You decide: Do we move on from Carr this offseason?

RaidersAreOne

Should we move on from Carr this offseason  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should we move on from Carr this offseason?

• Yes. We know what we have and it's time to move on.
    • No. Give him one more chance.

Again my problem with Carr is that he needs a really great supporting cast.  That's fine if he didn't make 125 million dollars....

The problem is that if we choose to flesh out the roster this year, we likely lost the only opportunity to grab a top tier QB as we'll likely never again have these kinds of assets.  I have no doubt that Carr with a decent squad around him will be an above average team.  This will hurt us in the long-run as we'll rarely sniff being competitive enough to be Superbowl bound while simultaneously being perpetually in that mediocre draft range.

The recipe for success is have a rookie deal QB (or a cheap option) with a talent around him.  Or a stud QB who can drag the team on his shoulders.  Carr doesn't enable either scenario. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Again my problem with Carr is that he needs a really great supporting cast.  That's fine if he didn't make 125 million dollars....

The problem is that if we choose to flesh out the roster this year, we likely lost the only opportunity to grab a top tier QB as we'll likely never again have these kinds of assets.  I have no doubt that Carr with a decent squad around him will be an above average team.  This will hurt us in the long-run as we'll rarely sniff being competitive enough to be Superbowl bound while simultaneously being perpetually in that mediocre draft range.

The recipe for success is have a rookie deal QB (or a cheap option) with a talent around him.  Or a stud QB who can drag the team on his shoulders.  Carr doesn't enable either scenario. 

I understand this line of thinking, but it's completely unwarranted.

KC is the perfect example.  Alex Smith was leading them to the playoffs and fighting for the division almost every year.  They pounced and traded up for Mahommes when they had the chance.  There is absolutely no reason why we can't do the same thing.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

And just even having a QB that can go out of his comfort zone and deliver being that guy that can keep us in games to win. Making plays off script and not this conservative dink n dunk around the LOS or Throw it out of bounds at the slightest hint of pressure. 
That money could be going to shore up the defense instead of scared to win QB play. 
I 100% agree we may not have a chance at a franchise QB again in the draft unless we full on tank and the wheels fly off. Even if we did a (Ditka Ricky Williams) offer it probably wouldn’t be close to enough to get Lawrence and any team that is sitting at #1 next draft will be taking him for sure. I don’t really wanna leverage all our assets for a question mark QB in Tua though. If we didn’t have to sacrifice too much I wouldn’t mind. First 2thirds 2020 Gabe Jackson and second 2021 I could live with it or something along those lines for Tua.If we seriously could get Lawrence next season somehow I would be flying high 

Edited by Gannon12
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Great point. That's thing whole thing with Carr. He was paid like a QB who could uplift a team that had some deficiencies to it like Russell Wilson. Instead he is more like a Game Manager or backup QB. We are basically in QB purgatory with Carr. We are almost forced to move on from him this season if we want to contend for a super bowl

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

And just even having a QB that can go out of his comfort zone and deliver being that guy that can keep us in games to win. Making plays off script and not this conservative dink n dunk around the LOS or Throw it out of bounds at the slightest hint of pressure. 
That money could be going to sure up the defense instead of scared to win QB play. 
I 100% agree we may not have a chance at a franchise QB again in the draft unless we full of tank and the wheels fly off. Even if we did a (Ditka Ricky Williams) offer it probably wouldn’t be close to enough to get Lawrence and any team that is sitting at #1 next draft will be taking him for sure. I don’t really wanna leverage all our assets for a question mark QB in Tua though. If we didn’t have to sacrifice too much I wouldn’t mind. First 2thirds 2020 Gabe Jackson and second 2021 I could live with it or something along those lines for Tua.If we seriously could get Lawrence next season somehow I would be flying high 

I honestly think we'll draft a QB round 1 this season. Gruden will fall for a QB either in the Combine, Senior Bowl or workouts. You have to think the staff is having 2nd thoughts looking at Haskins and Lock (two QBs reportedly Gruden was high on) look like they will be solid building blocks going forward. Especially, since Crosby was good enough to be overall #4 while Ferrell played like a 3 round pick. 

• Like 1

Just now, bucksavage1 said:

I honestly think we'll draft a QB round 1 this season. Gruden will fall for a QB either in the Combine, Senior Bowl or workouts. You have to think the staff is having 2nd thoughts looking at Haskins and Lock (two QBs reportedly Gruden was high on) look like they will be solid building blocks going forward. Especially, since Crosby was good enough to be overall #4 while Ferrell played like a 3 round pick. 

