Selection Sunday Thread

naptownskinsfan

11 hours ago, buno67 said:

Does Kirby smart get thumped by LSU a 2nd time if they face again? No one brings up the fact that tOSU whooped Wisky in the regular season and had to face them a 2nd time. It’s extremely hard to beat the same opponent twice in a year. Wisky made great adjustsments from game1 to game 2 that allowed them to play a great first half but once tOSU figured it out they took off and never looked back

Maybe not thumped, but a double digit loss is surely in the cards. 

11 hours ago, buno67 said:

Weakest of the 4 teams but currently have the 2nd best HC behind Dabo out of the 4. They got an experience QB and a high power offense. This game might look more like a big12 game than an SEC game

I can't find the tweet anymore, but someone posted Vegas odds if this was an 8 team playoff, and Georgia's had the odds on the road against Oklahoma.  

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I can't find the tweet anymore, but someone posted Vegas odds if this was an 8 team playoff, and Georgia's had the odds on the road against Oklahoma.  

I would still take Oklahoma in that game tho. I don’t trust Georgia’s offense one bit to be able to out score Oklahoma 

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

I would still take Oklahoma in that game tho. I don’t trust Georgia’s offense one bit to be able to out score Oklahoma 

Honestly, I'm not sure I would take Georgia over any team in the top 15ish that has a good offense.  I don't even care if the teams defense is bad, Georgia still won't score so all the other team has to do is put some points on Georgia's very very good defense.

33 minutes ago, PAW said:

Which starting position (group) do you give Ohio State the advantage? QB, RB, WR, and/or OL. 

IMO the only large gap is QB play. I'd say Clemson has the edge in every group but almost all are comparable. Lawrence is miles ahead of Fields though and it's really not even close. Aside from that, the difference isn't much. When you speak of this, you obviously need to account for the defense. OSU's DL is far better than Clemson's and it's not close. OSU's LBs suck but the backfield is excellent so it'll be interesting to see. IMO, it's a very even matchup whether you want to admit it or not

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JTagg7754 said:

IMO the only large gap is QB play. I'd say Clemson has the edge in every group but almost all are comparable. Lawrence is miles ahead of Fields though and it's really not even close. Aside from that, the difference isn't much. When you speak of this, you obviously need to account for the defense. OSU's DL is far better than Clemson's and it's not close. OSU's LBs suck but the backfield is excellent so it'll be interesting to see. IMO, it's a very even matchup whether you want to admit it or not

I don’t disagree with any of this. And that’s what I said in regards to the two offenses. I said Clemson is better at those positions with QB being a significant advantage and it is the most important position on the field. If teams are relatively equal but one has a much better QB I’m taking that team every time. 

Your DL is definitely better. Clemson slight advantage in back 7. Like Ohio State, we have shut down corners but alse have Simmons. 

I think Fields will be confused by Venables’ defense. I haven’t been that impressed with him regardless of the stats. The games I saw most of his throws were first reads and wide open receivers. 

If Ohio State wins, will be due to the DL not being able to stop Dobbins and/or Clemson losing the turnover battle. I don’t see Fields being able to win the game. 

5 hours ago, PAW said:

Which starting position (group) do you give Ohio State the advantage? QB, RB, WR, and/or OL. 

Wyatt Davis was an All-American and all 5 OL were All-Conference. Clemson has a great OL also but they don’t win every individual matchup. The sack numbers are basically the product of having a mobile QB who tries to do something on every play and doesn’t get the ball out/throw it away. They’re maulers. The YPC by the backs were also up around 7.5 prior to Wisconsin, PSU, UM, and Wisconsin. You aren’t going to maintain that against great run defenses, which OSU has seen. The RBs are certainly comparable. The gap is at WR and if Lawrence has time to throw.

I’ll point out though, the game is about offense and defense. No need to compare one offense to the next, because the matchups are an offense vs a defense. If Clemson’s OL dominates, OSU will have a tough time, because you can’t let Etienne run wild or give Lawrence time with those receivers. Likewise, if Dobbins runs for 150-200 as he has in about every other game against good defenses, that gives OSU a real advantage against that Clemson DL. We will see what happens. Two talented teams that both have advantages.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Wyatt Davis was an All-American and all 5 OL were All-Conference. Clemson has a great OL also but they don’t win every individual matchup. The sack numbers are basically the product of having a mobile QB who tries to do something on every play and doesn’t get the ball out/throw it away. They’re maulers. The YPC by the backs were also up around 7.5 prior to Wisconsin, PSU, UM, and Wisconsin. You aren’t going to maintain that against great run defenses, which OSU has seen. The RBs are certainly comparable. The gap is at WR and if Lawrence has time to throw.

I’ll point out though, the game is about offense and defense. No need to compare one offense to the next, because the matchups are an offense vs a defense. If Clemson’s OL dominates, OSU will have a tough time, because you can’t let Etienne run wild or give Lawrence time with those receivers. Likewise, if Dobbins runs for 150-200 as he has in about every other game against good defenses, that gives OSU a real advantage against that Clemson DL. We will see what happens. Two talented teams that both have advantages.

Also we truly have no idea how good Clemson is, they beat up on a bunch of below avg to bad teams. We can talk up how great this Clemson offense is but they played a lot of piss poor defenses. Heck, Ohio State faced 4 top25 scoring defenses. Those defenses prolly be higher if they didnt get abused by Ohio State. Heck, Clemson's best defensive opponent was 37th and that was A&M. Cincy, FAU Mich ST, Wisconsin 2x, Michigan, Penn St were all better than A&M. So tOSU faced 7 defenses throughout the season that were tougher than the best defense Clemson had to face. Its similar to the defenses. Clemson defense toughest opponent was Wake Forest, Ohio State faced 5 offenses that were better than that. Indiana was also very similar compared to wake forest. Wake Forest .18 of a point better than IU.

To me the game still comes down to Clemson's defensive line. To me that is the key to the game. They lack experience and hasnt faced a group like tOSU OL that can just maul. To me that match up will set the tone of the game.