Dogs

D82

On 1/27/2022 at 6:02 PM, Dr LBC said:

We're at that interesting stage as a family.  The twins are at that age where they swear they want a dog and more importantly will take care of said dog, but they're also going to be teens soon and I know damn well that that means their ability to take responsibilities seriously will go out the window. 

I know you're just joking around and given your profession -  you also know not to let the teenagers call the shots and run the asylum. You have the greatest BCD available to you, use it to your advantage. BCD ? Behavior Control Device, aka their phones. Even the threat of losing access will help convince them into living up to their responsibilities.

1) Have them each record a short video where they promise to walk the dog, feed the dog, groom the dog, pick up the poop etc and send that video to you. Then when any issues come up, you simply refer them to the video they recorded of their promise. Then you don't have to be the bad guy, they made a commitment. Hold them to their word.

2) Have them sit down and read & sign an actual Dog Care Contract - by making it into a Big Deal, you are teaching them how the world works, what it means to make a commitment and what it means to sign on the dotted line.
Their generation grew up mindlessly " accepting terms and conditions" online without reading them.

3) Find a good trainer in your area and sign up for a class -  whether its a puppy or a rescue. Dogs need consistency and 73% of the dog training is about training the entire family to use the same commands and be consistent. You can't have one kid walking the dog where the dog does whatever it wants and the other kid demanding the dog heel for the entire walk. Figure out what works and make sure everybody sticks to it. That's what the dog needs

Our 12 yr old daughter told us she didn't want a dog, she NEEDED a dog. And we went through the same thought process you outlined above...and then we did the video and the contract with both kids. Worked like a charm. They still gripe from time to time, but a replay of their video is always compelling. Just push play, sit back and smile at em.

Good luck and enjoy it; Dogs + Kids = 10x the fun and they learn a lot along the way.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I know you're just joking around and given your profession -  you also know not to let the teenagers call the shots and run the asylum. You have the greatest BCD available to you, use it to your advantage. BCD ? Behavior Control Device, aka their phones. Even the threat of losing access will help convince them into living up to their responsibilities.

1) Have them each record a short video where they promise to walk the dog, feed the dog, groom the dog, pick up the poop etc and send that video to you. Then when any issues come up, you simply refer them to the video they recorded of their promise. Then you don't have to be the bad guy, they made a commitment. Hold them to their word.

2) Have them sit down and read & sign an actual Dog Care Contract - by making it into a Big Deal, you are teaching them how the world works, what it means to make a commitment and what it means to sign on the dotted line.
Their generation grew up mindlessly " accepting terms and conditions" online without reading them.

3) Find a good trainer in your area and sign up for a class -  whether its a puppy or a rescue. Dogs need consistency and 73% of the dog training is about training the entire family to use the same commands and be consistent. You can't have one kid walking the dog where the dog does whatever it wants and the other kid demanding the dog heel for the entire walk. Figure out what works and make sure everybody sticks to it. That's what the dog needs

Our 12 yr old daughter told us she didn't want a dog, she NEEDED a dog. And we went through the same thought process you outlined above...and then we did the video and the contract with both kids. Worked like a charm. They still gripe from time to time, but a replay of their video is always compelling. Just push play, sit back and smile at em.

Good luck and enjoy it; Dogs + Kids = 10x the fun and they learn a lot along the way.

Oh yeah well aware  of BCD's, though my greater understanding came from my wife, the HR Manager, more than anyone else.  As it is, the twins are really, really hesitant to even bring up the topic of getting social media accounts because their mom told them that if they get them she's going to have both their login info's saved on her phone and if a password is changed without her being notified, access to the device would go away (and they're smart enough to know that, if things were left to stand, she wouldn't hesitate a second to lock them out of their accounts if she needed to in order to mete out punishment for something).

Also, I've already put my foot down (for my own sanity and safety, because I don't want to have to worry about my wife wanting to spend out the nose for new furnishings dying from death-via-chewing): No puppies.  Maybe, it's my own personal experience playing a big part, but I had rescue dogs growing up and never felt like I was cheated out of anything.

35 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

3 teens and all I have to do is pick up food. Its been that way since the others were alive. Best part is every day after school theyre all working with her together for a bit. 

