Dogs

D82

8 minutes ago, JonStark said:

CBD works great for my dog with anxiety (and also for the older one with arthritis). I'm not too familiar with the treats but I know that you get for what you pay for with CBD. My dad who has horrible arthritis in his knees tried the stuff that I/my dogs take and said it worked wonders, and then tried to get some cheap stuff on amazon when it ran out and that stuff did nothing for his knees but messed up his stomach. 

We use the Asherhouse Wellness brand and just sprinkle it on their food, but just make sure you look into the ingredients before you buy something. 

Good information, thanks. AKC is doing some research on CBD and seizures in dogs, so that relieves me a bit.

What sort of frequently do you administer? Every meal or no?

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Good information, thanks. AKC is doing some research on CBD and seizures in dogs, so that relieves me a bit.

What sort of frequently do you administer? Every meal or no?

Yeah the guy who created this brand started using CBD for his saint bernard because he said she would have uncontrollable seizures almost every day and hasn't had one since using CBD. I was initially skeptical because it almost seems too good to be true that it can help all these different ailments, but it really does. Like I said though, just make sure you're getting good quality stuff. 

We just give a half of a dropper with their morning meal. The one I get has it spelled out on the label how many drops a dog should get depending on their size. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

My girl Katja is going to a two week training session in July - our boarding location offers them, it's a full two week immersion program where they break some bad manners while providing leash training and socialization. 

We enrolled Sasha in there back when she was about six months old, and we're happy with those results. 

Speaking of Sasha - I don't know why, but she is SO timid and nervous lately. She runs around noon stop with a nervous energy, she can't seem to relax on her own. This really showed at the vet on Friday - she was bearing her teeth at the vet assistant, tried to bite him a few times while they were trying to examine her. They had to muzzle her, and even then she was growling like a psycho. She was so freaked out she pooped herself.

I legit don't know what to do - she's never been like that before. Advice? My wife thinks we could give her those CBD dog treats, but I'm very hesitant to do so right now...

Puppies sometimes go through fear periods. CBD treats may help, also just make sure not to "feed' into the behavior (don't coddle, reward without first making her do something worth rewarding, etc.) and she should work her way through it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

Puppies sometimes go through fear periods. CBD treats may help, also just make sure not to "feed' into the behavior (don't coddle, reward without first making her do something worth rewarding, etc.) and she should work her way through it. 

Guilty of feeding into it with the coddling... Specifically me, not even my wife. I need to get better.

5 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Yeah the guy who created this brand started using CBD for his saint bernard because he said she would have uncontrollable seizures almost every day and hasn't had one since using CBD. I was initially skeptical because it almost seems too good to be true that it can help all these different ailments, but it really does. Like I said though, just make sure you're getting good quality stuff. 

We just give a half of a dropper with their morning meal. The one I get has it spelled out on the label how many drops a dog should get depending on their size. 

I'll look into this today, great information...

• Like 2

Mainly just complaining here, but man is it hard to get a dog right now. My girlfriend and I are trying our darnedest to get a Corgi right now, but it is impossible. Going to anywhere besides a backyard breeder requires so much follow through. Breeders only get back with us if we follow up on an application via email or phone, usually on a number they don't list on their breeder pages. The most frustrating thing is we don't know if there is something about us that they found unacceptable or if they just are so inundated with requests that they never saw our application.

And this is all to get on a 6+ month waitlist and then pay $2,000+ for a puppy 🙄

Edited by Nozizaki
grammar

3 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

Mainly just complaining here, but man is it hard to get a dog right now. My girlfriend and I are trying our darnedest to get a Corgi right now, but it is impossible. Going to anywhere besides a backyard breeder requires so much follow through. Breeders only get back with us if we follow up on an application via email or phone, usually on a number they don't list on their breeder pages. The most frustrating thing is we don't know if there is something about us that they found unacceptable or if they just are so inundated with requests that they never saw our application.

And this is all to get on a 6+ month waitlist and then pay $2,000+ for a puppy 🙄

Where are you located? Trust me when I say it’s worth waiting for a pup from a good breeder. 

You have to keep in mind a lot of these breeders (the good ones at least) are sometimes older, so not as technologically inclined and may take a bit to get back to you. They may have litters, which is extremely time-consuming and exhausting. They may be away at shows, working, etc. 

• Like 2

Just now, D82 said:

Where are you located? Trust me when I say it’s worth waiting for a pup from a good breeder. 

In New England now, which unfortunately seems to be one of the worst places to be looking for a Pembroke Welsh right now.

I know it's worth it to wait, I don't mind waiting. We just haven't even managed to get on a waitlist yet.

Just now, Nozizaki said:

In New England now, which unfortunately seems to be one of the worst places to be looking for a Pembroke Welsh right now.

I know it's worth it to wait, I don't mind waiting. We just haven't even managed to get on a waitlist yet.

So tell me a little about your lifestyle. If you would rather take it to PM, that’s cool. 

I have quite a few friends who show/breed Corgi’s, so I’d be more than happy to help you out. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

You can get a rescue puppy in five minutes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You can get a rescue puppy in five minutes.

We're specifically looking for Corgis, though. We've tried to adopt a rescue, but that's be even tougher. Most Corgis up for adoption find homes within a day or two.

2 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

We're specifically looking for Corgis, though. We've tried to adopt a rescue, but that's be even tougher. Most Corgis up for adoption find homes within a day or two.

Nothing wrong with wanting a dog from a good breeder. 

4 minutes ago, D82 said:

Lol…no. Not always. A lot of rescues and shelters make it harder for people to get a dog. 

Never been an issue for me.  Both of the dogs I've gotten as puppies from a shelter I got the same day I first saw them.  And this is not to point fingers, it's not something I want to or would call anyone out on, but I do think it's just a liiiiiittle unethical to buy from a breeder.

Again, not something I would ever insult anyone for, just something I kinda think you shouldn't do.  Reasonable minds may differ.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Never been an issue for me.  Both of the dogs I've gotten as puppies from a shelter I got the same day I first saw them.  And this is not to point fingers, it's not something I want to or would call anyone out on, but I do think it's just a liiiiiittle unethical to buy from a breeder.

Again, not something I would ever insult anyone for, just something I kinda think you shouldn't do.  Reasonable minds may differ.

I mean, you’re saying it’s unethical. That’s an insult.