Dogs

D82

5 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

My cocker spaniel is 10 months old and he is eating socks, I’ve been trying to train him but he doesn’t seem to pick up what I’m doing, any videos you guys recommend?

Keeping socks where the puppy can't get to them is going to be far an away the easiest, quickest, and most effective.

Can't say I have a video for you, but take the sock away when you see it and give a treat/toy instead then praise/reward/play after the switch. Positive reinforcement has always worked better for me, but I'm no expert. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dome said:

Keeping socks where the puppy can't get to them is going to be far an away the easiest, quickest, and most effective.

Can't say I have a video for you, but take the sock away when you see it and give a treat/toy instead then praise/reward/play after the switch. Positive reinforcement has always worked better for me, but I'm no expert. 

Aside of just keeping the socks away in general, I'm actually the opposite. For something you want to teach your dog to do, you reward them for doing it but for something you want to teach them not to do, they are really only going to learn through a consequence to that action. I don't think they'll put together that the reward was for giving up the sock and even if they do, that doesn't tell them to avoid going after the sock in the first place. Maybe just get a squirt bottle and spray them every time they go for one. 

I do think what you offered is a good way to break resource guarding, but it seems like he's just trying to get the puppy out of the habit in general. 

Yeah I think every dog will be different on how they react to training and corrections, just like humans. 

I’ve generally had better lucky showing my dog what I want to do, rather than correcting the bad behavior when I see it. But sometimes it’s not the best approach.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

My cocker spaniel is 10 months old and he is eating socks, I’ve been trying to train him but he doesn’t seem to pick up what I’m doing, any videos you guys recommend?

Best place to start is to make sure they're not somewhere easily accessible. 

If you catch him with them, a quick "ah ah" and take away. Then redirect and give him something you want him to chew on. 

276041578_10158222819250047_350819412755

New crate came in today. Had been wanting a Ruffland but they're on backorder for months. 

Friend suggested Dakota kennels - came in within a five days of initial purchase. These are sturdy and a lot roomier than the Rufflands, plus they come with a lock for the kennel door which is a huge plus, especially for when we're at shows.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 12:17 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

My oldest is getting one exactly like yours. 2 weeks out from picking her up, just picked out.

And whats so great. Is that its part of her prep work for college. That dog will be by her side, very well trained. Makes me feel good.

Someone had to back out of their deposit. They said, "Can you get your daughter to call us when she gets home."

Me:

married-with-children-al-bundy.gif

@D82 What do you think of this deal. 2 bushels of crabs. 1 now and 1 reserved for the 4th of July. Plus a dozen soft crabs. In return for a Male.

Seems fair. As in the end, all it cost either was a little work. Both in the same region value wise. Plus they struggled finding or wernt willing to be ripped off in the hunt for crabs these past couple years. So they gain an insurance policy and have a source that favors them yearly now.

9 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

@D82 What do you think of this deal. 2 bushels of crabs. 1 now and 1 reserved for the 4th of July. Plus a dozen soft crabs. In return for a Male.

Seems fair. As in the end, all it cost either was a little work. Both in the same region value wise. Plus they struggled finding or wernt willing to be ripped off in the hunt for crabs these past couple years. So they gain an insurance policy and have a source that favors them yearly now.

I could make a lot of crab dip with that...

Though two bushels is about 1/5 of what a pup would cost 🤣

12 minutes ago, D82 said:

Math never was my strongsuit. Actual price would be half that. 

These are 1200. Factor in the demand around the 4th where the last couple years shes sold bushels for upwards of 650. Toss in the Softs. Its pretty bang on. Plus they got to keep a deposit from another party.

Im really taking to this Golden. We have another coming, but wish this was another of those. Im an Islander, a seafarer. Its surprising how good a waterdog is to have around when your life revolves around water.

49 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

These are 1200. Factor in the demand around the 4th where the last couple years shes sold bushels for upwards of 650. Toss in the Softs. Its pretty bang on. Plus they got to keep a deposit from another party.

Im really taking to this Golden. We have another coming, but wish this was another of those. Im an Islander, a seafarer. Its surprising how good a waterdog is to have around when your life revolves around water.

Didn't know crabs were going for that much 🤣

Goldens are a good breed, I originally started out in Labradors. I hope you've done your research and are talking with a reputable breeder. 

6 minutes ago, D82 said:

Didn't know crabs were going for that much 🤣

Goldens are a good breed, I originally started out in Labradors. I hope you've done your research and are talking with a reputable breeder. 

Yeah. You should see our originals compared to the one now. Our original 2 came from a local that field bred them for hunters. One was tall and lanky, walked like a Great Dane. The other was a barrel with stumpy legs, she was the runt of the bunch. But the ultimate water dog. You couldnt tire her out when it involved water. She would float around all day like a hippo if allowed.

The one now. Already has that stance when something draws her attention like...

img_DogBreed-Golden-Retriever.jpg

Perfect chest curve, bone structure is spot on. Surprising to look at after a decade of the others. Though I wouldnt trade my old fat floating river buddy for anything. And hope to find another with half the water grit she had. The current one has the looks, mega high energy on a very athletic built frame.

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Yeah. You should see our originals compared to the one now. Our original 2 came from a local that field bred them for hunters. One was tall and lanky, walked like a Great Dane. The other was a barrel with stumpy legs, she was the runt of the bunch. But the ultimate water dog. You couldnt tire her out when it involved water. She would float around all day like a hippo if allowed.

The one now. Already has that stance when something draws her attention like...

img_DogBreed-Golden-Retriever.jpg

Perfect chest curve, bone structure is spot on. Surprising to look at after a decade of the others. Though I wouldnt trade my old fat floating river buddy for anything. And hope to find another with half the water grit she had. The current one has the looks, mega high energy on a very athletic built frame.

Cool! Beautiful coat on her.