Week 17: Bears (7-8) at VIKINGS (10-5)

swede700

17 hours ago, Torchezim said:

Who cares really?

Can we go ahead and get our playoff loss over with? Get to the hiring/firing stage. I’m done with this specific Viking team. 

Wait.  No tease.

Oh no, can’t just get it over with.  We have to pull out some kind of improbable win first, where Treadwell goes off for 150 yards and Sherels Lite with a punt return TD.  For good measure, maybe two wins.  So we can get our hopes and dreams resuscitated, growing out of the ash heap, flowering into “could it really happen”?

Then and only then can they deliver the most humiliating soul crushing annihilation of any shred of dignity that may still remain in this Minnesota Nice franchise.  In front of the largest NFL TV audience outside of the Super Bowl.

You just know it’s going to happen that way.

14 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I wouldn’t ever rest starters unless they truly earned it. The Vikes played like crap last week. Do we really want to go into the playoffs being swept by both the Packers and Bears?

We need them to be 100% for the playoffs. It’s not about proving themselves from Monday’s debacle, we need to be healthy when we play in the offs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s no reason to rest starters unless they are dealing with an injury.

If they want to rest, make sure the lead is big enough heading into the second half against the Bears. 

I agree with this. But unfortunately I expect a close game against the Bears. They are too good of a team to expect a one sided affair. 

19 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I wouldn’t ever rest starters unless they truly earned it. The Vikes played like crap last week. Do we really want to go into the playoffs being swept by both the Packers and Bears?

Playing time should be optional for Kirk, tell him do what you have to do, but its Superbowl or bust for future contract talks.

Absolutley can't play:

Thielen, Diggs, Cook, Hunter, Smith, etc.

All impact players need to be far from the field.  I dont want to beat the Bears and lose the following week.  Bears in 95-0 because no Vikings play, Vikings rip off 3 straight playoff wins, lose to Baltimore in the Superbowl.

Honestly, if we lose we need to blow it up.  Not sure how far they can go.  But Griffen, Barr, Rhodes, Smith, the DTs, Rudolf, Thielen, Diggs, Cousins can all be moved in the offseason.  Fire the O-Line and start over.  Plan for MAX 1 or 2 wins next year.  Draft a QB in 2021, draft O line and D line exclusively in 2020.  Pretty much spend 2020 building top 5 lineman on both sides.  No offense, we need to lose and lose bad.  Lawrence and Fields should go 1 and 2 so we need a top 2 position.

If we don't do this and keep our guys and go 10-6 again and again we are the definition of insanity.  I'm as hardcore a Vikings fan as you can find.  And I'm willing to lose and lose real bad to build a dynasty as I'm sure most are.  I want the Best QB now, it Minnys turn. Time for our team to be that OP squad.  I don't want average any more.  Either superbowl or #1 picks, anything in between is frustration for Vikes fans.

51 minutes ago, Viking Penguin said:

Playing time should be optional for Kirk, tell him do what you have to do, but its Superbowl or bust for future contract talks.

Absolutley can't play:

Thielen, Diggs, Cook, Hunter, Smith, etc.

All impact players need to be far from the field.  I dont want to beat the Bears and lose the following week.  Bears in 95-0 because no Vikings play, Vikings rip off 3 straight playoff wins, lose to Baltimore in the Superbowl.

Honestly, if we lose we need to blow it up.  Not sure how far they can go.  But Griffen, Barr, Rhodes, Smith, the DTs, Rudolf, Thielen, Diggs, Cousins can all be moved in the offseason.  Fire the O-Line and start over.  Plan for MAX 1 or 2 wins next year.  Draft a QB in 2021, draft O line and D line exclusively in 2020.  Pretty much spend 2020 building top 5 lineman on both sides.  No offense, we need to lose and lose bad.  Lawrence and Fields should go 1 and 2 so we need a top 2 position.

If we don't do this and keep our guys and go 10-6 again and again we are the definition of insanity.  I'm as hardcore a Vikings fan as you can find.  And I'm willing to lose and lose real bad to build a dynasty as I'm sure most are.  I want the Best QB now, it Minnys turn. Time for our team to be that OP squad.  I don't want average any more.  Either superbowl or #1 picks, anything in between is frustration for Vikes fans.

