Should the Playoff format change (used to be the Dallas- Bears TNF thread)

Malfatron

who loses  

60 members have voted

1. 1. who wins

5 hours ago, Dan_Bali said:

No-one from the NFC East should be allowed near the playoffs.  Goodell has to step in and change the rules for this year for the sake of competition in the playoffs. 

Please stop! This isn't the first time and won't be the last where a Division Winner hosts a team with a better record.  

Seattle was 7-9 for God sake in 2010 and beat the Saints. Panthers 7-8-1 in 2014 beat the Cards. That is why you have Divisions. Because once in the Dance, anything can happen.  Que' 2008 Cardinals as well who were a Toe Tap away from a SB ring, with a whopping 9-7 NFCW record!!

Edited by Nabbs4u

If the Seahawks go to New Orleans in 2008, they lose. But as I Saints fan, I still don't want the playoff structure to change. I like the wildcards, but they are luck to be there. The divisions should still matter and changing the playoff structure would really diminish the importance of divisional rivalries. When the 49ers or Seahawks have to go to Dallas this year, they only have themselves to blame..should have won their own division. A couple of decades ago, they'd be watching the Cowboys from home while eating ice cream on the couch.

• Like 1

So here's my thoughts  On last night's game is for disclosure I only saw the last few minutes of the 3rd quarter and the whole 4th quarter. Based on what Troy aikman with saying the defense played really badly and you could see kind of see that in the 2nd half.

Here are the things however that stuck out to me 1st and foremost, Jerry Jones in this post game interview was furious and with every right. Dallas is playing like a terrible team right now.

Garrett knows he is getting fired after this season. You could see it on his face the entire second half. He looked like a coach who was trying to do anything to make the terror stop and it just kept getting worse.

When Dallas got the ball back, on the drive that led to the score becoming 21-31, they were walking to the line of scrimmage and taking forever to snap the ball, throwing primarily in bound dump offs. This looked like a team that was completely deflated and had no fight left. They looked like they were secretly just trying to make it stop, get out of the game. Except they forgot clearly the tv with nationally televised.

In the offseason it would not shock me if a vast majority of this team got blown up, especially on the defensive side of the ball. They just look completely lost right now.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

@Jakuvious , @PapaShogun, @N4L - Best solution I've seen so far.

That's already been discussed. I've already outlined why I don't like that idea at all. I'd rather have division games have higher stakes, with the winner getting a prize, and the loser being punished for not winning it. That makes week 17, and the playoff picture far more interesting to me. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2

I dont care how good your record is, if you weren't good enough to win your division you dont deserve to host a playoff game in the first round. Sorry but that's the reality of it. Yeah the NFCE is a dumpster fire and the division sucks but one of them have to win the division whether they like it or not.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I dont care how good your record is, if you weren't good enough to win your division you dont deserve to host a playoff game in the first round. Sorry but that's the reality of it. Yeah the NFCE is a dumpster fire and the division sucks but one of them have to win the division whether they like it or not.

I don't care if you are the least-terrible out of four teams, if you can't win more games than another team that gets second place in another division, you don't deserve to host a playoff game. Yeah the niners and Seahawks can't both win their division, but either of them deserve home field over any team in the NFCE dumpster fire

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

I don't care if you are the least-terrible out of four teams, if you can't win more games than another team that gets second place in another division, you don't deserve to host a playoff game. Yeah the niners and Seahawks can't both win their division, but either of them deserve home field over any team in the NFCE dumpster fire

I get what  You are saying and I don't necessarily disagree with you on the principle except the way the NFL is structured is the way it's always been structured so it's not like teams are coming into the season thinking that even if they come in 2nd place they might host a playoff game..

That's not how the NFL works. And we can't go changing rules just because of one division that cannot ever seem to get it figured out. Outside of Philadelphia winning a Super Bowl that division hasn't been that good it is very long time.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Teams shouldn't be awarded with HFA for going 7-9, nor should they be penalized without it for going 12-4. It's a stupid precedent. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

I guess I'm the only simpleton who hasn't come across it before. My bad.

It's not a knock, it's just that the solution is so simple and obvious, yet so many are absolutely dug in simply because that's the way it's always been.

"Just win your division!", to me, just sounds like someone who doesn't want to actually weigh each option equally and decide which one makes more sense.

Winning your division will still be important!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I get what  You are saying and I don't necessarily disagree with you on the principle except the way the NFL is structured is the way it's always been structured so it's not like teams are coming into the season thinking that even if they come in 2nd place they might host a playoff game..

That's not how the NFL works. And we can't go changing rules just because of one division that cannot ever seem to get it figured out. Outside of Philadelphia winning a Super Bowl that division hasn't been that good it is very long time.

But it doesn't HAVE to be that way. You get that, right? That's how it's structured, because that's how the owners have decided to structure it. That's how the NFL works, but only by choice.

The owners actually discuss reseeding almost every year. The reason they don't is because leaving it this way is their best shot getting that sweet sweet home game money. It has nothing to do with competative balance, or rivalries, or logic, or fairness. It's the owners money, that's it.

And this is not a rare occurrence. It happens pretty frequently actually.

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Teams shouldn't be awarded with HFA for going 7-9, nor should they be penalized without it for going 12-4. It's a stupid precedent. 

Again I do hear what you guys are saying but the issue is it's just been that way for ever. Now if they were to change it I'm not sure that I would hate it but then you get into a scenario  Where let's say a team goes 11 and 5  And wins their division and another team goes 12 and 4 but comes in 2nd place in their division but the 12 and 14 hosts the 11 and 5 team.

I'm sorry but 11 and 5 and winning your division should be good enough to get a home game. See we can't just talk about the 7 and 9 teams and act like that's the only scenario in which this would change you have to look at the entire picture and at some point it would become ridiculous

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DannyB said:

But it doesn't HAVE to be that way. You get that, right? That's how it's structured, because that's how the owners have decided to structure it. That's how the NFL works, but only by choice.

The owners actually discuss reseeding almost every year. The reason they don't is because leaving it this way is their best shot getting that sweet sweet home game money. It has nothing to do with competative balance, or rivalries, or logic, or fairness. It's the owners money, that's it.

And this is not a rare occurrence. It happens pretty frequently actually.

Teams winning the division at 7-9 which keeps getting referenced doesnt happen very often.