Power Rankings and MVP Race Thread

RandyMossIsBoss

4 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Yeah yeah, should have seen that one coming.

Hopefully Roethlisberger can get the monkey off his back and beat the Patriots finally this year.

Hah!  That's funny too...you've got it all wrong...so I FIFY...

...which is why I said I was laughing now while I could; we all know what's coming...>:(

4 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

@RandyMossIsBoss How are the Eagles all the way down to the 5 spot, despite being tied for the best record, and even below the team they just beat?!

Yeah, Carson is done but the team isn’t and until they actually lose, their ranking should not suffer.  It’s based on actual results and not what might happen.

I've always heard power ranking being referred to as which teams are the best right now, Losing your starting QB essentially means you are done for the year as a team so expect a drop in the rankings.

6 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

I've always heard power ranking being referred to as which teams are the best right now, Losing your starting QB essentially means you are done for the year as a team so expect a drop in the rankings.

Case Keenum is the QB for the Vikes.  Nick Foles is no scrub.  He’s had HOF performances and has been no worse than Keenum yet they are still ranked higher.  Your acting as if we aren’t a balanced team with depth throughout as we’ve been weathering some big injury loss prior to Carson going down.

1 hour ago, jonu62882 said:

Case Keenum is the QB for the Vikes.  Nick Foles is no scrub.  He’s had HOF performances and has been no worse than Keenum yet they are still ranked higher.  Your acting as if we aren’t a balanced team with depth throughout as we’ve been weathering some big injury loss prior to Carson going down.

Keenum has been the QB for awhile now. He's proven himself more than a few times this year against good competition. Foles gets his first start of the year this weekend. You can't realistically expect people to think Foles is just going to step right in and fill Carson's shoes. It would be the same for any other team if they lost their starting QB. 

3 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

If Brady goes down, the pats drop off like a rock, same with pittsburgh, same with a lot of teams.

Record matters obviously, but it's not all the matters, otherwise what would be the point of power rankings?

Keenum and the Vikings had to prove themselves, and they did. Foles has not proved himself.

Wentz was playing at an MVP level and really carrying the offense at times, especially last week. With the way the Eagles' D has been these past few weeks, and now losing Carson, they are not looking like a very hot team. Hey, if Foles comes out and looks great (as I hope he does), Eagles could jump all the way back up to #2 on the list depending on how the rest of the week plays out. Hard to put a team in the top 5 when they've just lost their MVP candidate QB.

I was debating cutting off the first tier after Minnesota, and making the top tier the "SB favorite" tier, but decided against it, I just don't think there's that much separation there. As of now the 5 tiers are best described as: 

1. SB contender
  2. Playoff contender
  3. Solid team
  4. Mediocre team
  5. Pushover

Power Rankings (week 16)

1. Patriots 11-3 (↑ 1)
  2. Steelers 11-3 (↓ 1))
  3. Vikings 11-3 (--)
  4. Rams 10-4 (--)
  5. Eagles 12-2 (--)
  6. Saints 10-4 (--)
  7. Jaguars 10-4 (--)
  8. Panthers 10-4 (--)
  9. Falcons 9-5 (↑ 1)
  10. Ravens 8-6 (↑ 2)
  11. Seahawks 8-6 (↓ 2)
  12. Chiefs 8-6 (↑ 5) 
  13. Cowboys 8-6 (↑ 1)
  14. Chargers 7-7 (↓ 3)
  15. Bills 8-6 (↑ 1)
  16. Lions 8-6 (↑ 1)
  17. Titans 8-6 (↓ 4)
  18. Packers 7-7 (--)
  19. Raiders 6-8 (--)
  20. Redskins 6-8 (↑ 2)
  21. Dolphins 6-8 (↓ 1)
  22. Cardinals 6-8 (↓ 1)
  23. 49ers 4-10 (↑ 3)
  24. Jets 5-9 (↓ 1)
  25. Bears 4-10 (↓ 1)
  26. Buccaneers 4-10 (↑ 2)
  27. Broncos 4-10 (↑ 2)
  28. Bengals 5-9 (↓ 3)
  29. Texans 4-10 (↓ 2)
  30. Giants 2-11 (↑ 1)
  31. Colts 3-11 (↓ 1)
  32. Browns 0-13 (--)

MVP Race (week 16)

1. Tom Brady (--)
  2. Todd Gurley (NR)
  3. Russell Wilson (↓ 1)

HMs: Drew Brees, Le'Veon Bell, DeMarcus Lawrence, Calais Campbell, Jared Goff, Philip Rivers, Case Keenum, Xavier Rhodes, Aaron Donald

Gone but not forgotten: Carson Wentz, Antonio Brown

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Need to draft a top OL and get another in FA I feel. 

Draft is probably not an option, unless some OL drops ala La'el Collins - so someone's gotta do something stupid. Nate Solder would also be a prime target in free agency. Interior OL seems to be the theme of this draft, so replacements for Jeff Allen and Susan Sua Filo would help, too.

In addition, there is a desperate need for secondary help - all three CBs are either old or ineffective, and upgrading that spot is a dire need. Malcolm Butler would be the addition most needed, and - given that we should have a lot of cap space to work with - giving him a big multi year deal isn't the worst idea.

Those two with some other nice FA adds (Kenny Vaccaro or Lamarcus Joyner to bolster the secondary) as well as hoping for Watt/Mercilius/Watson to return to form would help out.

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Draft is probably not an option, unless some OL drops ala La'el Collins - so someone's gotta do something stupid. Nate Solder would also be a prime target in free agency. Interior OL seems to be the theme of this draft, so replacements for Jeff Allen and Susan Sua Filo would help, too.

In addition, there is a desperate need for secondary help - all three CBs are either old or ineffective, and upgrading that spot is a dire need. Malcolm Butler would be the addition most needed, and - given that we should have a lot of cap space to work with - giving him a big multi year deal isn't the worst idea.

Those two with some other nice FA adds (Kenny Vaccaro or Lamarcus Joyner to bolster the secondary) as well as hoping for Watt/Mercilius/Watson to return to form would help out.

Both Solder and Butler have been quite flawed this year, just to let you know. But Solder would be a good pickup. Top 15ish. 

Why is the draft not an options? Seems OL is deep this year?

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Why is the draft not an options? Seems OL is deep this year?

Traded our first to Cleveland get Watson. We also traded our 2nd to Cleveland to take the $72mm Brock Osweiler contract off of our hands.

So, we're on the clock sometime at pick 68. 

15 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Traded our first to Cleveland get Watson. We also traded our 2nd to Cleveland to take the $72mm Brock Osweiler contract off of our hands.

So, we're on the clock sometime at pick 68. 

Ah I see. Still, according to http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OG.php there's a few good pickups to be found in rounds 2-4

Archived