Let them know its their responsibility, give them the know-how and hold them to it. And it becomes a normal routine like brushing teeth after awhile. And any gripes are usually directed at each other, holding each other accountable.

6 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Oh yeah well aware  of BCD's, though my greater understanding came from my wife, the HR Manager, more than anyone else.  As it is, the twins are really, really hesitant to even bring up the topic of getting social media accounts because their mom told them that if they get them she's going to have both their login info's saved on her phone and if a password is changed without her being notified, access to the device would go away (and they're smart enough to know that, if things were left to stand, she wouldn't hesitate a second to lock them out of their accounts if she needed to in order to mete out punishment for something).

Also, I've already put my foot down (for my own sanity and safety, because I don't want to have to worry about my wife wanting to spend out the nose for new furnishings dying from death-via-chewing): No puppies.  Maybe, it's my own personal experience playing a big part, but I had rescue dogs growing up and never felt like I was cheated out of anything.

Ordered one of the kids a new Sonic toothbrush. UPS sat it where the puppy could reach it. Gone... Same with a pair of snow boots for the 4yo. Found them at night. Cause the heels would light up, and were flashing away with each chew. lol

Only been a few months. And the damage total is nearing her cost.

Im no fan of puppies myself.

5 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Ordered one of the kids a new Sonic toothbrush. UPS sat it where the puppy could reach it. Gone... Same with a pair of snow boots for the 4yo. Found them at night. Cause the heels would light up, and were flashing away with each chew. lol

Only been a few months. And the damage total is nearing her cost.

Im no fan of puppies myself.

Yeah, my wife is an only child so we've got some antique furniture (we're talking 100-year-old stuff here), passed down by her grandma, and she might literally kill if any of it got chewed up.

Edited by Dr LBC

24 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Yeah, my wife is an only child so we've got some antique furniture (we're talking 100-year-old stuff here), passed down by her grandma, and she might literally kill if any of it got chewed up.

For anything wooden hot sauce is a good deterrent. Just lightly dab some hot sauce on wooden legs etc. The dog might touch it once. It worked really well with adult rescues and it’s working well with our pup.

• Like 1

opinions on Presa Canario’s?

I’ve always had Saint Bernards or pitbulls mostly. And I understand all about the temperament from these dogs as much as I could from online research.

Theyre very difficult to obtain it seems, and there’s an opportunity to get a puppy about 45 minutes from me. Very tempting lol. Just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts/experiences with them

Edited by DaPatsKid98

17 hours ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

I’ve always had Saint Bernards or pitbulls mostly. And I understand all about the temperament from these dogs as much as I could from online research.

Theyre very difficult to obtain it seems, and there’s an opportunity to get a puppy about 45 minutes from me. Very tempting lol. Just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts/experiences with them

I would imagine they're similar to most other Mastiff breeds. 

What do you know about the breeder of this puppy? 

On 3/13/2022 at 10:46 PM, DaPatsKid98 said:

Im being tempted by a top notch Airedale Terrier breeder about the same distance away. Kid was lined up to check them out but this Sheppard opportunity popped up with a "Yes or Next in line" option.

Dont shed and hypoallergenic. Mainly they dont shed.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:51 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

Im being tempted by a top notch Airedale Terrier breeder about the same distance away. Kid was lined up to check them out but this Sheppard opportunity popped up with a "Yes or Next in line" option.

Dont shed and hypoallergenic. Mainly they dont shed.

No dog is truly hypoallergenic, and all dogs shed - some just do it less often or have a finer type of coat so you don't notice it as much.

The whole "hypoallergenic" thing arose from doodle breeders as a way to try and market their mutts. 

Which Airedale breeder? I have a friend out in California who breeds and shows them. 

2 hours ago, D82 said:

No dog is truly hypoallergenic, and all dogs shed - some just do it less often or have a finer type of coat so you don't notice it as much.

The whole "hypoallergenic" thing arose from doodle breeders as a way to try and market their mutts. 

Which Airedale breeder? I have a friend out in California who breeds and shows them. 

http://www.jovalairedales.com/  and another she spoke with was at Hollybriar Farms in VA.

All shed. But my allergy is very mild.

Like the Golden stuck with me all morning, but were outside so it has no real effect. Its when I go to peoples homes that allow pets. And the stagnant, dusty, dander/fur filled air gets to me.