Week 17: Bears (7-8) at VIKINGS (10-5)

swede700

52 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

If we planned on resting players, why not let them play the first half and then the backups the second half?

The problem with that is that there are only so many backups. It is already impossible to rest all starters. By letting the full starting crew play there are even less backups to play in the second half. If the Vikings wants to rest starters they need to make a decision on some of them before the inactives are declared before kickoff.

For example, most teams only have 8-9 offensive linemen on the roster. They do not normally have all of them active for the game. But even if the team keeps 8 active, it is not possible to have a five starters for the first half and then still have five backups for the second half.

If the team's intention is to play the backups they really need to deactivate starters which means not playing those starters for the first half and switching. It will already not be possible to rest all of the starters even if seven of the starters are declared inactive.

• Like 1

Vikings should rest the starters. There’s no honor in playing/winning a meaningless game. I doubt a win and so-called momentum makes a difference. Unfortunately, regardless if we generate ‘momentum’ or rest our starters, we will be underdogs in the playoffs. I say rest them. Who cares about Chicago? They are irrelevant! Let’s prepare for the Saints or whoever. Let’s come out and actually give a full effort; no excuses! That’s what I want and expect from the Viking’s organization. 

And I like Zimmer. I like the zone blocking scheme. We need to grow and improve, but this is the direction I support. 

• Like 2

Too many people on here are forgetting that football is a game of “any given Sunday”. Once you’re into the playoffs you can’t think about the history and what went into getting there. It’s like starting a new season. You’ve just got to line up and beat the team across from you. We have dinged up players who need to get healthy and we’re fortunate enough to do so. Definitely the right move.

Edited by eaganfootball4
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, eaganfootball4 said:

Too many people on here are forgetting that football is a game of “any given Sunday”. Once you’re into the playoffs you can’t think about the history and what went into getting there. It’s like starting a new season. You’ve just got to line up and beat the team across from you. We have dinged up players who need to get healthy and we’re fortunate enough to do so. Definitely the right move.

Good point.  Let’s lobby the NFL to stop scheduling Monday night games for the Vikings.  Only Sunday noon games with TV coverage in Hennepin and Ramsey counties only.  19-0 guaranteed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, since72 said:

Good point.  Let’s lobby the NFL to stop scheduling Monday night games for the Vikings.  Only Sunday noon games with TV coverage in Hennepin and Ramsey counties only.  19-0 guaranteed.

Haha quotations were included to cover this argument, but I enjoyed your post either way. 

15 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Vikings should rest the starters. There’s no honor in playing/winning a meaningless game. I doubt a win and so-called momentum makes a difference. Unfortunately, regardless if we generate ‘momentum’ or rest our starters, we will be underdogs in the playoffs. I say rest them. Who cares about Chicago? They are irrelevant! Let’s prepare for the Saints or whoever. Let’s come out and actually give a full effort; no excuses! That’s what I want and expect from the Viking’s organization. 

And I like Zimmer. I like the zone blocking scheme. We need to grow and improve, but this is the direction I support. 

I like the positivity but we have been growing and improving under Zimmer for far too long.  It’s about time we won something that didn’t require a miracle in doing it.  

I don’t despise Zimmer as a coach, nor do I dislike him as a person; I believe he needs to go though. This Bears game and the playoff game will once again be very telling. 

41 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

I like the positivity but we have been growing and improving under Zimmer for far too long.  It’s about time we won something that didn’t require a miracle in doing it.  

I don’t despise Zimmer as a coach, nor do I dislike him as a person; I believe he needs to go though. This Bears game and the playoff game will once again be very telling. 

I doubt the Bear’s game will tell us much. I agree, the playoff game, on the other hand, will be very telling. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

I do think there is merit in having Cousins start the game just to kill this dumb narrative. He can hand the ball off and take a nice rest, though. There is nothing to gain by playing anyone. I don't care about rust for the playoff game.

i'm all for it, cousins will very likely be active anyways since we only have two QBs on the roster. keep him active, let him hand it off on the first snap and then let mannion take over. 

though i could see zimmer not caring as cousins has played two fully healthy seasons for us whether or not he starts tomorrow.

10 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

Easy enough

I'm not implying it is easy.

But it is the "easiest" of the 4 major sport leagues where you need to win upwards of 16 games (and play potential 28 total games) in others. Over the long haul talent will win out. In NFL, luck on any given Sunday could play a "big" role