2020 - TCMD GM Mock Draft Discussion

ny92mike

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

For the love of....

It has NOTHING to do with Dalton. Its the future picks you received, which in a one year mock amount to NOTHING. They have ZERO value. That is the precedent they dont want to set. 

Untrue. Lots of trades in real life involve future year picks. My original price for Dalton was a 2021 pick conditional on the team's performance with him. The Chargers offered a lower pick in 2021 and I preferred a higher pick and waiting a year to receive it. Picks tend to get discounted about a round a year they are delayed IRL. 

If you say trades with future year picks are verboten, you're basically saying that pick #1 can only be traded to Miami (if they are even interested). That's not much of a mock if you invent a rule like that. Bengals value Burrow at more than RG3 got (3 firsts and a 2nd) so most teams trying to trade for him would have to give up picks in 2021 or later. 

You may remember Ted Stepien the former owner of the NBA Cavaliers. He mortgaged his team's future by selling first round picks years ahead of time. When he sold his team, the league let the new owners buy back some first round picks. The NFL doesn't have such a rule and frankly it's absurd to say the Chargers mortgaged their future in trading a 2022 4th or 5th round pick for their starting QB. 

I've checked the rules and they don't say trades of future year picks are forbidden. They simply say that trades can be vetoed by a committee. Who is on the committee? The whole slippery slope argument is out the door with that. I'd like to hear the committee explain how the Dalton trade is unbalancing on it's own terms. Please make an argument that passes the laugh test. This isn't me trading BW Webb (mediocre backup CB) for some team's whole drafts for the next 5 years because they don't value picks that won't be exercised in this mock. I do value future picks (discounted to present value) and don't see any issues with this particular trade. 

6 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Untrue. Lots of trades in real life involve future year picks. My original price for Dalton was a 2021 pick conditional on the team's performance with him. The Chargers offered a lower pick in 2021 and I preferred a higher pick and waiting a year to receive it. Picks tend to get discounted about a round a year they are delayed IRL. 

If you say trades with future year picks are verboten, you're basically saying that pick #1 can only be traded to Miami (if they are even interested). That's not much of a mock if you invent a rule like that. Bengals value Burrow at more than RG3 got (3 firsts and a 2nd) so most teams trying to trade for him would have to give up picks in 2021 or later. 

You may remember Ted Stepien the former owner of the NBA Cavaliers. He mortgaged his team's future by selling first round picks years ahead of time. When he sold his team, the league let the new owners buy back some first round picks. The NFL doesn't have such a rule and frankly it's absurd to say the Chargers mortgaged their future in trading a 2022 4th or 5th round pick for their starting QB. 

I've checked the rules and they don't say trades of future year picks are forbidden. They simply say that trades can be vetoed by a committee. Who is on the committee? The whole slippery slope argument is out the door with that. I'd like to hear the committee explain how the Dalton trade is unbalancing on it's own terms. Please make an argument that passes the laugh test. This isn't me trading BW Webb (mediocre backup CB) for some team's whole drafts for the next 5 years because they don't value picks that won't be exercised in this mock. I do value future picks (discounted to present value) and don't see any issues with this particular trade. 

Dude do you even read the previous posts? No one is talking about real life and you can use 2021 draft picks, but no years later. Are you from Germany? Seems like your autocorrection changed a word to german. If you would like me to explain it to you in german, feel free to pm me

13 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

It’s done. You want to stand on your soap box go ahead. Not sure what this provides you but the rest of us are past this. 

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The committee have been to ones primarily responding to you in this thread. They are saying that people will use this trade as an argument to defend their trades which involve future picks. While I get you would prefer it be considered on a a deal by deal basis. This deal would open the floodgates, I know it isn't your intention, but again they would rather avoid it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Be happy to discuss this with you in about an hour.  Do you not see the loophole that this would create?

1 minute ago, YogiBiz said:

The committee have been to ones primarily responding to you in this thread. They are saying that people will use this trade as an argument to defend their trades which involve future picks. While I get you would prefer it be considered on a a deal by deal basis. This deal would open the floodgates, I know it isn't your intention, but again they would rather avoid it. 

That's my point. The slippery slope fears are imaginary because the rules say each trade can be vetoed. So fears of what might happen are irrelevant. If they are going to veto this particular trade they need to say why it is imbalancing on it's own merits not because of what someone else might do. 

I think we can all agree that this trade isn't unbalancing on it's own merits. Dalton was on the block for a pittance and a day 3 pick 2 years in the future is a pittance. The teams made a deal and suddenly there is a problem? Not buying it. 

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Be happy to discuss this with you in about an hour.  Do you not see the loophole that this would create?

No, not at all. The rules say individual trades can be vetoed. So if you see a trade that you consider ridiculous, veto it. This trade isn't ridiculous for either party.