12/29 - The Backup Bowl GDT: Steelers @ Ravens

AFlaccoSeagulls

6 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

RG3 deserved that. Showboating after his run and first down. 

Now you could say THAT was well deserved.

Just now, AngusMcFife said:

The difference is those other teams don't leave the edge player unblocked so there usually isn't a defender running free in the backfield. 

Not sure what your point is, it’s illegal to hit a QB on such a play. It’s both a late hit as well as an unnecessary roughness on a protected QB.

I’m looking for Harbaugh to talk about how he’s going to send this to the league office in the presser as a warning to opposing teams in how they play us during the playoffs.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Texans are the easiest team to beat of those teams. I would rank:

Texans > Bills > TItans

Agreed. Although if NE is knocked out by the Titans, our road to the Super Bowl could be vs Titans, then Bills/Texans in the championship game if they beat KC. 

If our opponent in the divisional round is Texans/Bills, then our championship game would be vs NE/KC. I think I'd rather play the Titans in the divisional game if it means we might not have to face NE or KC in the championship.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Texans are the easiest team to beat of those teams. I would rank:

Texans > Bills > TItans

I'm not buying the Titans hype. I'd probably take them among the round 2 options. The Texans beat them pretty cleanly a couple weeks ago on the road. Their defense isn't good and they've never seen Lamar. 

The Bills would be the toughest matchup IMO. Their defense is the best unit of any of those teams. Plus Josh Allen is a wild card who could blow a game against a weak team, but also over-perform against and be annoying tough to stop on a critical drive. 

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Agreed. 

Texans OL makes them beatable (as we saw in the regular season) and that defense doesn't scare anyone, and the Bills O is the worst of the teams that have made the play-offs. Tannehill playing at such a high level, plus Henry being such a beast makes them a tricky team to play

Yeah no one wants to tackle that dude for sure. But I would switch it. Bills IMO are the team I would have as the worst. They have a good defense but without crazy wind I don’t think they’re as legit against us. Whereas the Texans offense having rested starters could have those 3 WRs healthy. With that running game that could be a dangerous proposition, especially if Watt truly is healthy. Would easily rather take my chances with the Bills at home. Allen would also be in his first playoff game too. Have to think that would play a big part.

I would go:

Bills > Texans > Titans

Though if Watt is healthy:

Bills > Titans > Texans

4 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Agreed. Although if NE is knocked out by the Titans, our road to the Super Bowl could be vs Titans, then Bills/Texans in the championship game if they beat KC. 

If our opponent in the divisional round is Texans/Bills, then our championship game would be vs NE/KC. I think I'd rather play the Titans in the divisional game if it means we might not have to face NE or KC in the championship.  

Would agree with this. The Titans really don’t have a host of receivers. If you can stop Henry before he gets going that’s the way to play him. I would have Humphrey on Brown all game long and then just load up the box and play the Titans how we played the Browns with Chubb in that second game.

13 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Now you could say THAT was well deserved.

Not sure what your point is, it’s illegal to hit a QB on such a play. It’s both a late hit as well as an unnecessary roughness on a protected QB.

I’m looking for Harbaugh to talk about how he’s going to send this to the league office in the presser as a warning to opposing teams in how they play us during the playoffs.

"If we get a chance to hit him, we want to hit him," Ravens strong safety Bernard Pollard said. "In Baltimore, we don't roll that way. We're going to hit you. He's basically a running back who can throw the ball very well. You look at Robert Griffin III, you look at Kaepernick, and they're very special talents.

I miss that team...

1. With a so-so performance against the Browns and winning the backup bowl in bad weather, the Ravens aren't exactly going into the playoffs with a lot of momentum. But that can actually be a good thing, as other teams can be talked about and talked up, all while we prepare for them and get healthy. I doubt we can become an underdog, but having the media focus on other teams might be a good thing.

2. The Steelers gameplan to hit RGIII as much as they did might be something our coaches can use moving forward. If they can show the video and get referees attention to that part, we might get some flags both well deserves but also the cheap ones, if other teams take the same approach against Lamar.

3. RGIII disappointed as a backup. The weather was crap, he played with backups - but not to a degree where we can be happy with 92 passing yards and a lack of pocket awareness. His play yesterday might make our coaching staff think of making certain packages, where we run him more and play him like we did with Lamar last year.

4. Brandon Carr seemed to take ET's role last night and did well. I am in the camp of keeping him his final year.

5. Gus Edwards is the kind of back we should keep. Again, sign him earlier and cheaper and keep the wear and tear down. If he becomes more complete, we can see some great plays from him in the passing game where he gets to the outside against cornerbacks

6. Justice Hill has a lot to learn, but we are seeing more and more from him. No reason to give up and he is still the kind of back, that can take the ball to the house or get up the field fast on a swing pass. I am less concerned about him than I was just 3-4 games ago.