I would not be surprised and would welcome that decision. I fully trust Mayock right now and has already shown he can find those diamonds in the mid rounds as you hinted. I just can’t wait for this offseason to get rolling lol. I want to see what direction we are going in for the future. It’s pretty obvious with 6 years of Carr tape they will be looking hard to improve the QB position. When Gruden arrived and afterwards a year later Mayock they inherited a below average roster, a shell shocked Carr that can’t recover mentally after the leg injury and a terrible defense. It’s going to take time and assets to right the ship and they been checking things off the list. They will not be scared to pull the trigger and get a better QB

• Like 2

2 hours ago, true2form said:

I understand this line of thinking, but it's completely unwarranted.

KC is the perfect example.  Alex Smith was leading them to the playoffs and fighting for the division almost every year.  They pounced and traded up for Mahommes when they had the chance.  There is absolutely no reason why we can't do the same thing.

We can't evaluate the offense because Carr doesn't utilize the weapons.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

We can't evaluate the offense because Carr doesn't utilize the weapons.

Yes he does, how can you even think this. The weapons - Waller, Williams, Renfro all got used. Waller is a pro bowler now. Williams and Renfro both had solid seasons considering everything they went through with first year here and injuries. What other "weapons" did we have that he ignored? 

5 minutes ago, true2form said:

Yes he does, how can you even think this. The weapons - Waller, Williams, Renfro all got used. Waller is a pro bowler now. Williams and Renfro both had solid seasons considering everything they went through with first year here and injuries. What other "weapons" did we have that he ignored? 

Waller should have been a huge redzone threat, but Carr's 14.8 redzone QBR is horrible which actually held Waller back. Renfro is perfect for Carr because he runs short routes dink and dunk, and utilizing Williams length and speed would mean throwing it up deep every once in awhile.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Waller should have been a huge redzone threat, but Carr's 14.8 redzone QBR is horrible which actually held Waller back. Renfro is perfect for Carr because he runs short routes dink and dunk, and utilizing Williams length and speed would mean throwing it up deep every once in awhile.

They struggled in the red zone for sure. The deep balls stopped to Williams after he got hurt. His speed wasn't there and his hands became suspect too.

Guess we didn't have any other weapons since that was my question. Which btw, is the correct answer which leads back to how can you say what you said. You're done with Carr and it doesn't matter what's true or not, so why discuss it. Why quote me at all if you don't want to discuss? You just want to come in scream Carr sucks and run out of the room. My boys used to act that way when they didn't get ice cream or had to go to bed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, true2form said:

They struggled in the red zone for sure. The deep balls stopped to Williams after he got hurt. His speed wasn't there and his hands became suspect too.

Guess we didn't have any other weapons since that was my question. Which btw, is the correct answer which leads back to how can you say what you said. You're done with Carr and it doesn't matter what's true or not, so why discuss it. Why quote me at all if you don't want to discuss? You just want to come in scream Carr sucks and run out of the room. My boys used to act that way when they didn't get ice cream or had to go to bed.

Leave it, this will get resolved one way or the other. I have something in mind, but if others dont want to hear it, that's also fine. Either way we'll see what happens.

46 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

yup, ive been saying it for years, Philip Rivers refuses to throw the ball deep.. Rivers is a garbage QB as well right.

Games Receiving Rushing Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 1D Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Rush Yds TD 1D Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
2015 23 SDG   16 4 0 5 2 90 45.0 1   80 0.5 22.5 40.0% 18.0                 2 45.0 90 1 0 1
2016 24 SDG WR 16 16 12 119 69 1059 15.3 7 48 51 4.3 66.2 58.0% 8.9                 69 15.3 1059 7 0 9
2017 25 LAC WR 16 16 15 69 43 728 16.9 4 29 75 2.7 45.5 62.3% 10.6                 43 16.9 728 4 1 6
2018 26 LAC wr 16 16 10 65 41 653 15.9 5 34 75 2.6 40.8 63.1% 10.0 2 15 0 1 14 7.5 0.9 0.1 43 15.5 668 5 2 6
2019 27 OAK WR 16 14 12 64 42 651 15.5 6 33 46 3.0 46.5 65.6% 10.2                 42 15.5 651 6 0 5

very similar stats outside of 2016, but, ALA your Carr argument, that is too far in the past. 
in his last 3 years, his best season was in Oak.