Dogs

D82

13 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

But I completely agree with you, we have so many people by us that walk their dog off leash and do the same thing when they start coming at our dog.  

There are only two people in my neighborhood known for this and one is a senior dog that never leaves his owners side by more than 10 feet and the other is a mini-Aussie so I would never fear either and both know my dog well b/c I'm out all the damn time I feel like. I find it strange that so many people in your area walk w/o leashes but I guess I'm just used to what i see on a daily basis. I would think most people would know not to do this unless you're in a confined area like a park.

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

There are only two people in my neighborhood known for this and one is a senior dog that never leaves his owners side by more than 10 feet and the other is a mini-Aussie so I would never fear either and both know my dog well b/c I'm out all the damn time I feel like. I find it strange that so many people in your area walk w/o leashes but I guess I'm just used to what i see on a daily basis. I would think most people would know not to do this unless you're in a confined area like a park.

In most areas, dogs aren't allowed to be off-leash - it's the law. But, people are stupid and think their dogs have such a great recall...until they don't. 

Dogs have been shot because they are off-leash and attack or are believed to be poised to attack another person/dog. Unless you're in an area where they are allowed to be off-leash, they shouldn't be. 

My guys are only off-lead in the yard. Any other time they are on leash, and we never greet other dogs that we don't know on-lead. You're asking for trouble 9/10 times. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, D82 said:

In most areas, dogs aren't allowed to be off-leash - it's the law. But, people are stupid and think their dogs have such a great recall...until they don't. 

Dogs have been shot because they are off-leash and attack or are believed to be poised to attack another person/dog. Unless you're in an area where they are allowed to be off-leash, they shouldn't be. 

My guys are only off-lead in the yard. Any other time they are on leash, and we never greet other dogs that we don't know on-lead. You're asking for trouble 9/10 times. 

Yeah, we have a neighborhood FB group where people, usually on a bi-weekly basis, ***** about these two people walking their dog off their leashes. I agree w/ you that they should never be but I know them well enough to not fear them. I live in a fairly quiet area so there's not a ton of traffic either even though both are generally close to their owners anyway. The people that are strange, to me, are the two other people I see walking their dog off a leash until they see someone else walking a dog and then they instantly leash their pup. What's the point? This makes no sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 8:10 AM, JonStark said:

Not sure anyone here needs to hear this but I need to vent. 

If your dog gets out of the yard/their leash and you're yelling to me that he's friendly as their are sprinting over to us, my dogs don't understand what you're saying and if it gets close enough, they are going to protect us. Yesterday marks the 10th time a dog has busted out and run up to us since we moved to the neighborhood. Thankfully my 3 are able to defend themselves but the other dog yesterday unfortunately got a nice gash on his lip. 

Dogs aren't social animals. They are pack animals. Some can be fine with a stranger running up to their face but most will get defensive. I would do the same if someone was running up to my wife and I screaming at us. Being protective over their pack does not mean they are aggressive.  

Well said. I cannot stand when people actively walk their dog off leash, my condo neighbor does it all the time. Let's the dog right outside without a leash.

Idgaf how "nice" or "friendly" your dog is. You don't know how my dog is going to react.

• Like 2

@D82 sorry I haven't posted an update! Bagel is doing well! He's now about 27/28 lb at 8 months old. We started taking him to daycare once a week, it really helps him socialize a bit extra and also gives us a little bit of a break. He's in the midst of his adolescence, but it's not that bad. He can be a bit stubborn and won't immediately do commands, but he has a very submissive personality so if we give him a stern no then he usually listens. He's getting neutered in a little less than a month (he'll be 9 months) which I'm sure he won't be thrilled about but he was never going to be a stud dog. Although he is over qualified, imo.

L2hxN7d.jpg

iJMKzUN.jpg

OQwxhNA.jpg

10/10, possibly the best dog of all time

• Like 5

Actually, on a related note there are a lot of things going on in our personal lives and we are almost assuredly moving later this year. I think it'll just be ~30 mile move instead of cross country, but I am worried about overstressing the baby 🐕‍🦺Anyone have any advice about how to move to not stress out a puppy/young dog? My biggest concern is that Bagel is very territorial of his couch and he won't like us breaking it down and moving it. He gets REALLY stressed just when we clean the couch.

2 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

Actually, on a related note there are a lot of things going on in our personal lives and we are almost assuredly moving later this year. I think it'll just be ~30 mile move instead of cross country, but I am worried about overstressing the baby 🐕‍🦺Anyone have any advice about how to move to not stress out a puppy/young dog? My biggest concern is that Bagel is very territorial of his couch and he won't like us breaking it down and moving it. He gets REALLY stressed just when we clean the couch.

He's a handsome dude! 

Try looking for a calming aide to give him when you guys are moving. That should help. Ask your vet which one though, as there are several on the market and I'm not sure which one would be the best to suggest. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 11:29 AM, D82 said:

He's a handsome dude! 

Try looking for a calming aide to give him when you guys are moving. That should help. Ask your vet which one though, as there are several on the market and I'm not sure which one would be the best to suggest. 

Not 100% on what you mean by a calming aid, is it like a CBD oil?

2 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

Not 100% on what you mean by a calming aid, is it like a CBD oil?

CBD oil is one option. They have calming chews and other similar things you can find at PetSmart and other pet stores too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Damn...just found out our Golden is going to need TECA-BO surgery on both her ears
Its the unfortunate result of chronic ear infections. ( its not uncommon)

We've been treating her medically for 3 years with no luck, so surgery* is last option available. She will be mostly deaf once the surgeries are completed, so we are trying to re-train her to pay attention to hand signals and foot stomps before the surgery. Damn. 

* If anybody has been through this procedure before, kindly let me know about your results.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/total-ear-canal-ablation-and-bulla-osteotomy-tecabo

"This surgery involves the complete removal of the ear canal and tympanic bulla (middle ear), leaving only the ear flap (pinna) remaining."

dog-earcanal_updated2017-01-01scaler.ash

On 1/17/2022 at 7:10 PM, Shanedorf said:

Damn...just found out our Golden is going to need TECA-BO surgery on both her ears
Its the unfortunate result of chronic ear infections. ( its not uncommon)

We've been treating her medically for 3 years with no luck, so surgery* is last option available. She will be mostly deaf once the surgeries are completed, so we are trying to re-train her to pay attention to hand signals and foot stomps before the surgery. Damn. 

* If anybody has been through this procedure before, kindly let me know about your results.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/total-ear-canal-ablation-and-bulla-osteotomy-tecabo

"This surgery involves the complete removal of the ear canal and tympanic bulla (middle ear), leaving only the ear flap (pinna) remaining."

dog-earcanal_updated2017-01-01scaler.ash

Sorry to hear that.  Wishing her a speedy recovery.