Dogs

D82

11 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

It's funny you described him as dramatic but maybe that's the case if he just hurt a nail. I don't know much about this stuff so I'm worried about infections but it's probably unlikely.

He's a drama queen, for real though.

2 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

Clean, disinfect, rest. Can apply styptic powder or, if you don't have any/don't want to run out and get any, flour to stop the bleeding. 

I bathed him and disinfected it. This morning he was stepping gingerly at first but started getting into a normal but slow-paced gait a couple minutes into his walk. Vet said to keep an eye for signs of infection but it'll likely be fine.

Thanks all.

Edited by cddolphin
  • Like 2

How long is reasonable to let the dog roam the house without having to go out?  In our current apartment we crate our dog and have a dog walker come every day for half an hour.  We do half an hour walks in the morning and evening as well.  We're about to move into a new place and want to try just letting her roam.  Is 7am to 6pm too long to let her roam without a bathroom break?  I kinda feel like that is too long. 

9 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

How long is reasonable to let the dog roam the house without having to go out?  In our current apartment we crate our dog and have a dog walker come every day for half an hour.  We do half an hour walks in the morning and evening as well.  We're about to move into a new place and want to try just letting her roam.  Is 7am to 6pm too long to let her roam without a bathroom break?  I kinda feel like that is too long. 

I’d agree.  6-7 is usually as far as I stretch it during the day, and that’s rare.

Is it a smaller dog, are the pee pads an option?

10 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

My dog roams the apartment and rings a bell when she needs to go out. I try to never leave her alone for more than 4-5 hours. Luckily, my parents don't mind dog sitting when I'm working long hours or go out of town.

If you have a dog walker coming, then what's the difference between being in a crate and roaming? If it were me, I'd let the dog roam all day and have the dog walker show up around 1230. You could try using a training pad too.

21 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

My dog roams the apartment and rings a bell when she needs to go out. I try to never leave her alone for more than 4-5 hours. Luckily, my parents don't mind dog sitting when I'm working long hours or go out of town.

If you have a dog walker coming, then what's the difference between being in a crate and roaming? If it were me, I'd let the dog roam all day and have the dog walker show up around 1230. You could try using a training pad too.

She'll bark like crazy if we just let her roam the house, and living in an apartment we can't have that.  When we move in a couple months I'm hoping with a new place we can get her not to bark as much.  We're in a row home too so hoping the barking won't be as bad to neighbors.