7. The steelers game told us very little about backups. Scott, Boykin, Powers, Ehinger all need to evolve. Averett wasn't tested much and I saw very little from Imam Marshall. I had hoped for more.

8. We are going to see a lot of teams looking for new head coaches. I would not be surprised to see us lose both Wink and Roman, although I hope they are picky and don't go take a job at one of the crappy franchises, but instead realize what we have here in Baltimore going forward and maybe use that as a platform to get a better position. 

11 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I think calling the game against the browns a so-so performance (to the point that it would cause you to question this teams momentum) is indicative of how much this team has already spoiled us. 

That is true, but I could also have been more elaborate about that statement. I did take us 27 minutes to get anything going offensively and our pass rush never got home in that game. Browns had a lot of their backup players on defense, and eventually we could just run all over them. There is no reason to be concerned, that we don't have the players, scheme, talent, coaching to advance in the playoffs. On the contrary we are in a position, where anything but a super bowl would be a disappointment the way this year played out. But if we want to win against a Bills/Texans/Titans team and eventually the Chiefs, then we have to be consistent, avoid getting shut out for almost an entire half and show we can set that edge in the run game and get to the quarterback. 

Tannehill is on a roll, Watson and Allen can operate in chaos so those Brandon Carr misses on a blitz can't happen against those guys as they will punish us more than Mayfield or Duck call guy

4 minutes ago, Danand said:

That is true, but I could also have been more elaborate about that statement. I did take us 27 minutes to get anything going offensively and our pass rush never got home in that game. Browns had a lot of their backup players on defense, and eventually we could just run all over them. There is no reason to be concerned, that we don't have the players, scheme, talent, coaching to advance in the playoffs. On the contrary we are in a position, where anything but a super bowl would be a disappointment the way this year played out. But if we want to win against a Bills/Texans/Titans team and eventually the Chiefs, then we have to be consistent, avoid getting shut out for almost an entire half and show we can set that edge in the run game and get to the quarterback. 

Tannehill is on a roll, Watson and Allen can operate in chaos so those Brandon Carr misses on a blitz can't happen against those guys as they will punish us more than Mayfield or Duck call guy

Titans lost 2/3 and their only win is against Houston's backups. Bills have lost 3/4. Texans 2/4 and we drubbed em earlier.

I think your holding us to an unreasonable standard. We won by 16 and 18 points against divisional opponents. No team can play perfect for 60 minutes every week.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Titans lost 2/3 and their only win is against Houston's backups. Bills have lost 3/4. Texans 2/4 and we drubbed em earlier.

I think your holding us to an unreasonable standard. We won by 16 and 18 points against divisional opponents. No team can play perfect for 60 minutes every week.

What happened earlier in the season is pretty much a null right now. Elimination game is something different and some teams don't thrive in them as much as others do. Fortunately I believe we are a team that can do that, but if momentum swings the wrong we and can't put points on the board in the first half while we can't get to the opposing QB and we get behind and can't play like we want to, that is an issue.

I still consider us favorites, but if we don't play up to our potential, we will lose

1 hour ago, Danand said:

1. With a so-so performance against the Browns and winning the backup bowl in bad weather, the Ravens aren't exactly going into the playoffs with a lot of momentum. But that can actually be a good thing, as other teams can be talked about and talked up, all while we prepare for them and get healthy. I doubt we can become an underdog, but having the media focus on other teams might be a good thing.

The fact that this team came off the bye and laid waste to the rest of the league after that gives me hope that having the bye will supercharge this team. Time off means more tweaking and fine tuning the offense, whoever we face will see some things we haven't shown on tape before. 

3. RGIII disappointed as a backup. The weather was crap, he played with backups - but not to a degree where we can be happy with 92 passing yards and a lack of pocket awareness. His play yesterday might make our coaching staff think of making certain packages, where we run him more and play him like we did with Lamar last year.

I think he'll be cut this offseason and we'll bring in another rookie. Lamar doesn't need a mentor taking up a roster spot, he's the MVP. RGIII's on field celebrations were a bit much, is Lamar supposed to emulate that? LOL I thought RGIII said its not about me, its about the team.  

46 minutes ago, Danand said:

What happened earlier in the season is pretty much a null right now. Elimination game is something different and some teams don't thrive in them as much as others do. Fortunately I believe we are a team that can do that, but if momentum swings the wrong we and can't put points on the board in the first half while we can't get to the opposing QB and we get behind and can't play like we want to, that is an issue.

I still consider us favorites, but if we don't play up to our potential, we will lose

This just sounds like something someone would say on ESPN as a talking point.

If we play bad, we will lose? Yea, that's usually how it works. I just don't get what you're going for here?

Edited by M.10.E

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

This just sounds like something someone would say on ESPN as a talking point.

If we play bad, we will lose? Yea, that's usually how it works. I just don't get what you're going for here?

I don't have/watch ESPN so I don't know what they do. I point towards some things that can't happen against better teams. 

With regard to the bolded part - if we can't talk scenarios, what are we doing here?