Dogs

D82

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I've been adding a spoonful of pumpkin into my dogs' once-a-day wet meals - the dogs love the flavor and consistency, I can cut their wet servings by half and save a bit of money and it's apparently good for their digestive system.

Is there anything I'm not looking at that might cause some issues down the line? I'd say it's about 1.5 Tsp a day, so a can of Libby's Pumpkin will last me about a week between both dogs.

So if you feed too much pumpkin it can have the opposite effect of what your looking to do (i.e. cause loose stools). But if the amount you’re feeding now isn’t causing issues, you should be ok.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two questions for my stray dog who loves to dip into a puddle or water ditch. Because he refuses to come into my house I can't take him to vet for further full exam or whatever.

1) Advantix II works? 

2) pumpkin seeds for tapeworm actually works?

thanks.

19 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Two questions for my stray dog who loves to dip into a puddle or water ditch. Because he refuses to come into my house I can't take him to vet for further full exam or whatever.

1) Advantix II works? 

thanks.

Advantix is better than nothing. Still prefer the prescription stuff if you are able to somehow get him there. 

My wife is pretty knowledgeable with this kind of stuff but has never heard of the pumpkin seed thing. I don't think it would hurt in any way to try, but she couldn't say if it would work or not. 

That's pretty awesome you're trying to help him. Just keep trying to earn his trust day by day and he'll probably eventually feel comfortable enough with you to come inside. Just don't push it too fast. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JetsandI said:

1) Advantix II works? 

thanks.

1. Advantix II doesn't work, at least not that I've found anymore. Until you can get him to trust you for a vet visit for a pill preventative, see if you can't get a Seresto collar around him. 

2. Never heard of that as a treatment for tapeworm. Get some dewormer (can usually find it at Petco/Petsmart) and sprinkle it on his food. 

As far as getting him into the house - have you tried baiting him with some raw food? Like chicken/steak? Something of high value might work to get him inside. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, D82 said:

1. Advantix II doesn't work, at least not that I've found anymore. Until you can get him to trust you for a vet visit for a pill preventative, see if you can't get a Seresto collar around him. 

2. Never heard of that as a treatment for tapeworm. Get some dewormer (can usually find it at Petco/Petsmart) and sprinkle it on his food. 

As far as getting him into the house - have you tried baiting him with some raw food? Like chicken/steak? Something of high value might work to get him inside. 

Congress or some strong petition calls for discontinuing Seresto collar.   That is my 3rd concern.

1st - he always dips into water to get bathing or drink water.  The quality of Seresto could be degraded quickly.

2nd - roaming through wooded area.   he could stuck there or lose the collar.

He was badly abused by previous owner(s).   The latest owners tried their best to take a care of him but they are young and workaholic.   I even prepared food inside with door open.  He just danced around in front of opened door.

Will check dewormer products on chewy and amazon.  thanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Congress or some strong petition calls for discontinuing Seresto collar.   That is my 3rd concern.

1st - he always dips into water to get bathing or drink water.  The quality of Seresto could be degraded quickly.

2nd - roaming through wooded area.   he could stuck there or lose the collar.

He was badly abused by previous owner(s).   The latest owners tried their best to take a care of him but they are young and workaholic.   I even prepared food inside with door open.  He just danced around in front of opened door.

Will check dewormer products on chewy and amazon.  thanks.

There's always some risk with chemical flea & tick preventative, but with him roaming around...you're right, that may not be the best choice. 

I'd maybe check out some of the natural preventatives, maybe one of the sprays. 

20 minutes ago, D82 said:

There's always some risk with chemical flea & tick preventative, but with him roaming around...you're right, that may not be the best choice. 

I'd maybe check out some of the natural preventatives, maybe one of the sprays. 

I am more of focusing on tick situation than flea.  Advantix II still no go?

1 hour ago, D82 said:

my two cents: give him high value food outside in a safe spot, but don't eyeball him while he's checking it out. As soon as the stray knows you're watching, he's gonna be nervous and on alert. Put the food out and get busy doing other things - you want to create the impression you're ignoring him - instead of monitoring him. That will help him let his guard down.

Then, after a few feedings, he'll get more comfy with you and the food and he'll know nothing scary happened when he ate it. Might take a few days/week but he will come around...good luck

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone potentially explain something to me?

In our household, we have 2 English Bulldog/Poodle mixes. They're sisters, from the same litter, my in-laws own one and my wife and I own the other.

They play literally every single day for hours on end, but in the mornings when they first meet it gets very chippy and often seems aggressive. It's the weirdest thing.

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Can someone potentially explain something to me?

In our household, we have 2 English Bulldog/Poodle mixes. They're sisters, from the same litter, my in-laws own one and my wife and I own the other.

They play literally every single day for hours on end, but in the mornings when they first meet it gets very chippy and often seems aggressive. It's the weirdest thing.

My dogs always get excited in the mornings and when the more "in your face" one come in too hot, the others can get chippy. Also could have something to do with food if it's feeding time. 

Some of the time they get into it I can't even find a reason though. Could just be wired differently.