Mariota vs. Winston

Illadelegend215

22 minutes ago, TheMonarch1110 said:

Winston has never thrown less than 10 ints in a season.
Mariota has never thrown more than 10 ints in a season.

Give me the QB that doesn't turn the ball over as often, especially in the red zone.

Both are pretty darn good though.

I would also take Mariota. The problem isn't necessarily the amount of interceptions thrown but the amount of stupid interceptions that Winston throws. I just think come playoffs you can't rely on him. If he stops making the stupid mistakes then my opinion will probably change as I think Winston is more talented. 

As a life long Bucs fan and diehard, I wass mariota guy back in 2015 

that being said, I've been satisfied what I've seen from Winston. I'm always a guy who likes big plays and limits turnovers. Mariota offers both while Winston is a high reward yet high risk player. 

Mariota has a two headed monster at running back and a better offensive line. Winston could use a more balanced offense as he does well off play action. 

That being said, mariota I believe is the better player right now. He plays smarter. 

Winston needs to channel whatever Matt Stafford did before he ends up like jay cutler. Learn how to utilize the check down and make the throws when they're there. Winston has shown more wow throws than mariota but multiple INT games like last weeks and games last year for example, will get you to a .500 record and no better in this league. 

31 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

As a life long Bucs fan and diehard, I wass mariota guy back in 2015 

that being said, I've been satisfied what I've seen from Winston. I'm always a guy who likes big plays and limits turnovers. Mariota offers both while Winston is a high reward yet high risk player. 

Mariota has a two headed monster at running back and a better offensive line. Winston could use a more balanced offense as he does well off play action. 

That being said, mariota I believe is the better player right now. He plays smarter. 

Winston needs to channel whatever Matt Stafford did before he ends up like jay cutler. Learn how to utilize the check down and make the throws when they're there. Winston has shown more wow throws than mariota but multiple INT games like last weeks and games last year for example, will get you to a .500 record and no better in this league. 

Stafford IMO leaned on Calvin Johnson way too much.  He used to stare him down like crazy.

I think losing Calvin and gain a more balanced corps of WR talent forced him to go through progressions and not force passes as much.

Winston IMO just need to become a better decision maker in general.    Not sure how good his QB coach is, but that might be something to look at,

On 9/29/2017 at 12:12 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

Stafford IMO leaned on Calvin Johnson way too much.  He used to stare him down like crazy.

I think losing Calvin and gain a more balanced corps of WR talent forced him to go through progressions and not force passes as much.

Winston IMO just need to become a better decision maker in general.    Not sure how good his QB coach is, but that might be something to look at,

Agree with the last statement. Sometimes he just doesn't know when to let a play go and take a sack or throw it away or at someone's feet. 

See the Vikings game and jags in preseason in the red zone where he's taking a hit and just blindly tosses the rock up to see if he can make a play. 

He has improved with going through progressions and looking off defenders but sometimes he has those lapses where he stares guys down and his mechanics will break down. 

Decision making and deep ball accuracy needs to be his biggest improvements but I also think tampa needs a running game. He will benefit off of that. That has really irritated me that they neglected the position this offseason. 

winston is actually having a damn good year this year.. people forget he is behind 1 game because of IRMA, and is still on pace for 4,700 yards and 35 tds

winston is rated #6 overall by profootballfocus, 64% completion, over 8 yards per completion, 94 passer rating( could be a bit higher), and averaging about 288 passing yards a game... AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE

too me its not even close, and its funny whenever mariota has a decent game... some ****** writer with an axe to grind againist jameis will write some article about why the bucs should have chosen mariota lol. Give it up.. jason light the bucs gm is happy with jameis for the foreseeable future.. winston will set records for passing yardage for years to come

mariota on the other hand is quickly becoming one of the most overrated players in the NFL

11 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

lol...

rb's are made to run, qbs are made to pass

but no qb is better in the nfl outside of the pocket than jameis winston.. other than maybe aaron rodgers

http://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/14959/numbers-show-jameis-winston-better-outside-pocket-with-play-action

also no qb in the past decade is better under pressure than jameis winston

https://www.bucsnation.com/2017/9/8/16278814/jameis-winston-had-the-best-under-pressure-season-in-a-decade-in-2016

winstons problems are simple.. anything over 35-40 yards in the air is hit or miss, and being slighty  average from a clean pocket.. Winston can diagnose any defense.. he just thinks he can fit any throw into a window. He trust his arm too much

6 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

rb's are made to run, qbs are made to pass

but no qb is better in the nfl outside of the pocket than jameis winston.. other than maybe aaron rodgers

http://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/14959/numbers-show-jameis-winston-better-outside-pocket-with-play-action

also no qb in the past decade is better under pressure than jameis winston

https://www.bucsnation.com/2017/9/8/16278814/jameis-winston-had-the-best-under-pressure-season-in-a-decade-in-2016

winstons problems are simple.. anything over 35-40 yards in the air is hit or miss, and being slighty  average from a clean pocket.. Winston can diagnose any defense.. he just thinks he can fit any throw into a window. He trust his arm too much

Pretty much. He tries to play hero ball a little too often and has absolute faith that he can squeeze a ball through a window when he should know better.

He's got much better at taking what he's being given though, but he's not there yet. 

On a side note, the Giants game is indicative of what he can do in a balanced offence. We got away from the run in Minnesota and Winston started trying to force it. Bad things happened as a result with miscommunications and poor decisions.

Against the Giants, we were able to establish the run, which opened up play action and kept the Giants off balance. While I thought Winston wasn't quite himself on Sunday with a number of inaccurate throws that he usually makes, he was excellent when it mattered. 

Winston still makes a few bad decisions per game, but he's getting much better at knowing when the defence has him beat and making the decision to throw the ball away.

On 9/28/2017 at 8:27 AM, TheMonarch1110 said:

Winston has never thrown less than 10 ints in a season.
Mariota has never thrown more than 10 ints in a season.

Give me the QB that doesn't turn the ball over as often, especially in the red zone.

Both are pretty darn good though.

So 10 INTs is the magic number?  In the last 15 years:

Brady won three superbowls throwing 12-14 picks.

Eli won a superbowl throwing 20 picks and another one throwing 16 picks.

Peyton went to a superbowl throwing 16 picks, and won a superbowl throwing 17 picks.

Brees won a superbowl throwing 11 picks.

Rodgers won a superbowl throwing 11 picks.

Flacco won a superbowl throwing 10 picks.

Archived