Dogs

D82

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2020/Bills/A2500/2401_I1.HTM?fbclid=IwAR15Sd2Z-Hn-OjoamHAykYqo9MN-cfmNApQ7Yau-MEaTDbm9Wl7ehn2z21U

The fact that this is actually being voted on is a joke. If by some chance it passes, all owners of "large dogs" will need to have a fenced in yard or get a $500 fine every day. 

Why not just increase the penalties for animal abuse/irresponsibility so that the ones who deserve to be punished are the only ones affected? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JonStark said:

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2020/Bills/A2500/2401_I1.HTM?fbclid=IwAR15Sd2Z-Hn-OjoamHAykYqo9MN-cfmNApQ7Yau-MEaTDbm9Wl7ehn2z21U

The fact that this is actually being voted on is a joke. If by some chance it passes, all owners of "large dogs" will need to have a fenced in yard or get a $500 fine every day. 

Why not just increase the penalties for animal abuse/irresponsibility so that the ones who deserve to be punished are the only ones affected? 

Yeah…this is just an asinine law. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, D82 said:

Yeah…this is just an asinine law. 

They voted yes on it. 😔

I'm honestly shocked they think that bill is a good idea. Not only is it going to break up a lot of families, taxpayers are going to be paying a lot more because of it. 

Just now, JonStark said:

They voted yes on it. 😔

I'm honestly shocked they think that bill is a good idea. Not only is it going to break up a lot of families, taxpayers are going to be paying a lot more because of it. 

See that last part? That’s why they voted on it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Things seem to have worked out for our situation, we have a tentative gotcha day of July 9th for our puppy! Things have been great since we actually got in touch with a reputable breeder. But it was definitely tough getting in touch with the right people, and I wish that the network of reputable breeders were better so people didn't go to backyard breeders.

• Like 2

Anyone in here have experience with a dying dog and how long it takes roughly? 

I think my dog has begun the dying process but am not too sure what to expect he doesn’t greet me at the door anymore, he doesn’t get up from the couch when I grab his leash for walks, he only will go on a walk when i out the leash on him when he’s laying on the couch then he will get up and get off the couch for a walk, when I give him his food in the morning he doesn’t get up and eat right away he usually eats his first meal around dinner time and after that I fill his bowl again for his 2nd meal and sometimes he won’t eat it other times he will eat it in the middle of the night, he also sleeps pretty much all day now expect when he walks and eats give or take a little bit when he’s looking out the door, I’ve heard that when your eyes start to itch around then that’s another sign that they’re dying but am not too sure either that. My eyes have been itchy around him since about January. 

I adopted my first dog 5 or so years ago and he’s the first dog I’ve owned and am not too sure what to expect when it comes to this process so I’m just curious if anyone has experience in this regard and what it’s like and how long it takes. 

I guess I’m just trying to get more info about it as I’ve never owned a dog before and have no one to talk to about it. how long does it take? How do you know when you’re real close to the dog passing? How far along would you guess based on your experience is he right now?

the vets says he’s fine for the most part just suffers from arthritis and some neurological disorder. 

thabks in advance and sorry for the grim post but this is all so new to me. 

18 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I think my dog has begun the dying process but am not too sure what to expect he doesn’t greet me at the door anymore, he doesn’t get up from the couch when I grab his leash for walks, he only will go on a walk when i out the leash on him when he’s laying on the couch then he will get up and get off the couch for a walk, when I give him his food in the morning he doesn’t get up and eat right away he usually eats his first meal around dinner time and after that I fill his bowl again for his 2nd meal and sometimes he won’t eat it other times he will eat it in the middle of the night, he also sleeps pretty much all day now expect when he walks and eats give or take a little bit when he’s looking out the door, I’ve heard that when your eyes start to itch around then that’s another sign that they’re dying but am not too sure either that. My eyes have been itchy around him since about January. 

I adopted my first dog 5 or so years ago and he’s the first dog I’ve owned and am not too sure what to expect when it comes to this process so I’m just curious if anyone has experience in this regard and what it’s like and how long it takes. 

I guess I’m just trying to get more info about it as I’ve never owned a dog before and have no one to talk to about it. how long does it take? How do you know when you’re real close to the dog passing? How far along would you guess based on your experience is he right now?

the vets says he’s fine for the most part just suffers from arthritis and some neurological disorder. 

We lost a dog in March. She was going downhill for about three weeks, I think, before we put her down, but that was after we were fairly sure she was dying.

If he’s not in a situation where you feel like he needs to see a vet, it’s probably fine. We took Sadie to the vet six or seven times in the last month before she passed.

For us, Sadie had been more and more lethargic all winter. We thought she was just finding warm spots and staying there, but it was probably the beginning of her health failing. She started losing weight noticeably about a month before the first really scary incident, where she trapped herself under a side table while we were gone.

For the last few weeks, it was really obvious she was dying. She was 13, covered in tumors, and had no teeth left.

