Power Rankings and MVP Race Thread

RandyMossIsBoss

15 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Don't think Brady did enough to pass Smith and don't think Smith did bad enough to drop. Smith still has 0 INTs... He should still be the favorite in MVP

Why does 0 interceptions mean MVP? I always thought Ints were a strange way of judging, because a QB who pushes it down to the filed more, who attempts more, who essentially puts the team on his back WILL throw more picks. Not saying Smith doesn't do this, or that Brady does (well, he does), but you get my question?

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Why does 0 interceptions mean MVP? I always thought Ints were a strange way of judging, because a QB who pushes it down to the filed more, who attempts more, who essentially puts the team on his back WILL throw more picks. Not saying Smith doesn't do this, or that Brady does (well, he does), but you get my question?

If you go through half the season and throw the ball 259 times and throw 0 INT that just separates you from the rest of the QBs. That makes you most valuable. Ablility to move the ball and not turn it over... INTs just hurt teams, turnovers hurt teams. If you don't turn the ball over you always have you're team in position to win.  And that is the lone difference between the QBs is the INTs. Smith has a slightly higher completion percentage and yards per attempt.

Brady does have more yards but only cause he has more attempts on the game

Also read the argument that the chiefs having a running game with Hunt hurts Smith in the race because Brady doesn't have a running game. Well I think the opposite affect happens... Having a run game helps Smith because he is putting up similar numbers to Brady despite having to get Hunt his carries which gives Alex less attempts to work with.

7 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Also read the argument that the chiefs having a running game with Hunt hurts Smith in the race because Brady doesn't have a running game. Well I think the opposite affect happens... Having a run game helps Smith because he is putting up similar numbers to Brady despite having to get Hunt his carries which gives Alex less attempts to work with.

I don't think football works like that. Defenses having to respect the run, and devote resources to stopping it, absolutely makes it easier for a QB to pass. Hunt isn't racking up obscene carry numbers, he is making a lot of yards on his own with fewer carries: his average and forced miss tackles are through the roof. Also, Hunt is putting the offense into good positions - Brady has to do that on his own. That's without mentioning the defense. Our D has been on the field forever (in the first quarter of season), which, as you put it, has given Tom less time to work with. 

44 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Lets make this easy.

1.  The Chiefs/Patriots have the same record.

2.  The Patriots are 1st in DVOA offense and 32nd in DVOA defense

3.  Alex has the leagues best rushing game/running back, a guy on pace for over 2000 yards from scrimage.

4.  Brady has had guys in and out of the lineup and been missing Edelman and Mitchell since day one.

5.  Both players are top 3 in nearly every stat and are pretty even, statistically

6.  Brady is asked to do more, in a more complex offense on a per snap basis

7.  Brady has thrown it fifty more times than Smith at 309 vs 259.

8.  KC is 3rd in rushing Y/A while NE is 21st

IMO it's obvious who the MVP should be at this point.   When Smith had a two game lead on the Patriots it was him, but the team record has evened out, the stats are roughly the same, but Brady has been doing it in a tougher situation than Smith.  

Yep, Carson Wentz. 

MVP, as of today:

1. Smith  (Can't beat 0 int. And it's not like Smith is not taking chances deep. he's actually been good on deep passes)

2. Brady  (Injured receiving corps forced offense to adapt to more of a vertical passing attack and Brady has excelled in this new look offense-best in the league in deep passing)

3. Wentz  (Making smart decisions with the ball and putting up big numbers. Just lost his LT, it'll be interesting see how he reacts to adversity going into the second half of the season)

6 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Why are people arguing about Brady vs Smith? Is it about who's second behind Wentz? Because hes the MVP favorite atm. 

Vegas thinks so as well. 

Vegas doesn't think anything. They just respond to how people are betting. And I can't find a current source for that anyway, so I'm honestly not sure if that's true regardless.

I'm fine with anyone arguing for Wentz, Smith, or Brady. But the posters who keep acting like it's incredibly obvious that X player is the front runner are kidding themselves. It's a tight race until one of them blows a game, gets injured, or otherwise falls off. You can make arguments for any of them still (Wentz has record, Brady has supporting cast and bulk stats, Smith has efficiency stats and a head to head win over the other two.)

8 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Yeah that's actually completely wrong.

Patriots 221 rushing attempts (10th)

Chiefs 201 rushing attempts (14th)

Attempts help to increase bulk stats, but it also hurts efficiency.   Brady is asked to throw more, account for more in the offense, and do so without an elite rushing game and a dominant RB carrying the offense for him. 

Brady has more attempts because the Patriots offense has been better, largely because of Brady.

Hunt is absolutely not carrying the offense. Hunt is phenomenal, but frankly, he does not get the kind of touches to make that sort of claim. Just as your stats show.

It also makes no sense to say Brady has more attempts because the offense has been better. There's absolutely no correlation between those. Brady has more attempts because his defense has been worse. Same reason Brees is always way up there in attempts.

I honestly haven't seen enough of Wentz to know for sure but he's definitely right up there now and his team having the best record in the league could be big.

Smith and Brady are the other two as well.

As of right now:

1. Smith

2a/b Brady and Wentz

It's an extremely tight race

On 11/2/2017 at 6:15 PM, tonyto36 said:

Attempts help to increase bulk stats, but it also hurts efficiency.   Brady is asked to throw more, account for more in the offense, and do so without an elite rushing game and a dominant RB carrying the offense for him. 

Brady has more attempts because the Patriots offense has been better, largely because of Brady.

Patriots have 20 more rushing attempts and if you take away QB rushing yards they also have more rushing yards than the Chiefs. They also have 50 more pass attempts. KC averages more yards per pass and per run and have only 2 turnovers all year so I'm not sure how you can believe that their offense has been better, it just doesn't make sense.

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Patriots have 20 more rushing attempts and if you take away QB rushing yards they also have more rushing yards than the Chiefs. They also have 50 more pass attempts. KC averages more yards per pass and per run and have only 2 turnovers all year so I'm not sure how you can believe that their offense has been better, it just doesn't make sense.

KC averages 4.9 YPC, Pats average 3.9. I mean, of you're using averages on passing, why not use them with rushing too?

18 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

KC averages 4.9 YPC, Pats average 3.9. I mean, of you're using averages on passing, why not use them with rushing too?

Yeah I mentioned that the KC offense averaged more per pass, per run, turned the ball over less yet the Patriots offense is better because they have more attempts? Doesn't calculate.

Archived