Panthers fire HC Ron Rivera; secondary coach Perry Fewell named interim HC

TheKillerNacho

It was for the best to move on. The team has gotten stale under him and he would have been a lame duck had they kept him in his walk year. He'll definitely find work for a team looking for a head coach in the offseason.

Just now, iknowcool said:

Dude, you were the one stating it as a fact. It’s not my responsibility to google it myself lol

And that says more about the coaches they hired than anything.  So yes if the Panthers hire a bad coach, we will do bad.  That doesn’t mean it had anything to do with when we fired Rivera.  Correlation /=/ causation.

I stated the correlation is there.

I think there are a few pros and and cons related to it. But the pros don't make sense in this situation. Hence why I think they should've waited until after the season.

Do I think this definitely will doom the Panthers? Of course not.

Not sure what you don't get.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I stated the correlation is there.

I think there are a few pros and and cons related to it. But the pros don't make sense in this situation. Hence why I think they should've waited until after the season.

Do I think this definitely will doom the Panthers? Of course not.

Not sure what you don't get.

Dude, all I said was why wait and explained why they did it.  You in response didn’t just say “the correlation is there”, you said the results are really bad for many years after and that literally no team this century has had success after it for many years after it.  How is that not attempting to assert something as a fact? And the link you posted only showed replacement coaches in-season, not how the teams did in the years after.  

So yeah I don’t get how you can make blank statements like that without any evidence.  Showing how in season replacement coaches, who are almost always clearly just stopgap choices until the next season, don’t win many games does not show how teams have bad results for many years after as a result of firing a coach midseason. 

I can get if you think there’s better choices, but you definitely said the results are bad for many years after and no team this century has found success.  That’s all I was disputing, so I’m not sure what you don’t get 

1 minute ago, Drained said:

Is anyone getting Ron Rivera as a DC a good thing though? Yes he's had some incredible highs but as stated earlier in this thread, he took over defensive playcalling duties this year and the Panthers have a bottom five defense even with their talent.

Historically, a HC assuming coordinator/playcalling duties rarely ends well. I don't think that says much about them as a coordinator in general, though. But rather, tacking on those duties on top of being a HC is far too much for any normal person.

Ron could be a good DC again if he wants to go that route, I'd think.

15 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Everyone is getting fired. That’s why I’m saying, this is beyond Rivera.  It’s long been speculated Tepper will bring in his own staff and FO, and he was merely giving Rivera another opportunity.  Nothing changed, so we are cleaning house.  I’d be surprised to see any major name on the staff return, like Norv was already demoted off OC although I guess he’s “assistant HC” now.  Scouting department is being cleared out 

Thats why you couldn’t keep Rivera.  It was too obvious he was a goner

Any coaches worth scooping up?

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Any coaches worth scooping up?

Fewell has done a great job as DBs coach.  

Maybe Scott Turner?  Allen isn’t the future but I mean for a UDFA he’s playing very well.  Newton’s mechanics were also MUCH better and more consistent last year before his injury.  It’ll be interesting to see how he does as OC with Norv stepping back. 

Eric Washington is a solid DL coach too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Dude, all I said was why wait and explained why they did it.  You in response didn’t just say “the correlation is there”, you said the results are really bad for many years after and that literally no team this century has had success after it for many years after it.  How is that not attempting to assert something as a fact? And the link you posted only showed replacement coaches in-season, not how the teams did in the years after.  

How is  it trying to assert something as fact? I was stating the correlation, the past. Not necessarily the future.

Feel free to look into the next coach following all of those seasons. (spoiler: none of them worked out, either, other than Doug Pederson)

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

How is  it trying to assert something as fact? I was stating the correlation, the past. Not necessarily the future.

Feel free to look into the next coach following all of those seasons. (spoiler: none of them worked out, either, other than Doug Pederson)

Okay and again, correlation /=/ causation.  How does the performance of a teams next HC have ANYTHING to do with when they fired their previous coach?  Would Freddie Kitchens be better if Hue wasn’t fired midseason? 

Also I’m already questioning that because McVay has definitely worked out and Fisher was fired in December.  And that was just off the top of my head 

Edited by iknowcool