Cowboys @ Bears, 12/5, 7:20 GDT

beardown3231

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Okay.  Fine.  It was just a quick take, not something I broke down and looked at closely so willing to admit I could be totally wrong.  

Is he going to get more by waiting?  Are Cowboys going to break bank on him?

This looks like either a break out year for Dak or he will regress back down next year to his previous couple of years. I'm not sure if things have clicked for him in his third or fourth year. It's an interesting situation for the Cowboys, but they would be foolish to not give him a contract and continue to build around him. I doubt he goes full Goff on them.

If the Cowboys are lucky his ascension could be similar to Big Ben - strong rookie campaign and then gradually getting better year after year until he's the one who is driving the winning.

Edited by Nads786

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Okay.  Fine.  It was just a quick take, not something I broke down and looked at closely so willing to admit I could be totally wrong.  

Metrics are one thing, but great QBs win games

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Depends on which narrative you follow. Here is a brief synopsis:

• Before the season, most sources said the "Cowboys/Dak were close". 
  • After a couple games Jerry said the deal was "imminent" 
  • Jane Slater then broke a report "Dak wants $40m/yr"
  • Every other beat writer called her a liar
  • Dak called her a liar, twice, publicly. 
  • Dak said he cant "Ask for Russell Wilson Money, because he hasn't delivered a superbowl"
  • Jerry then said "my hand doesnt cramp writing big checks, but we need to win some damn football games"

Thats where we are. Dak will probably get the Wentz/Goff deal, maybe a little more, at years end. I am thinking somewhere in the $35-36m/yr range.  

28 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

This looks like either a break out year for Dak or he will regress back down next year to his previous couple of years. I'm not sure if things have clicked for him in his third or fourth year. It's an interesting situation for the Cowboys, but they would be foolish to not give him a contract and continue to build around him. I doubt he goes full Goff on them.

If the Cowboys are lucky his ascension could be similar to Big Ben - strong rookie campaign and then gradually getting better year after year until he's the one who is driving the winning.

This narrative is wrong. Dak has been top 5-10 his entire career (50+ games) outside of one 10 game stretch that started Falcons '17. During that time Daks OL was rated either 5th or 10th worse (FO/PFF metrics) and his WR's were rated #32 (NFL Next gen) in the entire NFL. 

No QB puts up good passing stats with a bottom 5 supporting cast. 

27 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Metrics are one thing, but great QBs win games

Dak is the 2nd winningest QB in the entire NFL since entering it. Only behind Tom Brady. 

Edited by Matts4313

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

This narrative is wrong. Dak has been top 5-10 his entire career (50+ games) outside of one 10 game stretch that started Falcons '17. During that time Daks OL was rated either 5th or 10th worse (FO/PFF metrics) and his WR's were rated #32 (NFL Next gen) in the entire NFL. 

Dak is the 2nd winningest QB in the entire NFL since entering it. Only behind Tom Brady. 

That's great. Mitch Trubisky also led the Bears to a 12-4 record last year

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

That's great. Mitch Trubisky also led the Bears to a 12-4 record last year

Mitch plays defense, special teams and coaches? 

#1a most highly correlated stat to winning: QB ANY/A

#1b Most highly correlated stat to winning: Defensive QB ANY/A allowed. 

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Mitch plays defense, special teams and coaches? 

#1a most highly correlated stat to winning: QB ANY/A

#1b Most highly correlated stat to winning: Defensive QB ANY/A allowed. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree--Dak is an average quarterback

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats where we are. Dak will probably get the Wentz/Goff deal, maybe a little more, at years end. I am thinking somewhere in the $35-36m/yr range.  

I think the weirdness surrounding Dak has to do with the $40 mil/year story breaking about the same time he had that little slump, and a lot of the media folks went, "Uh-Oh!", and, more importantly (to them), "We've now got a MAJOR story here!"

As you indicate, it should get worked out. If not, the Bears should seriously consider Dak, if Trubisky doesn't continue to improve. 

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think the weirdness surrounding Dak has to do with the $40 mil/year story breaking about the same time he had that little slump, and a lot of the media folks went, "Uh-Oh!", and, more importantly (to them), "We've now got a MAJOR story here!"

As you indicate, it should get worked out. If not, the Bears should seriously consider Dak, if Trubisky doesn't continue to improve. 

If Dak would somehow become a FA (I'd give 0% chance) then the Bears should pursue him and make it happen regardless of Tru's play. I don't believe Dak is elite but he is absolutely more than enough for Chicago to be challenging for the Super Bowl. If Nagy's offense floundered with that he and Pace both should be booted, then the HC job given to Moore since Dak is so well versed in that system.

This all basically has no chance of occurring but its a fun thought.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

A top 10 OL, top 5 RB and a top 20 WR is a poor supporting cast?