Should the Playoff format change (used to be the Dallas- Bears TNF thread)

Malfatron

who loses  

60 members have voted

1. 1. who wins

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

That's not how the NFL works. And we can't go changing rules just because of one division that cannot ever seem to get it figured out. Outside of Philadelphia winning a Super Bowl that division hasn't been that good it is very long time.

Is this just recency bias or are we all intentionally forgetting just how bad other divisions have been in the past? NFCW,  NFCS, AFCS?

As much crap as people want to talk about the NFCE this season (which is absolutely warranted mind you), this is a Division who despite what many might believe, has won 3 of the last 12 SB (2 of the last 8). Just saying.

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Is this just recency bias or are we all intentionally forgetting just how bad other divisions have been in the past? NFCW,  NFCS, AFCS?

As much crap as people want to talk about the NFCE this season (which is absolutely warranted mind you), this is a Division who despite what many might believe, has won 3 of the last 12 SB (2 of the last 8). Just saying.

Honestly it might be recency bias. Because the point you're making is fair.  But the point that I'm trying to make is that this is like walking on eggshells and if you change it the chances of it going badd are much greater than the chances of it going well

15 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Teams winning the division at 7-9 which keeps getting referenced doesnt happen very often.

Exactly.  What's even funnier is the fact the last 2 teams to have that type of record Seahawks, Panthers (7-8-1) both  Won their playoff games. 

If that 12-4/11-5 Team is supposedly better then prove it, beat em!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Honestly it might be recency bias. Because the point you're making is fair.  But the point that I'm trying to make is that this is like walking on eggshells and if you change it the chances of it going badd are much greater than the chances of it going well

You don't change anything, least of all because a few fan bases want to cry in their beers over not taking care of their own business,  Winning their Division.

For years the NFCE was a blood bath much like the AFCN. Where those teams continually beat up on each other as Rivals to where records were really thrown out the window. Thus effecting their overall records in the long run when compared to other Divisions.

The NFCE hasn't been like the AFCE where the Patriots are basically guaranteed 6 Wins every year (5 if they choke in Miami annually) playing inside the Division. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You don't change anything, least of all because a few fan bases want to cry in their beers over not taking care of their own business,  Winning their Division.

For years the NFCE was a blood bath much like the AFCN. Where those teams continually beat up on each other as Rivals to where records were really thrown out the window. Thus effecting teams overall records in the long run.

The NFCE hasn't been like the AFCE where the Patriots are basically guaranteed 6 Wins every year (5 if they choke in Miami annually) playing inside the Division. 

I agree and let's be honest when Dallas and Philadelphia at least are playing better it makes the division exciting because you know that's going to be a competitive division. I kind of compare it to the AFC North because that division no matter how badd some of those themes are except for of course The Bangles of this year usually all for those teams are beating the snot out of each other trying to win games. The NFC West is a good example this year of 3 teams trying to get into the playoffs

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Exactly.  What's even funnier is the fact the last 2 teams to have that type of record Seahawks, Panthers (7-8-1) both  Won their playoff games. 

Those teams need the home field advantage against the 7-9 team. :)

If the 49ers finish 13-3 or something, and have to go on the road to play the NFC East winner who backs into the division at 8-8, and the 49ers lose, I'm not going to blame the NFL seeding as to why they lost or that it wasn't "fair". And I imagine the players/coaches wouldn't either. They have/had every chance to win the NFC West. 

Division rivalries with something actually at stake on the line for winning the division, and a punishment for not winning it is something that makes money for the league. More fans are going to tune into games, especially during week 17, that they normally wouldn't if things were switched up where you just seed for HFA by record once the playoffs start, and not division crowns taken into account. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

NBA guarantees division winner a top 4 seed, but if that particular team has a worse record than say the 5th seed, then the 5th seed has HCA. I think the same should happen in the NFL. We have seen recently SF having to go to GB when they were 12-4 and GB was 7-8-1 and of course have seen Indy at SD, as well as NO at SEA. And we will see it again this year. I'm sure there are plenty others that I'm missing.

33 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Maybe if they had home field they would have. That argument goes both ways

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

NBA guarantees division winner a top 4 seed, but if that particular team has a worse record than say the 5th seed, then the 5th seed has HCA. I think the same should happen in the NFL. We have seen recently SF having to go to GB when they were 12-4 and GB was 7-8-1 and of course have seen Indy at SD, as well as NO at SEA. And we will see it again this year. I'm sure there are plenty others that I'm missing.

And no one cares about winning divisions in the NBA. 

Edited by PapaShogun

43 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Maybe both of these teams wouldve lost if they were on the road lol

And Arizona had a 3rd string qb starting anyway

20 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Those teams need the home field advantage against the 7-9 team. :)

If the 49ers finish 13-3 or something, and have to go on the road to play the NFC East winner who backs into the division at 8-8, and the 49ers lose, I'm not going to blame the NFL seeding as to why they lost or that it wasn't "fair". And I imagine the players/coaches wouldn't either. They have/had every chance to win the NFC West. 

Division rivalries with something actually at stake on the line for winning the division, and a punishment for not winning it is something that makes money for the league. More fans are going to tune into games, especially during week 17, that they normally wouldn't if things were switched up where you just seed for HFA by record once the playoffs start, and not division crowns taken into account. 

Punishment for not winning a division is a wild card round while the leader gets the bye....isnt it enough?????