Power Rankings and MVP Race Thread

RandyMossIsBoss

I still don't know how I feel about the Chiefs in the playoffs.  They have always been a good team, and certainly are a great team this season, but Andy Reid consistently goes into the playoffs with bad gameplans and a pass-frenzy approach. 

They really need to get homefield advantage. 

27 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I still don't know how I feel about the Chiefs in the playoffs.  They have always been a good team, and certainly are a great team this season, but Andy Reid consistently goes into the playoffs with bad gameplans and a pass-frenzy approach. 

They really need to get homefield advantage. 

Which they most likely get.

Just now, Blackstar12 said:

Which they most likely get.

They started off 9-0 in 2013 and finished 2nd in their division.

Granted you don't have a team like the Manning-led Broncos in the division, but you never know.  Their upcoming schedule isn't exactly a walk in the park.

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

They started off 9-0 in 2013 and finished 2nd in their division.

Granted you don't have a team like the Manning-led Broncos in the division, but you never know.  Their upcoming schedule isn't exactly a walk in the park.

True but the AFC as a whole isn't all that great Broncos game will definitely be a test.

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

It's more commentary than anything. I agree he's that dude right now. Had the Chiefs knew they had this type of player at QB, they don't move up to draft a QB.

Fair enough. Although they might still. Smith isn't getting younger and he's never played at this level so stands to reason he falls back to earth at some point. Time will tell but Smith seems like a solid dude so it's good to see him having success. 

Power Rankings (week 6)

1. Chiefs 5-0 (--) 
  2. Packers 4-1 (--)
  3. Falcons 3-1 (--)
  4. Panthers 4-1 (↑ 6)
  5. Eagles 4-1 (↑ 3)
  6. Broncos 3-1 (↓ 1)
  7. Patriots 3-2 (--)
  8. Lions 3-2 (↓ 2)
  9. Seahawks 3-2 (↑ 4)
  10. Steelers 3-2 (↓ 6)
  11. Rams 3-2 (--)
  12. Bills 3-2 (--)
  13. Cowboys 2-3 (↓ 4)
  14. Vikings 3-2 (↑ 2)
  15. Jaguars 3-2 (↑ 7)
  16. Redskins 2-2 (↑ 1)
  17. Saints 2-2 (↑ 3)
  18. Ravens 3-2 (↑ 5)
  19. Raiders 2-3 (↓ 5)
  20. Texans 2-3 (↓ 2)
  21. Titans 2-3 (↓ 6)
  22. Jets 3-2 (↑ 2)
  23. Buccaneers 2-2 (↓ 4)
  24. Bengals 2-3 (↑ 1)
  25. Dolphins 2-2 (↑ 2)
  26. Cardinals 2-3 (↓ 5)
  27. Chargers 1-4 (↓ 1)
  28. Bears 1-4 (↓ 2)
  29. Colts 2-3 (↑ 1)
  30. Giants 0-5 (↓ 2)
  31. 49ers 0-5 (--)
  32. Browns 0-5 (--)

Top Risers: Jaguars (↑ 7)

The Jags handed the Steelers their worst home loss of the Tomlin era, and put Ben's status as a top QB into question with their ferocious D's performance. A bit of a Jekyll & Hyde team so far, yet to string together consecutive wins. They've decimated 3 quality opponents, each away from home, but also have puzzling losses to the Titans and Jets. The Jags rise is just as helped by their dominant performance as it was by teams around them falling.

Biggest Fallers: Steelers, Titans (↓ 6)

The Steelers offense has had something missing all year, even with 3 wins they have yet to break 30 and something just seems off. This all came to a boiling point on Sunday, where they were embarrassed at home by the Jaguars in one of Ben's worst performances, throwing 5 INTs and only leading the offense to 3 field goals. They have the perfect opportunity to redeem themselves next week when they head to Arrowhead. The Titans are a mess without Mariota. 1 week after receiving the worst beatdown of the 2017 season, they lose to Jay Cutler. Mariota cannot return soon enough to save this sinking ship, which looked poised to lead the AFCN just a few weeks ago after destroying the Jags and winning a close one to the Seahawks.

MVP Race (week 6)

1. Alex Smith (↑ 2)
  2. Tom Brady (--)
  3. Aaron Rodgers (↑ 2)
  4. Kareem Hunt (↓ 3)
  5. Drew Brees (NR)

HMs: Matthew Stafford, Todd Gurley, Antonio Brown, Carson Wentz, DeMarcus Lawrence

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

MVP Race (week 6)

1. Alex Smith (↑ 2)
  2. Tom Brady (--)
  3. Aaron Rodgers (↑ 2)
  4. Kareem Hunt (↓ 3)
  5. Drew Brees (NR)

HMs: Matthew Stafford, Todd Gurley, Antonio Brown, Carson Wentz, DeMarcus Lawrence

Going to be "that" guy...

Deshaun Watson should find himself on this list sooner rather than later (or at least the HM list). Texans are now an offense-first team with the injuries to Watt and Mercilius, so if the Texans can compete, it's gonna be on Watson. 

1 hour ago, tonyto36 said:

What does the color coding mean?  

I think Chiefs are far and away the best team in the NFL right now and should have their own tier.

I think Eagles should be higher

I believe they're tiers.  Each color representing a different tier. 

And RMIB and myself are both Eagles fans, and I agree with his ranking for us.

You could flip us with the Panthers but it doesn't matter really. I think KC Should be on it's own tier though. IMO the top 4 NFC teams are all very close. None are complete teams. Kansas City is almost as complete as there is right now.

8 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Smith isn't even MVP on his own team IMO.  

Brady, Rodgers, Hunt, Brees, Smith.

Just look at this:  Attempts per game

Smith:  35, 28, 21, 37, 37  (33.8 average)

Brady:  36, 39, 35, 45, 40.  (39.0 average)

Rodgers:  42, 50, 42, 26, 29.   (37.8 average)

Brees:  37, 45, 29, 41 (38.75 average)

In fact Brady Brees and Rodgers average attempts per game are higher than Smiths highest mark all season.    Without looking, I feel pretty confident in stating it's likely Brady, Rodgers and Brees all likely have had significantly worse starting position all game.  I also would note the value in having to pass in high pressure situations, needing to drive down the field to score to even stay in the game, vs being comfortable knowing your defense can hold the game together for you.  

I said earlier in the thread that I judge based on what I think the actual voters use for judging.

Smith is QB on the only undefeated team left and has been playing at a very high level, with the highest passer rating.

Do I think Brady and Rodgers are more valuable to their teams success...yes...but that has never been what the award was judged by.

It's almost always best QB on one of the best teams that season.

1 hour ago, tonyto36 said:

As a Patriots fan, I'm not too worried about the Chiefs come playoffs, just because I think the Chiefs don't have the depth to handle a full season grind.  I think if any of Kelce or Hill get hurt or Hunt gets hurt/slows down to rookie wall, the Chiefs are going to be a slog offensively.  On the other side, any of Peters, Houston or anyone else in the front 7 go down and it could be bad.   Houston in particular it seems sketchy to assume he'll be healthy come playoffs.

Sure

Yes

Smith isn't even MVP on his own team IMO.  

Brady, Rodgers, Hunt, Brees, Smith.

Well any team that loses a key piece is likely to not win in the playoffs. That's a silly argument.

Im sure if Brady got hurt that decreases the Patriots chances.

Archived