2017-18 Offseason Talk

Glen

22 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Joe Ingles, at 29 with less potential than Allen Crabbe, got a $13M a year contract from the Jazz

Joe Ingles is better than Allen Crabbe IMO 

Allen Crabbe is, what, 25? Not like he's oozing w potential 

28 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I'm sorry but there is absolutely a zero percent chance that Allen Crabbe would command $8M a year "in this current climate"

He shot 44% from 3 last year behind only Pau Gasol...

The Nets traded their worst contract, Andrew Nicholson, who made $6M a year the other way which nets Crabbe, a starter, at $12M a year 

i wrote up a real elaborate post and then the site went offline when i hit submit. but yeah 8m was low, i don't know why i said that tbh. im still mad and dont wanna rewrite everything i just wrote, but it's just like do you wanna pay a high end role player even ~12m a year? I dunno man. That's not to take away from Crabbe, he caaaaaan start, but is he a dude you're slotting in that 2 spot and just being like yeah we're good here for the next ~5 years? ya know? cause cap room is a more valuable commodity now than it's been in a minute... Also I watched probably like 10 PRX games last year and didn't commit an ounce of viewing time to like actually "watching" Crabbe play, so my "valuation" of him is to be scoffed at if you've actually watched and considered everything he's bringing to the table that's not obvious to a glancing eye. I'm just bull****ting on the internet. 

Just now, Bianconero said:

Definitely interesting to debate

Crabbe is fine. It will be interesting to see if he will keep a % that high with more volume. He's like a totally solid shooter off the bench, but idk what else he brings. And I'm okay with the strategy of getting better players by being the salary dump spot......I just am not crazy about doing it without getting a pick. Like Carroll sucks and has a bad deal, but you got a pick out of it. Crabbe is better. But you're still paying a really bad contract so I'm just like.....damn you used up that leverage you had for other potential deals. 

6 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

i wrote up a real elaborate post and then the site went offline when i hit submit. but yeah 8m was low, i don't know why i said that tbh. im still mad and dont wanna rewrite everything i just wrote, but it's just like do you wanna pay a high end role player even ~12m a year? I dunno man. That's not to take away from Crabbe, he caaaaaan start, but is he a dude you're slotting in that 2 spot and just being like yeah we're good here for the next ~5 years? ya know? cause cap room is a more valuable commodity now than it's been in a minute... Also I watched probably like 10 PRX games last year and didn't commit an ounce of viewing time to like actually "watching" Crabbe play, so my "valuation" of him is to be scoffed at if you've actually watched and considered everything he's bringing to the table that's not obvious to a glancing eye. I'm just bull****ting on the internet. 

Lol, that has to be the worst feeling

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're misjudging the contracts that are out there in the NBA right now

If Crabbe currently overpaid? Yeah by a couple of mil at least, but $12M for a high end role player would theoretically be a steal

Crabbe had a very limited role in the Portland offense. Of 108 players to play as many minutes as him, Crabbe finished 107th in passes per game. On top of that, he only took 8.2 shots per game, which isn't a large amount, so it would seem as though there were many times that he was not involved in the play at all, understandably with McCollum & Lillard. This proves that Crabbe was extremely limited in responsibility, but obviously was elite within his role (44% from 3)

He shot 39% when defenders played him tight (2-4 feet), good for 4th in the NBA 

He shot 43.7% when he was open (4-6 feet), good for 7th in the NBA with at least the same number of attempts

He shot 49.1% when he was wide open (6+ feet), good for again 7th in the NBA with at least the same number of attempts

He will be given the opportunity as the starting 3 to add to his game in a system that is perfect for his style (The Nets were 5th in the NBA in catch and shoot 3PA, but 24th in C&S %).

Like @champ11 said, it will be interesting to see how his efficiency looks with a larger role, but it's something that Sean Marks seems confident in betting on.

57 minutes ago, Raves said:

I wouldn't do it, but considering the Nets have put themselves in a poor position from back when they made all those moves for Deron Williams and then the guys from Boston they got, they've been bleeding assets and needed to start somewhere.  It's not the best position, but at least they seem to have a direction they are looking to follow, that's better than what they were doing.

After the Nets give up their 1st round pick to the Celtics in next year's draft, their obligations as far as 1st round picks goes is extinguished.  And that probably hampers the Nets' ability to improve their franchise.  When you take away three straight top-5 picks (assuming their pick next year is top 5), you're not going to be going much of anywhere.  I do like the gamble on D'Angelo Russell by the Nets, even if it meant taking on Mozgov's albatross of a contract.  But the Crabbe/Nicholson trade without getting any sort of compensation doesn't make sense to me.  By stretching Andrew Nicholson, the Blazers saved nearly $18.5M in luxury tax.  I'm pretty sure that deal alone takes the Blazers out of the luxury tax, which was the goal they wanted to achieve.  And the Nets did that for free.  I mean, I understand that the Nets like Crabbe but not getting any assets out of the Blazers was a poor move IMO.  Even if it was nothing more than a future 2nd or two.

18 hours ago, Bianconero said:

Something that I'm not sure is being focused on is that Sean Marks loves Allen Crabbe as a basketball player

Which is fine, Crabbe has the ability to be one of the best "role players" in the NBA. The issue is, the Nets definitely should've gotten an asset with Crabbe to take on that contract. They let Portland off the hook big time.

Archived