It sucks to go through, but it’s an unfortunate part of pet owning. Cherish the time.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Sorry you are going through this. It's not really an answer, but it really depends on the dog. If the vet says they are ok, then you probably have a bit left. 

There's definitely going on for him to be that lethargic though. I would try getting him some CBD oil for the arthritis and depending on the disorder, it could help with that too. If everything internally is healthy enough, he may just be extremely discomfort able because of those two things but the CBD could definitely help. Here's the stuff I use for my pups.

https://www.asherhousewellness.com/

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 8:50 PM, mattyice0401 said:

How old is he? 

What are you feeding him?

Do you have him on any kind of joint supplements? 

11 hours ago, D82 said:

How old is he? 

What are you feeding him?

Do you have him on any kind of joint supplements? 

IM not too sure how old he is I adopted him maybe 9-10 years old hes a GSD

Ive been feeding him blue for awhile now and has always devoured it, Hes devoured anything ive ever given him

And he does the vet said he has arthritis and something I forget the name of it thats starting to make him drag his back paws something that the receptors in his brain arent working properly and sending things correctly, Hes starting to lose his balance a lot, walks really slowly now and sometimes when were walking his hips sorta give out on him (if that makes any sense) to where he cant walk properly or like control his his back legs.

I do not have any joint supplements ive been told they dont really work anddont really do all too much just from what ive read and heard.

Edited by mattyice0401

4 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

IM not too sure how old he is I adopted him maybe 9-10 years old hes a GSD

Ive been feeding him blue for awhile now and has always devoured it, Hes devoured anything ive ever given him

And he does the vet said he has arthritis and something I forget the name of it thats starting to make him drag his back paws something that the receptors in his brain arent working properly and sending things correctly, Hes starting to lose his balance a lot, walks really slowly now and sometimes when were walking his hips sorta give out on him (if that makes any sense) to where he cant walk properly or like control his his back legs.

I do not have any joint supplements ive been told they dont really work anddont really do all too much just from what ive read and heard.

Blue's not really a great food. I'd maybe try Pro Plan Bright Minds or Victor. I'd recommend putting him on some Glucosamine & MSM supplements, some CBD oil for the joints and some fish oil (make sure it has Omega 3's). 

Did your vet say Degenerative Myelopathy? That's something that's fairly common in GSDs, hence why we always do a DM test on dogs before breeding and try to avoid breeding DM affected dogs. I will tell you I had a friend who had a girl who lived to be 12 or 13 before they had to put her down with DM, she got along just fine and was as spry as a pup until it got to the point where her quality of life just wasn't the best and they had to put her down. I know some people use those little scooters to help their dogs who are affected get around as well. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, D82 said:

Blue's not really a great food. I'd maybe try Pro Plan Bright Minds or Victor. I'd recommend putting him on some Glucosamine & MSM supplements, some CBD oil for the joints and some fish oil (make sure it has Omega 3's). 

Did your vet say Degenerative Myelopathy? That's something that's fairly common in GSDs, hence why we always do a DM test on dogs before breeding and try to avoid breeding DM affected dogs. I will tell you I had a friend who had a girl who lived to be 12 or 13 before they had to put her down with DM, she got along just fine and was as spry as a pup until it got to the point where her quality of life just wasn't the best and they had to put her down. I know some people use those little scooters to help their dogs who are affected get around as well. 

I looked up DM and that sounds exactly right as to what hes going through and sounds familiar as to what the vet told me he had vet visits were hard with covid and having to do the appointment over a phone and what not, How long can doggos live with it before it gets to bad? did your friends doggo have DM for 12-13 years or no?

At what point would you say its time to put a doggo down that has DM?

Thank you for your help I dont really have anyone in my life to help me out with and Ive never owned a dog before so im too sure at what point you have to put a dog down and all that.

5 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

I looked up DM and that sounds exactly right as to what hes going through and sounds familiar as to what the vet told me he had vet visits were hard with covid and having to do the appointment over a phone and what not, How long can doggos live with it before it gets to bad? did your friends doggo have DM for 12-13 years or no?

At what point would you say its time to put a doggo down that has DM?

Thank you for your help I dont really have anyone in my life to help me out with and Ive never owned a dog before so im too sure at what point you have to put a dog down and all that.

So DM is usually an old dog disease, it really doesn't hit them until they're older in life. 

I want to say it really started to hit her around the time she was 9 or 10...so she had a good 3-4 years. But she had a very strong front and aside from not being able to use her hind legs, she was fairly able to keep herself clean (no accidents and able to go outside to relieve herself). It's when she started to lose control of her bowels is about when she started to decline and when my friend made the decision to euthanize. 

That decision though is ultimately up to you. Nobody knows your dog better than you, and you'll know when his quality of life just isn't what it should be. I'd definitely go with a food change and add those supplements I mentioned and see what happens. If he does have DM, it's not likely to improve his ability to use his rear - but it should help with any discomfort he's in and improve his quality of life for whatever time he has left. 

• Like 1