Dogs

D82

32 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

yeah this is the exception.

This is exactly what he was bred to do. People see a lot of these herding dogs and think “I want a spunky dog who’s able to play fetch, is kinda rugged, not too big, smart, energetic, etc” but they don’t get what energetic means.  

Some of these dogs border on neurotic.  They need mental and physical stimulation all day every day.

Not what you prolly want to hear, but if you can’t devote the time to the dog that it needs you’ve got 2 options.

1.  Try to find a better home FOR THIS BREED.  I capitalized that because I don’t want to imply you’re not a good dog owner or don’t try or whatever.  The time/energy need of those breeds is more than many can handle, especially with a job, kids, etc.  Ideally these are farm dogs or have an equally neurotic owner who spends their whole day entertaining the dog lol.

2. Lower your expeditions of what you consider good behavior to some degree.

If money isn’t huge concern and time is, maybe a local boarding facility for dog day care a couple time a week?  Let him run and play with other dogs for the whole day and then pick him up after work.

Yeah we do the doggy day care thing. We travel a bunch on weekends so there has been probably 6-7x this summer dropped him off there. Problem is that gets insanely expensive when you do it that often.

He is really really good when its just us/him at home. He is actually quite low energy sometimes and will lay around all day watching me work. The only problem comes when you introduce other people that are not me or my wife into the mix. He then shotguns a 6 pack of RedBull and doesnt quit.

Something happens when he is around or even sees 'other' people or dogs. He will go ballistic for as much as a old lady walking by the house and we are the people at the dog park that have to apologize every 5 seconds for him going nuts with other dogs.

49 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah we do the doggy day care thing. We travel a bunch on weekends so there has been probably 6-7x this summer dropped him off there. Problem is that gets insanely expensive when you do it that often.

Yes it does.

49 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He is really really good when its just us/him at home. He is actually quite low energy sometimes and will lay around all day watching me work. The only problem comes when you introduce other people that are not me or my wife into the mix. He then shotguns a 6 pack of RedBull and doesnt quit.

Something happens when he is around or even sees 'other' people or dogs. He will go ballistic for as much as a old lady walking by the house and we are the people at the dog park that have to apologize every 5 seconds for him going nuts with other dogs.

Take him to a dog park? Let him get used to being around a lot of different people.

Just a suggestion, I’m guessing you do that already though.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yes it does.

Take him to a dog park? Let him get used to being around a lot of different people.

Just a suggestion, I’m guessing you do that already though.

Yeah we go to one near by, haven't gone recently since all the travel this summer but when we go there he is a mad man. He tries to herd the other dogs and gets next to them running then pushes them in their sides.

He also is the one running around jumping up trying to give 'kisses' to the other dog owners. Definitely usually the most energetic one there when we do go 

Good part is he goes 150mph for 15 mins and then just plops down somewhere exhausted and that's when I know it's time to leave lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah we go to one near by, haven't gone recently since all the travel this summer but when we go there he is a mad man. He tries to herd the other dogs and gets next to them running then pushes them in their sides.

He also is the one running around jumping up trying to give 'kisses' to the other dog owners. Definitely usually the most energetic one there when we do go 

Good part is he goes 150mph for 15 mins and then just plops down somewhere exhausted and that's when I know it's time to leave lol

Honestly, that's the perfect time to stay a little longer. Let him plop down and just exist with a bunch of strange people/dogs moving around him. The more he does that without having the energy to go crazy, the more normal it came become. 

I'd still strongly recommend the place board thing though unless you've already taught him that. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Honestly, that's the perfect time to stay a little longer. Let him plop down and just exist with a bunch of strange people/dogs moving around him. The more he does that without having the energy to go crazy, the more normal it came become. 

I'd still strongly recommend the place board thing though unless you've already taught him that. 

It’s also a great time to do some training. Let him run it out, be a wild man and have fun and then when he’s a bit tired, try to exhaust him mentally.  

• Like 2

Golden Retriever vs Trespassers

Car pulled up today with an old couple I know.  Golden as always. Gets fired up excited, happy barks, hopping around and wagging tail hard as possible. Man gets out so the golden charges, drops at his feet, rolls over and begs for a belly rub. His wife is still in the car and says what a beautiful dog. Which the golden gets up and leaps in the car. She gets on top of the woman and flips upside down like holding a baby squrming like mad. Luckily the woman was inside cackling her head off.

ice-cube-friday.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...