Head coach candidates

lavar703

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He has failed to keep up with the times offensively.  Look at what Ed Orgeron did by hiring Joe Brady.  Coach Ken did the same thing at Navy this year- defense was a huge issue last year, and he asked around his coaching circle which includes BB, Meyer and Chip Kelly- and he hired Brian Newberry who has transformed the defense in one year.  Miles' offense at LSU was a dinosaur at the end.  Kirby Smart is in danger of the same thing happening at Georgia- he needs to find his Joe Brady to help fix the offense.  Even Meyer innovated by bringing in Ryan Day and getting away from the power run system he had.  

You've got to innovate at both levels, or else everyone will pass you by.  

But that’s not the argument. The argument is whether he’s a great coach. I’d say his record as a HC over the decades speaks for itself, the man can coach. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He has failed to keep up with the times offensively.  Look at what Ed Orgeron did by hiring Joe Brady.  Coach Ken did the same thing at Navy this year- defense was a huge issue last year, and he asked around his coaching circle which includes BB, Meyer and Chip Kelly- and he hired Brian Newberry who has transformed the defense in one year.  Miles' offense at LSU was a dinosaur at the end.  Kirby Smart is in danger of the same thing happening at Georgia- he needs to find his Joe Brady to help fix the offense.  Even Meyer innovated by bringing in Ryan Day and getting away from the power run system he had.  

You've got to innovate at both levels, or else everyone will pass you by.  

We need someone who can be a quality CEO and manager of our franchise.  I think Rivera is qualified to do that.  His coaching staff will do the majority of the Xs and Os.  Hiring a quality staff will be important.

• Like 1

Overall record in Carolina: 76-63-1

3 time division winner (2013-2015)

4 playoff berths, 3 playoff wins

3 winning seasons (including the 15-1 campaign in 2015).

Brought Carolina out of the basement and back into the spotlight himself

Worked with not the best rosters (aka Gettleman was the Panthers GM) and with challenging ownership (Richardson and then Tepper).

I think he’s a great can’t miss hire. I would not mind seeing him on our sideline week 1 next year.

9 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

His defense and ability to make grown men listen is what excites me. This defense can take flight under his leadership. Give Haskins a guy who believes in him and can continue to develop him the offense is good. Rivera brings a different type of Respect/Player Liking past coaches don't give you. He will hold you accountable but also show he cares about you off the field. Thats a guy you give your all for Especially for a Occupation you signed up for! 

Again, over the past four seasons, he's got a sub .500 record despite substantial talent at his disposal including three generational talents that the Redskins haven't come anywhere close to replicating.  And his defensive ranks those years are 26, 11, 19 and 31.  Plus, he hired Norval Turner to oversee his offense.  

I have no confidence in Rivera doing well in DC.  At least Marvin Lewis has tons of experience handling meddling owners, including one year here as "de facto" head coach for Spurrier.  

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We need someone who can be a quality CEO and manager of our franchise.  I think Rivera is qualified to do that.  His coaching staff will do the majority of the Xs and Os.  Hiring a quality staff will be important.

Image result for Norval Turner gifs"

I have no confidence in him putting together a competent staff after this hire. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Kinda scattering all over the place with those All-Pro players. They may have been at certain times, they all weren’t that the last 4 years. Hell! Norman and Tolbert have been gone since 2015! Norwell gone the last two years. Greg Olsen is old, hasn’t played like a pro bowler in years, same with Kalil.

Also, on the flip side, who developed those players into generational talents and All-Pros?

I believe Ron Rivera was that man.

I took Norman out of my post since he wasn't on the 2016 roster, as I was looking at 2016-19.  And those All-Pro players are still playing for the Panthers, or played for them for a year or two after, and during those years he turned in a sub .500 record despite a lot of talent on the team.  And as I said, there are three generational talents on that team and he couldn't do better than .500.  

I am not impressed with his recent body of work at all.  

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Image result for Norval Turner gifs"

I have no confidence in him putting together a competent staff after this hire. 

So, Rivera hires the OC who developed the offense and running game which helped McCaffery have a record setting season and you’re turned off by that hire?

Interesting take...

Edited by turtle28

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

But that’s not the argument. The argument is whether he’s a great coach. I’d say his record as a HC over the decades speaks for itself, the man can coach. 

