Jaguars fire Tom Coughlin

.Buzz

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

He will be whether it's Caldwell or a new GM.

I dunno if the Jags keep Yannick, not saying he isnt worth the money but you are paying Calias 17 mil next year and have a young stud in Allen. Paying yannick is going to cost them 20 mil a year and likely 60 mil in guarantees. You can free up space cutting Dareus as your against the cap in 2020 with only 2 mil. You cant straight out cut Foles as it would cost 11 mil more then what his cap hit is. You can trade him to clear 3 of his 22 mil but who is going to want to take on that contract? I think Yannick is more of a luxury for the Jags then anything because they have 2 solid guys that would be cheaper in Calias and Allen. Best case scenario is they tag him and then trade him to get at least a 1st or 2nd rd pick out of it if not more, even that is risky because clowney didnt land the Texans much. If not tagged I expect Yannick to explore free agency to see what other teams can offer and give him the big pay day he will land whether it is in Jax or somewhere else. He seems like a hard working guy who doesnt seek the attention so he could gel with a ton of teams.

As a bills fan I hope he hits free agency to see if they can bring him in as he would fit in well on McDermott's defense.

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Lol no. Dude is a rambling pontificator who was a failed scout. I don't know why people always bring his name up, he would be horrible 

Says the guy who has John Lynch as GM of his favorite team.  A guy with no previous front office experience before taking on the job.

Why would he be horrible?

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

I’d caution against believing that this fixes the situation with Yan. His lack of a contract wasn’t just “Coughlin won’t pay,” as I’ve heard that Yan is one of the guys who wanted off the team because of Coughlin. I’m concerned that Coughlin may have burned the bridge for the team as a whole, and not just himself. In addition to that, Yan has also expressed that he thinks that Todd Wash and the defensive coaching staff is not putting him in a position to be as successful as he believes he can be. Without some pretty significant changes there, I have a hard time believing he wouldn’t leave for a team he believes will use him correctly. 

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I appreciate the optimism but until it happens I'm not exactly enthusiastic. Caldwell hasn't gotten it done yet

Because of Tom...he didnt want to pay him. You could tell in that presser when Tom said he still has a lot to prove.

Yan has been his biggest hit besides Ramsey. He's not letting him go.

40 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I dunno if the Jags keep Yannick, not saying he isnt worth the money but you are paying Calias 17 mil next year and have a young stud in Allen. Paying yannick is going to cost them 20 mil a year and likely 60 mil in guarantees. You can free up space cutting Dareus as your against the cap in 2020 with only 2 mil. You cant straight out cut Foles as it would cost 11 mil more then what his cap hit is. You can trade him to clear 3 of his 22 mil but who is going to want to take on that contract? I think Yannick is more of a luxury for the Jags then anything because they have 2 solid guys that would be cheaper in Calias and Allen. Best case scenario is they tag him and then trade him to get at least a 1st or 2nd rd pick out of it if not more, even that is risky because clowney didnt land the Texans much. If not tagged I expect Yannick to explore free agency to see what other teams can offer and give him the big pay day he will land whether it is in Jax or somewhere else. He seems like a hard working guy who doesnt seek the attention so he could gel with a ton of teams.

As a bills fan I hope he hits free agency to see if they can bring him in as he would fit in well on McDermott's defense.

Calais is either getting restructured or cut imo.

Yan and Allen are proving to be an elite pass rushing tandem and both are super young. I'd be shocked if he's not a Jaguar next year.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Calais is either getting restructured or cut imo.

Yan and Allen are proving to be an elite pass rushing tandem and both are super young. I'd be shocked if he's not a Jaguar next year.

I usually follow the Jags but havent much this year but from what I have always noticed both allen and yannick were on the right side, has yannick or allen played on the left side? I am sure they will figure something out

8 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I usually follow the Jags but havent much this year but from what I have always noticed both allen and yannick were on the right side, has yannick or allen played on the left side? I am sure they will figure something out

There would be a concern about having those two as your edge setters in the run game. But given that literally every other spot in the front 7 needs to be addressed one way or another, a competent GM and coach should be able to bring in and use other players effectively to mask whatever deficiencies those two may have by playing them at opposite ends.