Dogs

D82

On 10/19/2021 at 12:25 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

To avoid @ramssuperbowl99from beating me up, I am legally obligated to post these pictures:

This is Griffey when he was born last October.

May be an image of dog and indoor

This is Griffey today:

May be an image of dog and indoor

And here's slightly-smaller Griffey with our other puppy, Ellie (who is Griffey's mom):

May be an image of dog

We have a 3 year old Goldendoodle, o wasn’t keen on the breed when my wife said were getting one, but he is honestly the best, sweetest most loving dog I’ve ever seen 

9 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

We have a 3 year old Goldendoodle, o wasn’t keen on the breed when my wife said were getting one, but he is honestly the best, sweetest most loving dog I’ve ever seen 

I was in the same boat, I originally didn't think that labradoodles (especially black ones) had good personalities and I couldn't have been more wrong!

• 1 month later...

Not sure anyone here needs to hear this but I need to vent. 

If your dog gets out of the yard/their leash and you're yelling to me that he's friendly as their are sprinting over to us, my dogs don't understand what you're saying and if it gets close enough, they are going to protect us. Yesterday marks the 10th time a dog has busted out and run up to us since we moved to the neighborhood. Thankfully my 3 are able to defend themselves but the other dog yesterday unfortunately got a nice gash on his lip. 

Dogs aren't social animals. They are pack animals. Some can be fine with a stranger running up to their face but most will get defensive. I would do the same if someone was running up to my wife and I screaming at us. Being protective over their pack does not mean they are aggressive.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Not sure anyone here needs to hear this but I need to vent. 

If your dog gets out of the yard/their leash and you're yelling to me that he's friendly as their are sprinting over to us, my dogs don't understand what you're saying and if it gets close enough, they are going to protect us. Yesterday marks the 10th time a dog has busted out and run up to us since we moved to the neighborhood. Thankfully my 3 are able to defend themselves but the other dog yesterday unfortunately got a nice gash on his lip. 

Dogs aren't social animals. They are pack animals. Some can be fine with a stranger running up to their face but most will get defensive. I would do the same if someone was running up to my wife and I screaming at us. Being protective over their pack does not mean they are aggressive.  

Yup. Dogs don't need friends, and not every dog is dog friendly. But this is the result of the whole societal change in the way we view animals. 

• Like 1

I witnessed a dog get out of a gate the other day, actually. I was following an elderly beagle and his elderly owner as this dog bolted towards them and maybe attacked him? Not sure but the beagle did have a wound on his lip. I was a mere 50 feet behind them and my dog was go bananas. Half husky, half ACD and has more of the size of the ACD so she's not huge but she absolutely loves to play mediator. When we're at the park, if two dogs are playing and she feels it's aggressive, she will get up next to them and start barking at them until they stop playing (or fighting in her head). She wanted to break this fight up so badly but I couldn't risk her getting injured and while I sat there helpless, I wanted to get involved as well. Luckily the owner wasn't too far behind the dog and it was stopped after 10 seconds or so. Hated feeling helpless at that time but seeing Jon's post just made me think about it and I was sitting on a meeting where the important guy didn't show up so I had time to kill while listening to everyone breathe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I witnessed a dog get out of a gate the other day, actually. I was following an elderly beagle and his elderly owner as this dog bolted towards them and maybe attacked him? Not sure but the beagle did have a wound on his lip. I was a mere 50 feet behind them and my dog was go bananas. Half husky, half ACD and has more of the size of the ACD so she's not huge but she absolutely loves to play mediator. When we're at the park, if two dogs are playing and she feels it's aggressive, she will get up next to them and start barking at them until they stop playing (or fighting in her head). She wanted to break this fight up so badly but I couldn't risk her getting injured and while I sat there helpless, I wanted to get involved as well. Luckily the owner wasn't too far behind the dog and it was stopped after 10 seconds or so. Hated feeling helpless at that time but seeing Jon's post just made me think about it and I was sitting on a meeting where the important guy didn't show up so I had time to kill while listening to everyone breathe. 

Yeah that's tough but you did the right thing. Even though you know your dog would've went into that trying to break it up, you don't know how the other dogs would react to her showing up. 

