Should the Playoff format change (used to be the Dallas- Bears TNF thread)

Malfatron

who loses  

60 members have voted

1. 1. who wins

Just now, bucsfan333 said:

You want HFA? Win your division.

Yes, I know that's what you think, you've made that clear. Also, I do know the current rules of the league, thanks.

My point is, there's no good underlying reason (other than owners wanting the money). From the perspective of giving the fans the best product, reseeding makes more sense.

5 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Yes, I know that's what you think, you've made that clear. Also, I do know the current rules of the league, thanks.

My point is, there's no good underlying reason (other than owners wanting the money). From the perspective of giving the fans the best product, reseeding makes more sense.

We all watch all the games. It doesn't matter. Every year NFL viewing seems to go up. We want football.

Be better at football than three other teams. That's all you have to do.

You don't think folks watched the 7-9 Seahawks play at home against the Saints a few years ago?

6 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We all watch all the games. It doesn't matter. Every year NFL viewing seems to go up. We want football.

You don't think folks watched the 7-9 Seahawks play at home against the Saints a few years ago?

If you can't go on the road and beat a 7-9 team that was 3-7 outside their division then you deserve to be eliminated.

The Seahawks lost by 16, 18 and 34 points at home that year.

The Saints faced 8 teams with 10 or more losses that year. (6 of their 11 wins)

2 of the other 5 wins were against NFC West teams (the division that made so many people cry)

They deserve no pity.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

You want HFA? Win your division.

The problem with using that as your sole logic is that that's a very different standard depending on the division. Winning your division isn't some equal metric across the board. For some teams it's, win 13 games. For some, it's win 8.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I literally don't understand how your argument does ANYTHING to support keeping HFA with division winners. Is that still what you're saying? With reseeding, division winners that are cruising would still have to fight to maintain HFA from a team with a similar record that may be in 2nd place of another division. That's a good thing.

I'm not saying fans aren't watching, but ensuring that the postseason tournament does the best it can at getting the best teams through, reseeding makes more sense.

Records don't even take into account a team's schedule and it's strength. So even reseeding it that way wouldn't be a quality move. Also, it would render winning divisions not even a big deal, because there would be potentially no discipline for not winning the division as you could still get a home playoff game. Division rivalries also wouldn't be as epic. 

As a 49ers fan seeing them potentially have to go to play the NFC winner as a 5th seed, I don't mind it. It's very rare that you have a year where a division is so pathetic that 8-8 can crown the king. 49ers fans shouldn't be worrying about consolation prizes if they can't leapfrog Seattle for the NFC West title. Win the division. End of the story. 

No NBA bull**** where no even cares about divisions anymore. Keep the NFL as it is. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

The problem with using that as your sole logic is that that's a very different standard depending on the division. Winning your division isn't some equal metric across the board. For some teams it's, win 13 games. For some, it's win 8.

So? You still have an opportunity to win your division. Some years it will be harder, some years it won't. 

2 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

So? You still have an opportunity to win your division. Some years it will be harder, some years it won't. 

That isn't an argument for the current system being better, though. "So what?" is not a justification for not trying to make the seeding better. It's not like the current system is horrendous or something, it's just that it could be fairer. Keep playoff berths as is and just reseed. Divisions still matter, but you don't have blatantly worse teams being seeded higher because three other teams happened to suck worse.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Im not sure why this is surprising to anyone. Garrett will get the rest of the season and be let go. There is no benefit to firing him right now. Literally win or lose, neither benefits us. And it potentially could cost us a coordinator that the next HC would want to retain. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

That isn't an argument for the current system being better, though. "So what?" is not a justification for not trying to make the seeding better. It's not like the current system is horrendous or something, it's just that it could be fairer. Keep playoff berths as is and just reseed. Divisions still matter, but you don't have blatantly worse teams being seeded higher because three other teams happened to suck worse.

There really isn't any justification for needing to make the seeding better though. And what I mentioned was the reality. You have an opportunity to win your division. Instead of worrying about what you get if you don't win your division, worry about just winning it. Pretty simple. These years where a team like the 7-9 Seahawks win a pathetic NFC West or the 8-8 Broncos win a pathetic AFC West are so rare that a blip on the radar isn't even worth getting up in arms over. Divisions won't matter as much, because oh I didn't win the division? Big deal, I still get a home playoff game, and nothing changed. Records don't take into account a team's schedule strength anyway, if we want to get into fairness. 

Can't believe this is even a complaint. And I can't imagine actual NFL players bringing up seeding as a reason as to why they should be rewarded for failing to win their own division. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

There really isn't any justification for needing to make the seeding better though. And what I mentioned was the reality. You have an opportunity to win your division. Instead of worrying about what you get if you don't win your division, worry about just winning it. Pretty simple. These years where a team like the 7-9 Seahawks win a pathetic NFC West or the 8-8 Broncos win a pathetic AFC West are so rare that a blip on the radar isn't even worth getting up in arms over. Divisions won't matter as much, because oh I didn't win the division? Big deal, I still get a home playoff game, and nothing changed. Records don't take into account a team's schedule strength anyway, if we want to get into fairness. 

Can't believe this is even a complaint. And I can't imagine actual NFL players bringing up seeding as a reason as to why they should be rewarded for failing to win their own division. 

Improvement is it's own justification. You shouldn't need a reason to make something better. If you can, you should.

It's also not being rewarded for not winning the division. It's being rewarded for winning more games. This argument that winning a division is on higher merit than winning more games is baffling, to me.

As far as the argument that it doesn't happen often, 8 times in the last decade, a team has won a division with a record of 9-7 or worse, and gotten a higher seed than a wildcard team with a higher record. 8 times in 10 years is not "so rare" that it's a "blip on the radar." That means it's actually the norm. And this doesn't even count teams like, say, the 2018 Chargers, who had the second record in the conference, lost their division on a tiebreaker, and wound up as the 5 seed.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Im not sure why this is surprising to anyone. Garrett will get the rest of the season and be let go. There is no benefit to firing him right now. Literally win or lose, neither benefits us. And it potentially could cost us a coordinator that the next HC would want to retain. 

I don't see how that last part is true at all 

26 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Its the electoral college, essentially

tHe WiNneR oF ThE PoPuLaR VoTE UsUaLly WiNs AnYwAyS

Until they don't. 

The NFL will never change it because it adds drama to the final few weeks of the season. If the niners and hawks could both secure byes then the week 17 game is less important than it is now

My team has made the playoffs 3 times since 2003, with this year potentially being the 4th time. If we are the 5 seed this year with 12 wins that will be the second time it's happened to us. That sucks. 

I'm a season ticket holder and if my team wins 12 games I want to go to a goddamn home playoff game 

• Like 1