What do we do with Jameis Winston?

bucsfan333

Like I said before. I don't see how Teddy fits the vertical offense we run. But if BA does, I'm on board.

I'll be skeptical until/unless it proves to work. But I trust BA's judgement. It's his offense. Nobody knows it better than he does.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

If he doesn't fit in, or work within the offense he isn't.

This isn't Madden where anyone can plug and play. BA's offense needs a guy who can push the ball down the field; a guy who's willing to do so. There aren't many checkdown options. Almost everything is 10+ yards down the field.

If the guy can't (seemingly pretty much every FA QB) or won't (seemingly every FA QB aside from Rivers) then the offense doesn't work. Simply throwing less INTs doesn't mean squat of we're punting the ball at a much greater rate.

Less turnovers doesn't equate more wins if the offense doesn't score points.

He will do great. They will adjust. If Arians is stubborn enough to only want "gunslingers" to "push the ball downfield", then we're really screwed. 

How'd that gunslinger thing work out for Jameis? Arians was suppose to come in and fix Jameis. The QB whisperer right? Yeah, first quarterback in history with the 30-30 stat. That is definitely on Jameis AND Arians. He kept telling him to keep slinging it right? Totally works if you're looking for yards to add on to the stat line, and to keep the defense on their toes on the sideline. 

Btw, isn't this Byron's offense?

6 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

He will do great. They will adjust. If Arians is stubborn enough to only want "gunslingers" to "push the ball downfield", then we're really screwed. 

How'd that gunslinger thing work out for Jameis? Arians was suppose to come in and fix Jameis. The QB whisperer right? Yeah, first quarterback in history with the 30-30 stat. That is definitely on Jameis AND Arians. He kept telling him to keep slinging it right? Totally works if you're looking for yards to add on to the stat line, and to keep the defense on their toes on the sideline. 

Leftwich calls the plays from BA's playbook, by all accounts. Lefty knows the offense, having played in it. That's a big reason why BA chose him to call plays.

Coaches are stubborn. And BA admits it. He's had success with his offense everywhere he's gone. He hasn't changed the philosophy. And I'd be surprised if he starts now.

Pushing the ball downfield is the offense. That's what it is. 

I pointed out last summer that BA and company said/did a lot of the same things Koetter and company did. And it's true. Biggest difference is BA has had years and years to do it, while Koetter only had a few.

1 hour ago, Caaddy24 said:

And what's your preferred QB plan? 

Keep the better QB on a likely shorter term deal. The guy who actually fits the scheme we run. The guy who isn’t just a game manager. Keep continuity in the offense and expect improvement in year two. Get some much needed assets to help said QB (ala RB and OT)

Look at drafting a QB to develop behind him...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Keep the better QB on a likely shorter term deal. The guy who actually fits the scheme we run. The guy who isn’t just a game manager. Keep continuity in the offense and expect improvement in year two. Get some much needed assets to help said QB (ala RB and OT)

Look at drafting a QB to develop behind him...

I don't see why Jameis can't sign something like a two year $55M deal with only the first year guaranteed.

And we draft a Love/Eason/Stanley/McDonald/etc.

Moving on and giving Jameis a one year deal don't have to be two different ideas.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

Based on what? How do we know that asking Bridgewater to literally run an offense that doesn’t taylor to his skill set will work? We don’t, and I’m more apt to look back at history where this has been tried before and didn’t pan out. BA isn’t here to rework his offense for a QB at this point in his career, it’s vice versa. This is BA’s scheme all the way...

Plus, I think this notion that BA was going to come in and Jameis would be fixed right away is garbage. That’s a media driven talk point. Did we all expect a little more than what we got? Sure. However, Jameis and the offense as a whole still had a pretty successful year overall. I’d like to see year 2 in the system before I jumped ship and I think if it wasn’t a contract year with a Jameis this would be moot...

the 30-30 stat is what it is. Yah, it’s unique, but it’s not like it’s a horrendous stat line. You still got more production than not. Plus, let’s remember BA just recently said that after reviewing all the tape, he out 20 of the 30 INTs on Jameis...

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I don't see why Jameis can't sign something like a two year $55M deal with only the first year guaranteed.

And we draft a Love/Eason/Stanley/McDonald/etc.

Moving on and giving Jameis a one year deal don't have to be two different ideas.

Agreed the two year deal is ideal for both parties. I’d even take the franchise tag vs. giving out a guaranteed deal for likely longer term to the field QBs mentioned...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed the two year deal is ideal for both parties. I’d even take the franchise tag vs. giving out a guaranteed deal for likely longer term to the field QBs mentioned...

Gotta make sure Barrett plays for us next year though.

8 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Gotta make sure Barrett plays for us next year though.

Really hoping this delay with all signings across the league is just CBA related.  Franchising Barrett doesn t mean he has to sign the tender right away.  Either way, with the expected rise in the cap, no excuses for the organization not to resign most of these guys.  

They can always use signing bonus to create even more cap space.  Even rework Marpet or David s contract to create more space.

There is an interesting point about Teddy on social media.  Why is Payton doing everything he can to retain an older, less experience playing Qb in Hill over Teddy?   I get not liking Jameis, but when one of the better offensive coaches brings back his 42 yr old Qb and gadget Qb over his back up who won 5 games, that has to be a concern.  

Edited by ravishingone
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

There is an interesting point about Teddy on social media.  Why is Payton doing everything he can to retain an older, less experience playing Qb in Hill over Teddy?   I get not liking Jameis, but when one of the better offensive coaches brings back his 42 yr old Qb and gadget Qb over his back up who won 5 games, that has to be a concern.  

Exactly and this isn't the 1st time he's been passed over. It's extremely concerning...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ravishingone said:

saints going to need 20 mil to retain Teddy. They dont have cap space to toss around to keep all 3 qbs lol. 

2 hours ago, indifference said:

saints going to need 20 mil to retain Teddy. They dont have cap space to toss around to keep all 3 qbs lol. 

Payton could have chosen to move away from Brees and or not tender Hill that high.  Belichick appears willing to walk away from the GOAT.  If Payton thought Teddy was the answer for the long term it would have happened.  Payton made the Teddy the highest paid back up in the league, saw him play 5 games and is not going to commit to him long term over a qb who is 42.  I can t believe Payton would let nostalgia for Brees be the only factoe bringing him back.

It has to be at least a little bit of a concern.  Not every FA is an upgrade over the Qb last season.  If they can t get better in free agency, then the Qb whisperer needs to use his super powers identify a franchise Qb outside of Burrow and go get him.  

Edited by ravishingone