Packers Release LaDarius Gunter, RJF

packfanfb

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Hate to see RJF go. If we have an open roster spot, we should make a play for Ed Stinson now that Arizona has released him. Perhaps they were a team trying to go after Pankey or another PS OL after their atrocious showing at Detroit Sunday.

That's really the only reasoning I can think that the Packers elected to sign another OL.  Someone was ready to poach him.  I don't remember who tweeted it, but I remember seeing that the Packers were high on Pankey.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Hey Norm...McCray....

I didn't get to watch a lot of him during pre-season.  But....Larry McCarron did.  He knows a thing or two about offensive linemen.  And he really, really liked McCrary.  Something about pancake blocks in the first pre-season game.  He highlighted McCrary on his tv show.  At least I was told about it....from my father who follows all things Packer related and lives just a little north of GB.

I think the club likes the potential in McCrary.  Probably like they liked the potential in Taylor.

Just something to think about....

I'm no scout but I thought Mccrary looked decent in the PS. With that said seeing the Barclay is hurt Mccrary is the only other true center behind Linsley and it would be prudent to have a back up that can snap the ball on the bench.With that said i think that's why we we kept an extra OL on the roster as well was to provide us some flexibility should a guy off the bench not be playing well.

With DL being a strength and the pick up of Dial it just made RJF expendable really. I don't believe RJF showed me anything in PS that said we need him. Dial is bigger and younger and cheaper.

Guenter may have been nice to keep though in consideration to how often our CB's get hurt but with our safety group being very good in coverage that made him expendable. He worked his arse off last year but just has no speed. Still a nice piece to have in a pinch. If no one grabs him and if he's PS eligible i could see him back but could totally understand GB going in a speed direction.

Read a comment today that MM said those guys might be back in GB at some point. The newly added OT is a short- term issue until Barclay, Bulaga and Spriggs heal up. Once they are back in action, I can see bringing either of those defenders back for depth.

GB doesn't throw cash around willy-nilly, yet they kept RJF on the week 1 roster which guarantee's his full year salary. It's possible they did that in order to keep him waiting in the wings instead of joining another team. RJF is a pretty astute businessman

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Read a comment today that MM said those guys might be back in GB at some point. The newly added OT is a short- term issue until Barclay, Bulaga and Spriggs heal up. Once they are back in action, I can see bringing either of those defenders back for depth.

GB doesn't throw cash around willy-nilly, yet they kept RJF on the week 1 roster which guarantee's his full year salary. It's possible they did that in order to keep him waiting in the wings instead of joining another team. RJF is a pretty astute businessman

They may have made a handshake agreement with RJF that he would be brought back in the next week or two.  It's kind of like a paid vacation for RJF if you think about it. 

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'd still imagine that someone is going to take a flier on LaDarius Gunter and RJF.  I'm not sure what the contract goes as far as off-setting salaries, but I don't think the Packers are on the hook for all of RFJ's contract if he signs elsewhere.

58 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm curious if this aligns with RJFs comments about how the organization does right by it's players. Could be something to this.

16 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

He might fit well with the right guys. I just hate the ho hum to a release them screaming if they do anything. Remember that UDFA corner we cut then he had like a double INT game lol. He never did a thing after but I heard about that for a while. 

Rolle.  His name was Rolle and he just got cut by his fourth different team last week.  I remember folks wanted TTs head over that one.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm curious if this aligns with RJFs comments about how the organization does right by it's players. Could be something to this.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.  Last year, RJF played in just under 40% of the defensive snaps with the Redskins.  Obviously the concerns regarding a small sample size are present, but RJF only played in 12% of the defensive snaps.  With Adams getting healthier and healthier, and the signing of Quinton Dial there probably isn't the snaps there for him.  And rather than keeping him on the roster for no real reason, they released him and let him sign elsewhere when he will likely get more snaps.

24 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Rolle.  His name was Rolle and he just got cut by his fourth different team last week.  I remember folks wanted TTs head over that one.

Jumari Rolle ( spelled wrong ) he was a nice player some were upset we cut him he would have been a nice guy to have last year. He was much faster than Guenter, mind you so am I and I'm old and fat.

28 minutes ago, packerjmf said:

Anyone think dropping RJF for Pankey may mean Bulaga is still a couple more weeks away from playing?

It's possible, but from what I'm seeing right now it's probably due to the combination of Bulaga, Spriggs, and Bakhtiari all being injured right now.  Spriggs and Bak just got hamstring injuries.  That can really put the OLine in a bind if they miss next game, especially if anyone else gets injured.  This was virtually guaranteed to be a desperation move due to injuries on the OLine.

Here's hoping RJF waits a week or 2 while the Packers get their OLine injuries healed up.

Archived