Dogs

D82

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

Eh, you can have thicker coated dog breeds just fine in the warmer climates. Know several Husky breeders/handlers who live down this way and have no issues keeping their dogs comfortable. 

That's good to know. Maybe there are methods but I've obviously never had to research them before. Dallas at least still has times where it gets relatively cool though (if that's where you're at which I thought it was)

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

That's good to know. Maybe there are methods but I've obviously never had to research them before. Dallas at least still has times where it gets relatively cool though (if that's where you're at which I thought it was)

I’m in Houston area, so doesn’t get as cool here as it does in Dallas (though it is like 55° right now). 

Usually care just involves having A/C, lots of water and monitoring exercise during the warmer parts of the day. Making sure the coat is well-groomed helps too (never shave though). 

• Like 2

My family has had a dog everyday I've been alive(44 years)  We had 4 at one time(one was mine)  My parents told me when I was a baby the dog we had got in the crib with me, she was very curious of me.  Currently my parents only have 1 and she's 12(acts younger)   Id get one, but it would be by itself a lot, and that's not fair to it.  If you can't take care of a dog, don't get one.  I hope I can get one sometime.

• Like 1

We're at that interesting stage as a family.  The twins are at that age where they swear they want a dog and more importantly will take care of said dog, but they're also going to be teens soon and I know damn well that that means their ability to take responsibilities seriously will go out the window.  And the youngest is 6... so it's not like he's going to be capable of stuff like walking the dog (I refuse to own small dogs - never have, never will; they're rats that eat kibble), at best we might be able to get him to pick up dog poop - but I'm not sure how much I trust him to not just start playing with said poop.

I've convinced my oldest son that it's probably in his best interest we wait until he's in that pre-driving stage of teenhood where he's still interested in girls, because lacking a car, a dog is the easiest icebreaker he'll be able to find.  And then if he slacks off on his responsibilities, I'll have his sister kick his butt (and she is fully capable of this now - hell, she can tap me!).

• 2 weeks later...

I miss my pug. He lived to be 19 and my wife and I want another but compared to when my parents got him when I was a kid, the price has like... quadrupled. I've also had 4 labs and an Australian Shepard but they don't seem to make it past 10 years very often. My last one was 11, was fine at the doctors getting scanned for cancer, fully checked out, etc. 6 weeks later, cancer.  Ugh. My dudes. 

3 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I miss my pug. He lived to be 19 and my wife and I want another but compared to when my parents got him when I was a kid, the price has like... quadrupled. I've also had 4 labs and an Australian Shepard but they don't seem to make it past 10 years very often. My last one was 11, was fine at the doctors getting scanned for cancer, fully checked out, etc. 6 weeks later, cancer.  Ugh. My dudes. 

Maybe there’s a breed specific adoption group nearby?

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Cool place to live?  

Been once and headed back next month.  Obv a great place to visit.

It's great. I'm an avid fisherman so I like going out even if it's just off the beach to fish or in my kayak or on a dock. It's nice because there's not a lot of people even vacation wise compared to say Port Aranas which isn't all that nice and has 3x the amount of people on summer weekends. Water is always warm unlike the beaches I frequented in Florida and the north east as a kid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Probably going to have to go closer to Houston for that. Not many dog breeders on South Padre.

If you're looking to go with a breeder - let me know, and I'll point you in the right direction. 

Can also help you out with breed specific rescues if you're looking to go that route.

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, D82 said:

275379020_10158204459985047_617508490697

Hurry says this is the best part of dog shows 

My oldest is getting one exactly like yours. 2 weeks out from picking her up, just picked out.

And whats so great. Is that its part of her prep work for college. That dog will be by her side, very well trained. Makes me feel good.

8 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

My oldest is getting one exactly like yours. 2 weeks out from picking her up, just picked out.

And whats so great. Is that its part of her prep work for college. That dog will be by her side, very well trained. Makes me feel good.

There’s nothing like em. 

51 minutes ago, D82 said:

There’s nothing like em. 

Lost 2 Golden Retrievers a month apart in 2020. Got a female Golden end of last year for breeding. This one was picked out as female. Then another female Golden before summer.

Im less than happy about all these female dogs. lol