GDT 17, Finally...this season is OVER! Now What the hell happens?

Bucketheadsdad

Who ya got?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got this Sunday?

• Browns
    • Bengals
    • Jimmy Truckstop
    • Kiwi
    • Hornby
    • Just shoot me now.
    • Better shoot me again. This has gone on for 20 years now.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Looks like someone has never heard the term “cap casualty”. 

Eh, I didn’t see much of a drop off with Chad Thomas tbh.

Vernon did nothing after preseason.

Which is how much again?

And his dead cap is what?

Agreed there.

3 minutes ago, mistakey said:

That’s not true.  You cut a guy making 15 million if he can’t see the field and produce more than 3 sacks regardless of whether or not you can find someone better.

By most measures, there was tremendously significant drop off in play quality against the run with Chad Thomas despite his occasional splash plays and to a lesser extent against the pass.... and I've been a Chad Thomas supporter since the draft.

I get cap casualty very well, but why create additional holes when those players can easily serve as bridge players and come off the cap when we have the ability to upgrade the position in a year.

You can't tell me Chad Thomas, Bryan Cox Jr, Porter Gustin, and some 4th round rookie (the DE class is nothingness) or Emmanuel Ogbah (check out the DE Free Agent class man.. it's a nothingness.. seriously) is better than having Vernon try to come back healthier. Guys in the locker room respect him as well.

Our roster is our roster right now. Subtracting Vernon and Richardson doesn't improve us. Maybe we can trade for more depth and upgrade those positions. But this is truly scarce year in both the draft and Free Agency if you want a Defensive End or Defensive Tackle.

I don't see a viable path via the draft (assuming we don't get Epenesa in the 1st or Okwara in the 2nd) for us to improve DE/DT without sacrificing using those picks on OLineman which is are most desperate need. So, if we can't get it through the draft and the players aren't available in Free Agency, that would mean that we return with our current roster unless we trade or pick up another cap casualty.

Maybe there are alternatives that have yet to manifest because those players are still on teams.. but right now I don't see it.

4 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Never want to hear about “football guys” again.  I wanna hear about the AI model that Paul depo is building to determine the most effective route combinations.  I then want a smart guy who knows football who listens to him.  Like John harbaugh :(

You absolutely know that he has done exactly that. Imagine DepoDesta and a guy like Lincoln Riley 

Just now, mistakey said:

Yeah I posted a WSJ article about them hiring a data scientist to do it but - paywalled :(

Dam that would be a great article to read. We are wasting the person who is probably the smartest person in pro sport. I was elated when we signed him but Haslim actually needs to listen 

2 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

I was thinking more Dane Cruikshank.

That's future legend Dane Cruikshank to you pal.... his legend is being restrained and held back by all-pro Kevin Byard starting in his stead.

If we traded for Dane, there's no draft pick cost that would be too much. He'd ascend to all-pro day 1. 

The prophecy foretold... 

... don't you get it...