Power Rankings and MVP Race Thread

RandyMossIsBoss

Eagles forum, Week 9 Power Rankings, comprised of 11 different rankings.

Super Bowl Contenders
Playoff Hunt
Falling Out of the Chase
Better Luck Next Year

*Note many of these were done before the DeShaun Watson Injury

1 Philadelphia
2 New England
3 Kansas City
4 Pittsburgh
5 Seattle
6 LA Rams
7 New Orleans
8 Minnesota
9 Jacksonville
10 Buffalo
11 Dallas
12 Atlanta
13 Houston
14 Carolina
15 Detroit
16 Tennessee
17 Washington
18 Baltimore
19 Denver
20 Green Bay
21 Oakland
22 LA Chargers
23 Cincinnati
24 Miami
25 NY Jets
26 Tampa Bay
27 Arizona
28 Chicago
29 NY Giants
30 Indianapolis
31 San Francisco
32 Cleveland

8EteZWo.png

3 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

1a.  Brady
1b.  Wentz

Gap

3.  Smith

Brady has played better than Wentz with a worse supporting cast, but Wentz'  stats are close-ish and the Eagles a game on the Patriots.  Could go either way.  I do think there is also something to be said for narrative.  While oldest MVP ever is flashy, there is voter fatigue and Wentz' story from some calling him a bust to turnaround this year is pretty compelling.

I hate this award. You are right about narrative playing a part, but why not cut the BS and rename the award. The award doesn't  usually go to the actual MVP. 

The criteria should be; who, if taken out of their team, accounts for the most points against/losses etc. Who's the most valuable....even if that's a WR, a linebacker, a RB whatever. If that was the case, who would it be? Steelers might be Fd without Brown, we'd be at best 3-4 without Tom, would Goff look this good if Gurley is taken out, is Hunt the real reason behind Smith's new-found levels of production? etc etc. That's far more interesting, for me.

4 hours ago, Asciimo said:

much like alex smith, there's no way Wentz keeps up this level of play. 

That's the thing about Wentz, while it doesn't necessarily show up in the stat sheet, he is still improving on a weekly basis fixing up kinks in his game.

Power Rankings (week 10)

1. Eagles 8-1 (--)
  2. Patriots 6-2 (↑ 1)
  3. Steelers 6-2 (↑ 1)
  4. Rams 6-2 (↑ 4)
  5. Vikings 6-2 (↑ 1)
  6. Cowboys 5-3 (↑ 4)
  7. Chiefs 6-3 (↓ 5) 
  8. Saints 6-2 (↑ 1)
  9. Seahawks 5-3 (↓ 4)
  10. Jaguars 5-3 (↑ 1)
  11. Panthers 6-3 (↑ 1)
  12. Bills 5-3 (↓ 5)
  13. Lions 4-4 (--)
  14. Titans 5-3 (↑ 2)
  15. Redskins 4-4 (↑ 5)
  16. Falcons 4-4 (↓ 1)
  17. Ravens 4-5 (--)
  18. Jets 4-5 (↑ 7)
  19. Raiders 4-5 (↑ 5)
  20. Dolphins 4-4 (↓ 1)
  21. Texans 3-5 (↓ 7)
  22. Chargers 3-5 (↓ 1)
  23. Bears 3-5 (--)
  24. Cardinals 4-4 (↑ 3)
  25. Packers 4-4 (↓ 7)
  26. Broncos 3-5 (↓ 4)
  27. Bengals 3-5 (↓ 1)
  28. Colts 3-6 (↑ 2)
  29. Buccaneers 2-6 (↓ 1)
  30. Giants 1-7 (↓ 1)
  31. 49ers 0-9 (--)
  32. Browns 0-8 (--)

Top Risers: Jets (↑ 7)

The Jets opened week 10 with a shocking blowout win over the 5-2 Bills. After their dominant win over the Raiders, the Bills looked like they might finally have something with a stout defense and a good enough offense, but those thoughts were promptly squashed by the Jets in what was an embarrassing night for the Bills, and a triumphant one for the Jets, who are now 4-3 since their slow start. All 3 losses came by one score. The Jets have an outside chance at grabbing an AFC wild card spot.

Biggest Fallers:  Texans (↓ 7)

Losing Deshaun Watson for the year doomed the Texans before they even took a snap this week, as he was the catalyst of one of the league's best offenses, who had been surprisingly carrying an underwhelming defense. Unfortunately, it only got worse when they did finally take a snap, as they went on to lose to the lowly Colts. Without Watt and a leaky secondary, not to mention the Jaguars and Titans already notching 5 wins apiece, the Texans defense will not be carrying the Texan's once-again-putrid offense to the playoffs like in 2016.

MVP Race (week 10)

1. Tom Brady (--)
  2. Carson Wentz (↑ 1)
  3. Alex Smith (↓ 1)

HMs: Todd Gurley, Drew Brees, Kareem Hunt, Russell Wilson, Le'Veon Bell, Antonio Brown, DeMarcus Lawrence, Marshon Lattimore, Calais Campbell

Biggest shake-up this week is a bit of a reshuffling of the tiers. We've reached a point where it is pretty clear where each team is at. Tier 1 is for the SB favorites, tier 2 is for the contenders, tier 3 is for the playoff contenders, tier 4 is for teams that are not really in it but can maybe give you a fight, and tier 5 is the teams that anyone would love to see on their upcoming schedule.

