He's half lab half Jack Russell Terrier which means he's a smart nutjob. When we first got him we did crate traning and slowly weened him off of it while living in an apartment. We just bought a new house 6 months or so ago and he LOVES the backyard, I do feel like we've gotten lazy on walking him because of it though.

I would kill for a backyard to let her run around in.  

One thing we need to work on is getting her to be okay to roam around the apartment when we're gone.  She doesn't chew anything up but she whines and barks if she's not in her crate which the neighbors aren't too fond of.  She does love her crate but I feel bad leaving her in there for extended periods of time.

Sounds like my solution is we need to a buy a house with a yard. 

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

My guy turned 3 2 weeks ago.

I lived in the burbs when we first got him, but living in the city now, I'm not even sure if he'd know how to use a back yard anymore.

34y7ayu.jpg  

Here he is seeing a piglet for the first time:

15nm0ja.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

I would kill for a backyard to let her run around in.  

One thing we need to work on is getting her to be okay to roam around the apartment when we're gone.  She doesn't chew anything up but she whines and barks if she's not in her crate which the neighbors aren't too fond of.  She does love her crate but I feel bad leaving her in there for extended periods of time.

Sounds like my solution is we need to a buy a house with a yard. 

It was definitely a process weening him off the crate. We did the transition slowly and gave him the spare bedroom as "his" room at first. We started by letting him out in "his room" just to sleep and then after his morning walk he went his his cage while we both worked. Then we upgraded him to staying out of the crate in his room while we were out, then slowly we let him have free range. It took awhile and the carpet in that bedroom and some molding got a little tore up in the process but he never ate furniture or anything. Puppy pads in his room helped a lot too.

Edited by Hockey5djh

9 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Bonus points for the Flyers merch in the background.

What type of dog?

Gotta hang up my signed Bernie Parent jersey in that room next B|

We think she's some sort of mix of lab/pitbull/border collie.  I want to get one of those DNA tests just to see for sure.  

8 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

It was definitely a process weening him off the crate. We did the transition slowly and gave him the spare bedroom as "his" room at first. We started by letting him out in "his room" just to sleep and then after his morning walk he went his his cage while we both worked. Then we upgraded him to staying out of the crate in his room while we were out, then slowly we let him have free range. It took awhile and the carpet in that bedroom and some molding got a little tore up in the process but he never ate furniture or anything. Puppy pads in his room helped a lot too.

It's honestly just us being lazy about it.  She doesn't chew anything and won't have any accidents, we just need to leave her out for longer and longer times until she's comfortable with it like she is in the crate.  I'll leave her out if I'm gone for 15-30 minutes but any longer than that and she starts to get antsy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help from the local dogs experts. 

Just found out yesterday that my dog has torn both of his ACLs. Surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday. 

This dog is very active and hyper, and I'm worried that its going to be very difficult to keep him from hurting himself again during his recovery. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on any type of activities or things that I could use to keep his mind stimulated while his body heals? Or any suggestions at all would be greatful. Thanks!