What do we do with Jameis Winston?

bucsfan333

14 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Hmm... are you referring to this:

ESPN Dallas reports the Cowboys have sent a new deal to Dak Prescott.

The Cowboys have increased their latest offer to just over $33 million annually. This doesn't change much, but it's obviously a good sign the sides are still talking. 

That doesn't sound like a deal is in place to me. Even so, comparing Dak's situation to Jameis isn't apples to apples...

I said parameters in place as in a rough estimate for his new extension. Your right one is a winning qb and the other stinks. Shouldnt even brought him in this discussion.

side bar: dak had a great season last year with a struggling OL.

9 minutes ago, indifference said:

I said parameters in place as in a rough estimate for his new extension. Your right one is a winning qb and the other stinks. Shouldnt even brought him in this discussion.

side bar: dak had a great season last year with a struggling OL.

We've known for a long time what the deal was going to look like. Most have thought it was going to be at or near the 35 million AAV, so not sure where you're going with that lead. Plus, the Cowboys have been trying to lock him up for 1.5 years now. They've said all along if they didn't get a deal done, they'd use the tag on him, so he was never going anywhere regardless...

So comparing their situations is different. I never said that Dak isn't the better QB, but let's not act like the pieces around him are garbage. He's got a stud WR, a top 5 RB and a very good OL. The OL was banged up this year. They have been and continue to be arguably the best unit in the league...

39 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We've known for a long time what the deal was going to look like. Most have thought it was going to be at or near the 35 million AAV, so not sure where you're going with that lead. Plus, the Cowboys have been trying to lock him up for 1.5 years now. They've said all along if they didn't get a deal done, they'd use the tag on him, so he was never going anywhere regardless...

So comparing their situations is different. I never said that Dak isn't the better QB, but let's not act like the pieces around him are garbage. He's got a stud WR, a top 5 RB and a very good OL. The OL was banged up this year. They have been and continue to be arguably the best unit in the league...

My point is Bucs arent showing that they are fully confident in Winston otherwise like the Cowboys they’d have a framework worked out. I think everyone knows Dak wasnt going anywhere...that was not the point

The situation is similar. Both qbs are coming off rookie contracts. Its really as simple as that. One guy has shown he is worth the extension...the other not so much

One guy plays winning ball, the other will be a backup in 3 years. Dak has a great team around them not denying that but he has shown progress this year as a passer. In games were Zeke couldnt get going and the OL struggled he stepped up to the plate in several games this year.

Edited by indifference

22 minutes ago, indifference said:

My point is Bucs arent showing that they are fully confident in Winston otherwise like the Cowboys they’d have a framework worked out. I think everyone knows Dak wasnt going anywhere...that was not the point

The situation is similar. Both qbs are coming off rookie contracts. Its really as simple as that. One guy has shown he is worth the extension...the other not so much

One guy plays winning ball, the other will be a backup in 3 years. Dak has a great team around them not denying that but he has shown progress this year as a passer. In games were Zeke couldnt get going and the OL struggled he stepped up to the plate in several games this year.

Oh, I have no doubt we're not fully confident in Winston. I've said I expect us to let him hit the market to hopefully knock down his demands/value. What I and others have said, is that the replacement options in FA that will actually be available are not upgrades. If there was a Matt Stafford actually available, or a Dak Prescott that would hit the market I'd be screaming for us to pull the trigger. There isn't though. I know a lot of people want a change, but sometimes a change just for the sake of change isn't the best course. I'll continue to bang the drum that our best option is to keep Jameis for a 1 year gauranteed deal with a 2nd year option and draft a QB to actually develop behind him...

I get what you're saying though with Dak, but I just don't see it the same as Dak has had a much better team and more coaching continuity around him since coming into the league...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Oh, I have no doubt we're not fully confident in Winston. I've said I expect us to let him hit the market to hopefully knock down his demands/value. What I and others have said, is that the replacement options in FA that will actually be available are not upgrades. If there was a Matt Stafford actually available, or a Dak Prescott that would hit the market I'd be screaming for us to pull the trigger. There isn't though. I know a lot of people want a change, but sometimes a change just for the sake of change isn't the best course. I'll continue to bang the drum that our best option is to keep Jameis for a 1 year gauranteed deal with a 2nd year option and draft a QB to actually develop behind him...

I get what you're saying though with Dak, but I just don't see it the same as Dak has had a much better team and more coaching continuity around him since coming into the league...

I get what you're saying in the bolded

But I have to disagree 

At this point it's been 5 years

5 years...

We've given winston HALF A DECADE 

Invested all that time and are still basically at square 1

So excuse me if I say

That change for the sake of change,  at this point in time is the best option for BOTH us AND winston

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

in your opinion there arent upgrades. We’ll see what Arians feels in a week or so.

39 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

What? Where did you see that?

Wait we can't send offers yet... so I'm confused.

ESPN the other day.  It had something like "Brady offers" (not sure what it was exactly)

Pat's: $124 million

Bucs: $102 million

Some other team: like $80 million