Week 16: Packers (11-3) at VIKINGS (10-4)

swede700

2 minutes ago, whitehops said:

it's amazing how we went away from everything we've been good at offensively. i missed part of the game early on but to my recollection we ran play action ONCE in the first half, we ran no screens until late, we ran barely any wide zone, etc. 

we executed the "bend but don't break" defense almost perfectly and while the packers were able to get some easy quick pass completions to keep drives alive, rodgers finished with 5.4 YPA and a 68.3 passer rating. their run game was consistent but not explosive, as they averaged ~5 YPC before jones' big TD run in garbage time. 

honestly, it was an awful game and since next week means nothing for seeding they should just sit everyone they can. barr, kendricks, thielen, whoever else is nicked up, etc. rest up as much as they can and come in prepared to play the packers, niners or saints.

I wouldn't consider Jones' run in garbage time. 

It was a 7pt game.

This game really just showed how good Dalvin Cook is.

Boone was straight trash. 

• Like 2

Zimmer’s time is up. It doesn’t matter that he’s winning against bad team when he can’t get this team prepared to win against the good teams. 

Honestly, I can’t think of a single game where the team beat a top tier team, and that didn’t need a miracle to happen. 

And this was by far Stefanski’s/Kubiak’s worst game. So much for “next man up”. Those two tried to call an entirely new offense, and didn’t do ANYTHING that has made them a top 10 offense this season. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

He needs to  go. 

The team has regressed.

As long as Aaron Rodgers is in the division, the Vikings will always be 2nd best.

Packers defense won the game tonight.  Rodgers did his best to give it to us.  

Do agree on the regression.  But no way Spielman or Zygi will get rid of Zimmer any time soon.

19 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

If the Vikings crap the bed in the playoffs like this I'd expect Zimmer to be gone. 6 years is long enough to build a winner capable of winning the Super Bowl.

60+ years of not capable of building the super bowl not long enough and it’s Zimmers fault Kirk can’t put the ball the the end zone after 3 Turnovers?

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

60+ years of not capable of building the super bowl not long enough and it’s Zimmers fault Kirk can’t put the ball the the end zone after 3 Turnovers?

But this has been going on for Zimmer’s entire tenure. Not just since signing Cousins. 

Despite winning 60% of the time, I can’t say that Zimmer has created, or instilled, a winning culture. This team doesn’t carry itself with the mindset of a winner, and that falls on the head coach.

Zimmer is another Marvin Lewis.

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Get outta here. Light trolling is still trolling. No way you watch that game and this is the take you come away with.

6 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Come on...

many people don’t think the Packers are a very good football team, but which team took the field tonight ACTING like they were an 11 win team?  If the Vikings showed up with that kind of swagger, they wouldn’t have been beat before the coin toss.  Some Packer fan asked us what we feared most about them, and I was going to reply “that they think they’re an 11 win team.”  Mental prep is the head coach’s job.

And what’s going on at halftime?  Is Zimmer running an encounter group therapy to help everyone get in touch with their fear of flying feminine mystique?

yeah, I think a lot of it is on Zimmer.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But this has been going on for Zimmer’s entire tenure. Not just since signing Cousins. 

Despite winning 60% of the time, I can’t say that Zimmer has created, or instilled, a winning culture. This team doesn’t carry itself with the mindset of a winner, and that falls on the head coach.

Zimmer is another Marvin Lewis.

Agree

1 hour ago, whitehops said:

to be honest as soon as we had our 3-and-out to start the second half (when we were winning 10-9), it felt like garbage time.

I had a terrible feeling in my gut after The Viking recovered the first fumble, got the ball first and goal to start the game on a great note, and then failed to get the ball into the end zone.  Then after seeing Cousins look nervous on routine plays, and overthrew Ham by double his height, when he was all alone with a guaranteed 1st Down, and then after the 2nd fumble recovery, when they got the ball at midfield and failed to get even a 1st Down, I KNEW it would take a miracle for them to win. 

But, the WORST part of what I saw tonight was learning that Cousin IS WHAT(WHO) WE THOUGHT HE IS,  and he has NOT shaken off the lack of confidence, and has only seemed to have been playing better because he can hit receivers on deep patterns IF the play-callers design plays to get him away from the rush, BUT that works mainly by using play action.  He's NOT the significantly better QB of the previous 7 games that his stats made him seem.   With no running game, defences won't respect play action, and he'll be continuously sacked, or never complete a pass over 6 yards, because he'll have to throw within 1 or 1.5 seconds.  We saw how he completed the deep touchdown pass that was called back because of holding.  That holding got him 2-3 extra seconds.  The problem is that Cousins is only moblie enough to do his planned curl left or right to avoid the rush (which is now well known by opponents).  But, when they don't respect the run, they beat The Vikings' OL and can often get into The Vikings' backfield on both sides, so Cousins can't move enough to avoid them, and has to throw much too early, and can't even look downfield, so, at best, he can only hit his back for a few yards. 

Do we really want to pay many millions of dollars for an extension of such a flawed QB, taking SO many Dollars away from being able to address big and growing needs on The OL, and the defence, and to replace aging players that are no longer playing their position adequately?

I understand the frustration, as this was a big game. But we all need to chill out. We are in the playoffs, and have a good chance of finishing the season 11-5, which is very solid. 

I am not counting us out in the playoffs. With Dalvin Cook in, it's a completely different game. He is a game changer. Time to regroup, rest some of our starters if need be next week and focus on the Wild Card game. Anyone who isn't on board can gladly find another team. Yes, this game sucked, and it was frustrating, but no sense in dwelling on it. That takes away the fun. Have a little faith.

• Like 1