Hats off to Brian Flores and Ryan Fitzpatrick

BayRaider

44 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

7-9 isn't bad in a first season...

Our schedule was cupcake when we went 6-2.  What's worrisome is that Gase is pretty much doing what he did in Miami. Be stubborn, high penalties, complete no show games, slow paced offense that ranks near the bottom of the league.  I give it that there wasn't a lot Gase could do with how bad our OL was and how many injuries we had, but that was his excuse in Miami too, injuries.  What helped this team was that Gregg Williams was coaching the heck out of the defense and they overachieved. And Brent Boyer has once again had our ST rated among the best in the league, besides having a bad kicker. Now just praying that we finally landed a GM who can build a roster and draft well with Douglas and the new scouting department. 

Edited by NYJets4716

6 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

The funny thing is that 4 months ago everyone a lot of people were saying that the Browns showed the right way to build a team and were applauding the Dolphins for following their path.

Well, the Browns had the right path - until they decided to let GM Dorsey come in, wipe out the plan Sashi had in mind, throw away cap $ and picks and somehow not address the most important position left (LT when Joe Thomas retired) with 6 Day 1-2 picks, and trade away their best interior OL for a pass rush luxury item.    Plus hire a HC solely to retain him as OC - but then bring in another OC with competing philosophies.

Just because CLE screwed the pooch with the Dorsey hire and over half of his moves post-hire, doesn't mean it wasn't the model.    The Phins might just get it right, so long as they don't pull a Dorsey V2 redux.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

But it was clear watching that team fight that they were a much better team than their record had indicated, they simply needed to time to gel with all the additions they brought on post- preseason.

As much as I still think Josh Rosen could succeed as a starter, it's also pretty clear Rosen learning the MIA O coming in late, and his overall NFL lack of experience, hurt the O in a big way.

Plus, let's not forget the GM likely had the coaches playing a TON of Kallen Ballage.  That alone has about -10.0 WAR value for the 1H alone.  Seriously.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

And they were without Sam Darnold for a while to start. Next year will be the real test.

I'm a huge Darnold believer - but no way he makes a diff vs. CLE/NE/PHI with NYJ's OL issues early in-season (remember Garrett & co. terrorized them all night long, same for NE/PHI).  It probably kept him healthy for longer.

Edited by Broncofan

54 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well, the Browns had the right path - until they decided to let GM Dorsey come in, wipe out the plan Sashi had in mind, throw away cap $ and picks and somehow not address the most important position left (LT when Joe Thomas retired) with 6 Day 1-2 picks, and trade away their best interior OL for a pass rush luxury item.    Plus hire a HC solely to retain him as OC - but then bring in another OC with competing philosophies.

Just because CLE screwed the pooch with the Dorsey hire and over half of his moves post-hire, doesn't mean it wasn't the model.    The Phins might just get it right, so long as they don't pull a Dorsey V2 redux.

But they will get it “right” by NOT tanking, is the whole point. The Browns added talent under Dorsey, the biggest issue isn’t just the idiotic decisions, its the losers mentality. Guys focusing on their social media presence and worrying about their targets is the hallmark of a losing franchise.

The concept reminds me of rich dad, poor dad... while the one team has more “riches” they have a “poor” mentality, while the other team has less riches, but “has a rich mindset” and that’s made all the difference. Notice how the Dolphins finished only one game back on the Browns considering the talent gap, as they have a richer mindset.

Edited by diamondbull424

20 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

But they will get it “right” by NOT tanking, is the whole point. The Browns added talent under Dorsey, the biggest issue isn’t just the idiotic decisions, its the losers mentality. Guys focusing on their social media presence and worrying about their targets is the hallmark of a losing franchise.

The concept reminds me of rich dad, poor dad... while the one team has more “riches” they have a “poor” mentality, while the other team has less riches, but “has a rich mindset” and that’s made all the difference. Notice how the Dolphins finished only one game back on the Browns considering the deficiencies of the talent gap. Because they have a richer mindset.

The Dolphins traded away every single player they could.  Trading away Tunsil, Minkah & Drake certainly did nothing to send a win-now message to the team.   It just so happened Fitzmagic & Parker / Gesicki & co. still had enough in the tank to win some games.    The Browns started a rookie QB who had no business even being a backup, let alone start for so many games, in 2017.  There was a stunning stat where CLE turned it over 9-10x not just in the RZ - but inside the FIVE-yard line.   And the bigger issue was having Hue Jackson as HC (if that's actually possible to have a bigger issue than an unprepared rookie QB starting games).

In both cases, MIA & CLE tanked hard FO-wise, the players & coaches tried hard to win.  The coaches & players left behind in CLE for 2017 just weren't as good as the coaches/players left behind in MIA in 2019.  I wouldn't look into it any harder than that.

Edited by Broncofan

I have to give the Dolphins credit. I feared they might actually sit this year out to secure a high draft pick, as insane as I think that notion is (because who ever heard of a #1 or #2 drafted QB not working out?). Instead, they clawed their way back from an awful start with nothing to play for but their own self-respect.

If they do become a good team under Flores, we'll be able to look back and say they did it the right way.

Edited by y*so*blu

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The Dolphins traded away every single player they could.  Trading away Tunsil, Minkah & Drake certainly did nothing to send a win-now message to the team.   It just so happened Fitzmagic & Parker / Gesicki & co. still had enough in the tank to win some games.    The Browns started a rookie QB who had no business even being a backup, let alone start for so many games, in 2018.  There was a stunning stat where CLE turned it over 9-10x not just in the RZ - but inside the FIVE-yard line.   And the bigger issue was having Hue Jackson as HC (if that's actually possible to have a bigger issue than an unprepared rookie QB starting games).

In both cases, MIA & CLE tanked hard FO-wise, the players & coaches tried hard to win.  The coaches & players left behind in CLE for 2017 just weren't as good as the coaches/players left behind in MIA in 2019.  I wouldn't look into it any harder than that.

Disagree. I think while the Dolphins got rid of players, they seemed to identify which players didn’t have the mentality to win and got rid of those guys... Stills was busy criticizing the team owner. Minkah was making excuses Via his mother and overall not used to losing, sure you could argue that he wasn’t being properly utilizes, but his effort was also noticeably poor with the Dolphins. He seemed to already be quitting on the team after only a few weeks of losing. Tunsil was probably just a deal that you cannot refuse.

Either way, I feel that the Miami moves weren’t so much about tanking and more so about getting players within Miami that were excited to be there and playing football.