And that sets us back for more and more seasons. This sounds like an idiotic move and whoever did this would be fired. We have the talent to win a Super Bowl, we just need a bit more help. Our outside weapons that you want to unload are 29 and 26. Two guys with legitimate claims as not only top 10 wide receivers, but easily the best pass catching duo in the game. Harry Smith is still playing like a top 3 safety, Griffen will be in the come back player of the year race. Kirk has been a savage since week 4. 

Planning for 1 or 2 wins next year to draft the best qb in 2021? What happens if we get the next Jamarcus Russell? We will be a bottom feeding team with a terrible qb, and guess what, no weapons other than Dalvin Cook. Also our defense will be trash.

Our weakness is the oline by far. We need to chase after whoever the big money free agent linemen are and take build the line in the draft. No lie, if Kirk has just 3-4 seconds of a clean pocket on Monday, we blow them out. Also, those runs where Boone wasn’t explosive enough or strong enough to get the extra yards when he actually found a hole, Cook or mattison woulda went to work. Once we get some competent oline play we are good

2 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

And that sets us back for more and more seasons. This sounds like an idiotic move and whoever did this would be fired. We have the talent to win a Super Bowl, we just need a bit more help. Our outside weapons that you want to unload are 29 and 26. Two guys with legitimate claims as not only top 10 wide receivers, but easily the best pass catching duo in the game. Harry Smith is still playing like a top 3 safety, Griffen will be in the come back player of the year race. Kirk has been a savage since week 4. 

Planning for 1 or 2 wins next year to draft the best qb in 2021? What happens if we get the next Jamarcus Russell? We will be a bottom feeding team with a terrible qb, and guess what, no weapons other than Dalvin Cook. Also our defense will be trash.

Our weakness is the oline by far. We need to chase after whoever the big money free agent linemen are and take build the line in the draft. No lie, if Kirk has just 3-4 seconds of a clean pocket on Monday, we blow them out. Also, those runs where Boone wasn’t explosive enough or strong enough to get the extra yards when he actually found a hole, Cook or mattison woulda went to work. Once we get some competent oline play we are good

Sets us back how?  We aren’t doing anything anyway. You don’t really believe that our entry into the playoffs is going to go past the first game. You can’t...   We are a hardcore average team with a terrific Dalvin Cook as our Running Back.  While you think setting us back season after season is idiotic, you yourself come across that way when you absolutely refuse to see our flaws; flaws that have been there all year, and harped on every single time we play a good team. I am so damn sick and tired of Vikings fans being okay with mediocrity. Just accepting it because that’s who we are. No! Damn it, no! “We’re not that bad. You’re just a fair weather fan”, “Zimmer has won a lot of games”, “We are always competitive, where else are you going to find that?” — among many other reasonings I hear. It takes risks and a change in scenery when you’ve had 1 playoff win in 6 years with a head coach. And that win was on accident, and was a miracle.  

I’ve heard that we need a “bit more help” every single damn season and it’s beyond annoying and flat out willingly blind by fans like you.  We need a lot more than a bit more help. After 3 years you shouldn’t need a “bit more help”, you should have that team locked in and ready to compete for a championship. With health on your side, since that is a component to take into account, but in 3 - 4 years, you should be a Super Bowl contender. Then 5 - 6 years as a coach you should be as dominant and make consistent deep playoff runs like teams such as the Seahawks, Saints, Patriots, Steelers, etc. If you’re not, then changes need to be made. Almost any other fanbase would think this way. 

All those players you mentioned — while yes, they are STILL playing pretty well, they’re also STILL getting pretty old. So your statement regarding their performance doesn’t sway me either way. If their moved during a change then so be it   I do not believe we will ever win a Super Bowl with Zimmer   

I am not saying just tank for the best QB, but imo, should Zimmer be let go following this season? Yes, and whatever happens from there on is whatever. All I know is that we need to try something new. I like many MANY other Viking fans are ditching this specific Viking’s team   We are done   Why people like you refuse to admit to glaring holes in both the team and staff is just tedious to deal with when discussing options for the future   

That last paragraph makes sense and J can get on board with all of it, but Zimmer still has to go.  