In yesterday's case it was a 130-140lb bull mastiff charging at us with the owner yelling he was friendly. Later we found out that he doesn't have his rabies shot because he "never leaves the house". How the hell do you know he's friendly if he never leaves the house? Honestly going to have to start carrying pepper spray at this point because I can't keep putting my dogs in this situation during a normal walk around the block. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Yeah that's tough but you did the right thing. Even though you know your dog would've went into that trying to break it up, you don't know how the other dogs would react to her showing up. 

In yesterday's case it was a 130-140lb bull mastiff charging at us with the owner yelling he was friendly. Later we found out that he doesn't have his rabies shot because he "never leaves the house". How the hell do you know he's friendly if he never leaves the house? Honestly going to have to start carrying pepper spray at this point because I can't keep putting my dogs in this situation during a normal walk around the block. 

My dog got attacked about 4 years ago, we carry pepper spray with us now when we walk.  Dog got away from it's owner/house and started attacking our girl.  Thank god some random guy sprinted in and started kicking at the other dog or I'm pretty sure ours would have gotten way more hurt or killed.  The owner grabbed the dog and sprinted away, total POS.  She ended up with stitches and a tube coming out of her stomach for a couple weeks, it was definitely not cheap.  Worst part is she was reactive and we had made great strides with her and that just totally reset everything.  She is super protective of us and our house now because of it.  

But I completely agree with you, we have so many people by us that walk their dog off leash and do the same thing when they start coming at our dog.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

My dog got attacked about 4 years ago, we carry pepper spray with us now when we walk.  Dog got away from it's owner/house and started attacking our girl.  Thank god some random guy sprinted in and started kicking at the other dog or I'm pretty sure ours would have gotten way more hurt or killed.  The owner grabbed the dog and sprinted away, total POS.  She ended up with stitches and a tube coming out of her stomach for a couple weeks, it was definitely not cheap.  Worst part is she was reactive and we had made great strides with her and that just totally reset everything.  She is super protective of us and our house now because of it.  

But I completely agree with you, we have so many people by us that walk their dog off leash and do the same thing when they start coming at our dog.  

Yup that's the same thing with our newest addition. He was a stray in Philly and is always very reactive but has come so far in the past year and is amazing with our other two (who are getting crabby in their old age). I just don't want him to have to keep fighting every dog that runs up to us because it's not good for his mindset. 

Your example is exactly why I don't trust any dog running at us, no matter if they are yelling he's friendly or not because all it takes is one that isn't friendly or that the owners don't fully understand and my dogs are the ones getting hurt for taking a walk. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JonStark said:

I think I did as well. It sucked to feel so helpless when I know if I was by myself, no dog, I could've run up there and helped that older man and his senior dog. The "attacker" was a smaller pit so I could've just grabbed it w/ no problems. My dog was approached by a puppy Newfie that weighs 160 lbs. The dog's sister is a very good friend of my dog but this guy, whew, just ripped the leash out of his owner's hands to come at us. The woman came to my house and apologized for like 10 minutes later that day. Anyway, if I can hold that thing off of her, I can handle that mini-pit lol. One thing I realized is, since that day, I haven't seen either the man or dog walking around. I really hope he didn't get scared and stop walking as a result. Granted, it is winter here now and temps have been right around freezing so maybe that has something to do w/ it. My damn dog loves this **** though so I'm still getting my ~4 miles a day in w/ her.

Who in the world doesn't give their dog a ******* rabies shot?? Are you kidding? And you're right, how can you know if he's friendly if he never leaves? That is suspect as all hell. Pepper spray isn't a bad idea. I always have shoes on b/c my dog likes to go into random sprints so I go out under the impression that if a stray ever approaches us, I'll just punt it in the face and be done w/ it lol. Only time I've ever really been intimidated and felt scared for myself and my dog was at the park where this lady had 3 cane corsos. Those things are very protective of their owners and can be very nasty. My dog just acts like a goofy moron, wanting to say hi to every person, and they were staring her down b/c she got too close to the owner so I just left. No need to risk it.

..... It's really easy to tell when I don't want to work......

• Like 1