A great coach ceases to become a great coach if they can't innovate and keep up with the times.  Even if they can't innovate, they hire someone to put that system into place and oversee the process.  The LSU offense continued to be a dinosaur despite some great offensive talent like Odell Beckham.  

I mean, Coach O had Steve Ensminger running the Miles offense, he is a Miles disciple- he was a TE coach for Miles for six seasons, was interim OC in 2016 and replaced Matt Canada as OC for 2018.  That offense with Joe Burrow last year was the same old LSU offense, running out of the I formation and looking like a dinosaur.  Enter Joe Brady, and Burrow set record after record after record. 

Just now, turtle28 said:

So, Rivera hires the OC who developed the running game which helped McCaffery have a record setting season and you’re turned off by that hire?

Interesting take...

His offensive rankings by points scored since 2013: 27, 20, 16, 23, 14, 18 

Total yards may make this look a little better...........: 18, 27, 29, 28, 10, 19 

Maybe not so much better.  

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I took Norman out of my post since he wasn't on the 2016 roster, as I was looking at 2016-19.  And those All-Pro players are still playing for the Panthers, or played for them for a year or two after, and during those years he turned in a sub .500 record despite a lot of talent on the team.  And as I said, there are three generational talents on that team and he couldn't do better than .500.  

I am not impressed with his recent body of work at all.  

Did you look at injuries for said players? Also, we’re they all pro recently, or are you dating back to the All-Pro’s they had from the first half of the decade. And again, Norwell didn’t play on the team the last two seasons either. Cam played through a shoulder injury all year last year which required off-season surgery and this year he played two games on an injured foot which also required surgery.

But hey, let’s cherry pick what we want and ignore what’s actually happened to the team since the Panthers went 15-1 in 2015.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Did you look at injuries for said players? Also, we’re they all pro recently, or are you dating back to the All-Pro’s they had from the first half of the decade. And again, Norwell didn’t play on the team the last two seasons either. Cam played through a shoulder injury all year last year which required off-season surgery and this year he played two games on an injured foot which also required surgery.

But hey, let’s cherry pick what we want and ignore what’s actually happened to the team since the Panthers went 15-1 in 2015.

Kyle Allen's been a decent replacement, certainly better than the replacements we had for Alex Smith last year, whose injury staved off Jay Gruden's firing for an off-season and five games.  So the fact that the Panthers are still moving on from Rivera indicates to me that QB play or injury is not an excuse for their poor performance.  

Yes, I realize that some of those All Pro players are gone.  However, after that 15-1 season, they went 6-10 despite only really losing Josh Norman from that team.  

His career record is all over the place.  I just don't see the appeal here at all.  Beyond that 15-1 team, he's had a TON of talent that few teams can compare to, and he's disappointed with it.  

20 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Again, over the past four seasons, he's got a sub .500 record despite substantial talent at his disposal including three generational talents that the Redskins haven't come anywhere close to replicating.  And his defensive ranks those years are 26, 11, 19 and 31.  Plus, he hired Norval Turner to oversee his offense.  

I have no confidence in Rivera doing well in DC.  At least Marvin Lewis has tons of experience handling meddling owners, including one year here as "de facto" head coach for Spurrier.  

I can understand the meddling owner part, but I think with this move amd firing Allen, Snyder doesn't fit that mold anymore. Snyder would than have shown growth by moving on from Allen and allowing Rivera control over the team. I want my Players to Respect/Believe in their Coach. Rivera brings that witch will add to their enthusiasm to want to win. 

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

I can understand the meddling owner part, but I think with this move amd firing Allen, Snyder doesn't fit that mold anymore. Snyder would than have shown growth by moving on from Allen and allowing Rivera control over the team. I want my Players to Respect/Believe in their Coach. Rivera brings that witch will add to their enthusiasm to want to win. 

It's not firing Allen.  He is still going to be in the building in all likelihood- which is why most people are reporting this as he is being reassigned from football operations.  He's been reassigned from football operations before, and has gotten back in.  He's been reassigned from business operations after that, and got back in.  As long as he is in that building, he holds some kind of sway over Dan Snyder and until Allen is out of the building, this team won't move forward.  

And Snyder has always meddled, it's just that his meddling was more pronounced early on, and now it's being overshadowed by the fans hating Bruce.  At least with Jerry Jones and Mike Brown, they wear their meddling like a badge of honor.  Snyder operates from the shadows and through guys like Bruce Allen and Tony Wyllie (when he was here.)