2 hours ago, Torchezim said:

Sets us back how?  We aren’t doing anything anyway. You don’t really believe that our entry into the playoffs is going to go past the first game. You can’t...   We are a hardcore average team with a terrific Dalvin Cook as our Running Back.  While you think setting us back season after season is idiotic, you yourself come across that way when you absolutely refuse to see our flaws; flaws that have been there all year, and harped on every single time we play a good team. I am so damn sick and tired of Vikings fans being okay with mediocrity. Just accepting it because that’s who we are. No! Damn it, no! “We’re not that bad. You’re just a fair weather fan”, “Zimmer has won a lot of games”, “We are always competitive, where else are you going to find that?” — among many other reasonings I hear. It takes risks and a change in scenery when you’ve had 1 playoff win in 6 years with a head coach. And that win was on accident, and was a miracle.  

I’ve heard that we need a “bit more help” every single damn season and it’s beyond annoying and flat out willingly blind by fans like you.  We need a lot more than a bit more help. After 3 years you shouldn’t need a “bit more help”, you should have that team locked in and ready to compete for a championship. With health on your side, since that is a component to take into account, but in 3 - 4 years, you should be a Super Bowl contender. Then 5 - 6 years as a coach you should be as dominant and make consistent deep playoff runs like teams such as the Seahawks, Saints, Patriots, Steelers, etc. If you’re not, then changes need to be made. Almost any other fanbase would think this way. 

All those players you mentioned — while yes, they are STILL playing pretty well, they’re also STILL getting pretty old. So your statement regarding their performance doesn’t sway me either way. If their moved during a change then so be it   I do not believe we will ever win a Super Bowl with Zimmer   

I am not saying just tank for the best QB, but imo, should Zimmer be let go following this season? Yes, and whatever happens from there on is whatever. All I know is that we need to try something new. I like many MANY other Viking fans are ditching this specific Viking’s team   We are done   Why people like you refuse to admit to glaring holes in both the team and staff is just tedious to deal with when discussing options for the future   

That last paragraph makes sense and J can get on board with all of it, but Zimmer still has to go.  

I actually have to agree with this.

I mean I get it....we've been blessed with not having a 2-14 or 3-13 season for a long, long looooong time. But I'm almost to the point where I WANT a 3-13 season to at least get a true franchise player (much preferred at the QB position) and start the "new era" of Vikings football. I mean who do we have that you can call "THE guy" in Minnesota? Cook is probably the closest thing and he's close to missing more games than he's played and it might be wise not to give him $70 million over 5 years. Hunter is a great defensive player but the unit around him is aging very rapidly and I don't see "the next generation of pro-bowlers" sitting on the bench learning the ropes ready to take over for the aging vets.

The Vikings & Wild (for most of the 2010's at least) are in the same boat. Good enough to make the playoffs but not win a trophy. Not bad enough to get a true stud of a player to put them over the top.

I don't see this current version of Vikings football being more than a "one & done" or at most a "squeak out one playoff win but lose the next game" type of team. I look into the future of this team and it's just....blah. Nothing to get excited for. There's no "Yep, this team can win it all!" or "Look at this team full of young hot shots! The future looks bright!" Instead, it's "Eh, we have a team just good enough to get to the playoffs. MAYBE win a game."

Like you said, I don't know why fans are fine with that. I don't know why fans still think Zimmer is the head coach to lead us into the future. Is he a bad head coach? Heck no. Is he a great head coach? Also no. However, the entire "Well he has a winning record!" thing is baffling. OK cool, he can win in the regular season. He's won ONE playoff game in 6 season (insert Zimmer defenders and the "Well they should have won the Seattle game!" here). I just don't see him as anything more than that. He's Marvin Lewis. And look how Cincy has been doing the last couple years when that playoff mediocrity wore out.

I'm getting sick of the baffling coaching decisions. I'm getting sick of this team crapping the bed against top-tier teams. I'm getting sick of this team folding when there's even the slightest bit of pressure on them. I'm getting sick of first round picks who don't amount to anything.

I don't know if it's blowing it up or replacing the head coach or replacing the GM or replacing the QB or ALL of the above but whatever it is, I'm not "fine" with being a playoff team every other year and that one year is a "maybe we can win a game" type of team.

But you know what? I'm still going to plop down $2,600 every season and go to every game because they're our Vikings win, lose, or draw.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228