Should the Playoff format change (used to be the Dallas- Bears TNF thread)

Malfatron

who loses  

60 members have voted

1. 1. who wins

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

So, Jason Garrett - he's gone, right? That's not even up for discussion anymore?

Just trying to think of the best Jerry move here. I say he waits to see if Oklahoma makes the playoffs. If they don't he banks the Brinks truck up to Lincoln Riley to get him now for the end of the season.

He probably holds on to Garrett until the end of the season if OU is in the playoffs

4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Because a 2 game lead with 3 to play on a team that only has the ability to beat you once is the definition of meaningless ?

Its also a common games loss to a team that Philly beat.

This logic of your statement is truly astounding.

Yeah pretty much. As long as we beat the Eagles we are virtually guaranteed the playoffs. 

Additionally, I think you might be tone def to both our franchises. At this point, with a lame duck coach, I think well over 50% of Cowboys fans would gladly lose the division so that we dont pick in the 20's. 

Your fans dont want to win it either. Maybe stop by your forum sometime.

Edited by Matts4313

3 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

It's not like winning your division is some secret rule sprung upon teams every year. 

Win and don't worry about it.

But why reward mediocre football and punish good football?

I think most people are against it because that's how it's always been, rather than any innate logical reason.

EDIT - furthermore, all of these reasons people give for keeping the home game for division winners can just as rightly be used to argue the opposite. Hey middling football team, win more games and don't worry about it, you knew going in that the best teams would get the better seeds regardless of division. Just win and don't worry about it.

Edited by DannyB

11 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Those weren’t garbage yards. The missed field goal and offsides were both in the 2nd (?) quarter. That led to them losing 3 points and the bears getting a TD. 

I guess not - but it was 31-14 with less than 10 minutes when Dak started to put up numbers. I qualify those as garbage yards - against a defense that is intentionally playing soft.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I think most people are against it because that's how it's always been, rather than any innate logical reason.

lets say theres a really strong division

10-6, 10-6, 10-6, 8-8

then theres a wesk division with 2 top teams.

13-3, 11-5, 3-13, 3-13

i dont want the 11-5 WC team getting a home game over the 10-6 division winner

• Like 1

I make jokes about giving the division to the Vikings or the Dolphins but as a real fan I always want the playoffs.

Give me a blocked punt, a fumble, and a deflection pick and anyone can beat any team with that kind of day.

Unlike your team, my team actually beat the Packers and the Bills (playoff teams)

My team has been to 6 NFCCGs in the last 20 years. One of them was on a 9-6-1 team.

The Giants won Super Bowls at 9-7 and at 10-6

They beat teams that were 16-0, 15-1, 13-3, 13-3, and 12-4 to do it. What kind of coward would rather surrender than play?

I get how never playing in an NFCCG in the lifetime of many Cowboys fans can skew their priorities. (23 years 10 moths old or younger)

Philly fans that want to lose are just losers in my opinion.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, DannyB said:

EDIT - furthermore, all of these reasons people give for keeping the home game for division winners can just as rightly be used to argue the opposite. Hey middling football team, win more games and don't worry about it, you knew going in that the best teams would get the better seeds regardless of division. Just win and don't worry about it.

Don't be mediocre in your own division.

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I make jokes about giving the division to the Vikings or the Dolphins but as a real fan I always want the playoffs.

Give me a blocked punt, a fumble, and a deflection pick and anyone can beat any team with that kind of day.

Unlike your team, my team actually beat the Packers and the Bills (playoff teams)

My team has been to 6 NFCCGs in the last 20 years. One of them was on a 9-6-1 team.

The Giants won Super Bowls at 9-7 and at 10-6

They beat teams that were 16-0, 15-1, 13-3, and 12-4 to do it. What kind of coward would rather surrender than play?

I get how never playing in an NFCCG in the lifetime of many Cowboys fans can skew their priorities. (23 years 10 moths old or younger)

Philly fans that want to lose are just losers in my opinion.

yep.

chip and a chair.

you always want that extra game (at least) and a chance

4 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

lets say theres a really strong division

10-6, 10-6, 10-6, 8-8

then theres a wesk division with 2 top teams.

13-3, 11-5, 3-13, 3-13

i dont want the 11-5 WC team getting a home game over the 10-6 division winner

Okay, let's say it's week 14 there's a really strong division where the two best teams, record-wise in the conference lie. And the team that's in second place of that conference has ONLY lost in close games to the current #1 seeds in each conference (including their own division's leader).

And then let's say there's another division where every single team is under .500, and AT BEST, the winner will fall ***-backwards into the postseason with a 9-7 record. And a 3-9 team is somehow not mathematically eliminated from winning the division.

Oh wait, that's what is currently happening.

Look, there will be scenarios like you mentioned sometimes, and there will be scenarios like the one taking place now sometimes. We could go back and forth all night. But at least there's some logic and consistency to giving the team with the better record the home game. Going by the division winner only makes sense because that's how it's always been and it's what you're used to.