Head coach candidates

lavar703

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The rhetoric here, and amongst the local and national media largely indicates this feeling.  

People are excited that Brice is gone and a football person was hired. They’re happy that we are getting a well respected football coach. He’s had some success as a coach and been to a super bowl which this franchise would take seeing as we haven’t been close to one since I was 12 and I’m now 40.

I don’t know why that’s hard for someone to see.

There are no slam dunks in the NFL as hires go. There are no sure things. But, I’ll take a good hiring when I see it and I’ll take the word of current and former players and the respect Rivera has developed around the league for decades as a coach as a positive sign that we could be going in the right direction.

All those players you mentioned, Rivera developed them into the players they became. If he can do that along with his staff for the 25 players we have that are under 25 on our current roster - and soon to be more when the draft happens - then, I’ll be happy about that too.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Once again things have been changing with the whole who gets hired 1st the GM or Coach. I like the idea of Rivera for the reasons I already stated above. A CHANGE OF CULTURE! He will get the best of of the players. We don't know who the GM is going to be but I'm certain he won't be a GM that can't work with Rivera. Even promoting Kyle Smith to GM seems like a good move. They've been pretty good with drafting guys now you have the HC to coach them up. 

Those are your teams with sustained success in the NFL.  We aren't talking flash in the pans, or like the Panthers where you have one great year, and a couple other division titles.  The teams that I mentioned are nearly year in and year out competing for division titles, playoff games and Super Bowls.  Most of those teams have a GM in place who controls the front office and hires the coach.  Two of those teams have a shared role as far as roster construction and have an extensive relationship that dates back years.  And there is one outlier named Bill Belichick.  

There are many more situations about GMs who are brought in during a coaches tenure, working with them and ultimately firing them and looking for their replacements, than the other way around.  The blueprint is there for sustained success, and Snyder once again chose to ignore it and went for a splash hire.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Those are your teams with sustained success in the NFL.  We aren't talking flash in the pans, or like the Panthers where you have one great year, and a couple other division titles.  The teams that I mentioned are nearly year in and year out competing for division titles, playoff games and Super Bowls.  Most of those teams have a GM in place who controls the front office and hires the coach.  Two of those teams have a shared role as far as roster construction and have an extensive relationship that dates back years.  And there is one outlier named Bill Belichick.  

There are many more situations about GMs who are brought in during a coaches tenure, working with them and ultimately firing them and looking for their replacements, than the other way around.  The blueprint is there for sustained success, and Snyder once again chose to ignore it and went for a splash hire.  

Ok keep complaining about something multiple Teams are doing in the league. Go start rooting for the Teams that build the way you would like Teams to be built. The Redskins obviously aren't getting the job done for you here. 

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Ok keep complaining about something multiple Teams are doing in the league. Go start rooting for the Teams that build the way you would like Teams to be built. The Redskins obviously aren't getting the job done for you here. 

And they aren't having success with it.  So yeah, I'm going to be a bit upset than Danny Boy hasn't learned anything in 20 years of failure.  

I know it’s low down the priority list, but I hope the redskins replace Larry Michaels- can’t stand his Bruce Allenesque delivery. What’s wrong with getting someone who won’t be a schill but is a fan. My vote works be Smooty as he’d bring some fun to the media the intro could be changed to having dancing girls, then Smoot comes in dressed like Shaft- the original version and delivers the redskins news and entertainment 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

I know it’s low down the priority list, but I hope the redskins replace Larry Michaels- can’t stand his Bruce Allenesque delivery. What’s wrong with getting someone who won’t be a schill but is a fan. My vote works be Smooty as he’d bring some fun to the media the intro could be changed to having dancing girls, then Smoot comes in dressed like Shaft- the original version and delivers the redskins news and entertainment 

Dude! Larry Michael (no S) and if you don’t know that joke then your entire post makes no sense since it touches both of your ideas.

54 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Couple of things:

1. Rivera isn't even officially hired yet.  So he hasn't been hired before a GM.

2. If the GM is someone in house, then they were here before Rivera.

3. We can't really complain about the GM situation when we don't even know what it is going to be yet.  

4. I don't see the big deal of who was hired first as long as  they work well together.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but All Pro nods are not fan based.

AP writers vote on them, and it's not like the pro bowl where it's based off conference, and you can be considered a Pro Bowler even if you are 8th in line.  

Besides which, just about everyone was all over Bruce Alenn for never having any first team All-Pros and only Trent Williams as a second team guy.  

12 minutes ago, Woz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but All Pro nods are not fan based.

It's still a popularity contest amongst fans, players and writers. 

They were coming off a season removed from going 15-1 and nearly winning the Superbowl, of course they’re going to have a lot of pro bowl players.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

It's still a popularity contest amongst fans, players and writers. 

They were coming off a season removed from going 15-1 and nearly winning the Superbowl, of course they’re going to have a lot of pro bowl players.

All Pro is decided by AP writers and is different from that Pro Bowl.  It is a much more exclusive crowd and higher honor.  They had 8 if I recall the numbers that night on the 2015 roster and they all carried over to 2016.  

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

All Pro is decided by AP writers and is different from that Pro Bowl.  It is a much more exclusive crowd and higher honor.  They had 8 if I recall the numbers that night on the 2015 roster and they all carried over to 2016.  

I guess mixed that up bc I thought you mentioned 8 pro bowlers and I was talking about that. Woz mentioned All-Pros which I misunderstood when I was commenting on his post.

Does Rivera get credit for developing those 8 all-pro players? I believe all of them were players that he developed into what they became. 

Edited by turtle28

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Couple of things:

1. Rivera isn't even officially hired yet.  So he hasn't been hired before a GM.

2. If the GM is someone in house, then they were here before Rivera.

3. We can't really complain about the GM situation when we don't even know what it is going to be yet.  

4. I don't see the big deal of who was hired first as long as  they work well together.

Valid points.  As I stated for the Seahawks, Schneider and Carroll were hired within a week from one another.  I could take a case of someone in-house taking over here soon, or even up to the time training camp begins.  

However, there is too much going on in the NFL where a coach is hired, then a GM comes on board, ends up firing the coach that he didn't select, and then wants to pick his own guy.  That's what I don't want to see us copy.  I wouldn't have an issue with Schaeffer or Smith being promoted, or with someone coming here right after a coach is brought in and it's more of a partnership deal.  

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I guess mixed that up bc I thought you mentioned 8 pro bowlers and I was talking about that. Woz mentioned All-Pros which I misunderstood when I was commenting on his post.

I was always talking All-Pro nominations.  I might've mentioned "they have more Pro Bowlers than All Pro guys too" but I wouldn't ever use the Pro Bowl as the center of an argument.  All-Pro is a much more exclusive class of player, and it's chosen by a national panel of writers.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I was always talking All-Pro nominations.  I might've mentioned "they have more Pro Bowlers than All Pro guys too" but I wouldn't ever use the Pro Bowl as the center of an argument.  All-Pro is a much more exclusive class of player, and it's chosen by a national panel of writers.  

Yes I know the difference. I must have mixed up the two when I read your one post.

We thank god we’ll have a coach who developed 8 former All-Pro players! 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29d2f099696abab63ebb

Edited by turtle28