Power Rankings (week 11)

1. Eagles 8-1 (--)
  2. Patriots 7-2 (--)
  3. Rams 7-2 (↑ 1)
  4. Saints 7-2 (↑ 4)
  5. Steelers 7-2 (↓ 2)
  6. Vikings 7-2 (↓ 1)
  7. Chiefs 6-3 (--) 
  8. Seahawks 6-3 (↑ 1)
  9. Panthers 7-3 (↑ 2)
  10. Jaguars 6-3 (↑ 1)
  11. Titans 6-3 (↑ 3)
  12. Falcons 5-4 (↑ 4)
  13. Cowboys 5-4 (↓ 7)
  14. Lions 5-4 (↓ 1)
  15. Bills 5-4 (↓ 5)
  16. Redskins 4-5 (↓ 1)
  17. Ravens 4-5 (--)
  18. Raiders 4-5 (↓ 1)
  19. Packers 5-4 (↑ 6)
  20. Jets 4-6 (↓ 2)
  21. Cardinals 4-5 (↑ 3)
  22. Chargers 3-6 (--)
  23. Dolphins 4-5 (↓ 3)
  24. Bears 3-6 (↓ 1)
  25. Bengals 3-6 (↑ 2)
  26. Broncos 3-6 (--)
  27. Texans 3-6 (↓ 6)
  28. Buccaneers 3-6 (↑ 1)
  29. Colts 3-7 (--)
  30. 49ers 1-9 (↑ 1)
  31. Giants 1-8 (↓ 1)
  32. Browns 0-9 (--)

Top Risers: Packers (↑ 6)

Bit of an "inflated" and insignificant rise do to their low starting point, but they did prove they can win with Hundley at QB. Bears aren't exactly good, but they've pounded some great teams and division matchups are never easy, so it's a good win for the Packers. They are above .500, but things still do not look good for them without Rodgers, finishing 8-8 would probably be considered a success.

Biggest Fallers:  Cowboys (↓ 7)

After rolling off 3 straight fairly comfortable wins, including KC, the Cowboys got dominated on the road by a Falcons team that had been in free fall. Falcons at home seem to be another beast, but the Cowboys offense looked anemic without Zeke and Tyron. On top of those losses, they're now without Lee for the forseeable future, who is undoubtedly their defensive anchor. It is a must win for Dallas next week against Philly if they want to keep even their playoff hopes alive, most likely.

MVP Race (week 11)

1. Tom Brady (--)
  2. Carson Wentz (--)
  3. Alex Smith (--)

HMs: Todd Gurley, Drew Brees, Kareem Hunt, Russell Wilson, Le'Veon Bell, Antonio Brown, DeMarcus Lawrence, Marshon Lattimore, Calais Campbell, Jared Goff

21 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

MVP Race (week 11)

1. Tom Brady (--)
  2. Carson Wentz (--)
  3. Alex Smith (--)

HMs: Todd Gurley, Drew Brees, Kareem Hunt, Russell Wilson, Le'Veon Bell, Antonio Brown, DeMarcus Lawrence, Marshon Lattimore, Calais Campbell, Jared Goff

This would be my order as well, currently, but I think Wentz is going to get a bump for being the "new and shiny toy". He obviously deserves to be in that 1a/1b conversation, so I'm not taking anything away from him regarding that, but I think that people get tired of handing hardware to the same people over and over. Similar to the way that BB doesn't have 13 coach of the year trophies (is it just me, or is it kind of insane that he hasn't won coach of the year since 2010?). 

Just now, Forge said:

This would be my order as well, currently, but I think Wentz is going to get a bump for being the "new and shiny toy". He obviously deserves to be in that 1a/1b conversation, so I'm not taking anything away from him regarding that, but I think that people get tired of handing hardware to the same people over and over. Similar to the way that BB doesn't have 13 coach of the year trophies (is it just me, or is it kind of insane that he hasn't won coach of the year since 2010?). 

He's only won it 3 times. NFL awards....pfft.

On 11/15/2017 at 2:56 PM, Matts4313 said:

I hope drew brees wins it. Theres no reason he shouldnt have won one by now. But he will need a spike in production to pull it off. Just a couple good ol fashioned 50 point shoots out should do the trick

I wish he could have gotten one, but this year will not be the year and he's not getting any younger.  The narrative has already become widely known that Brees isn't carrying the team, and he would have to nearly run the table while averaging 3+ TDs and 300+ yards every game to have a chance.  And even then, he would maybe get overlooked if we keep running the ball well.

And honestly, I'm glad we aren't relying on his arm, and I'm sure he enjoys being carried for once in his career.  He's still capable of a big game here and there if we need it, but it's not gonna happen every week.  I hope we keep running the ball 24 straight times for 10 yards a pop.  If we can do that to every opponent, we have a great chance at another superbowl.

Archived