Black Monday - How many?

Golfman

5 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

I see this off season as one of opportunity for the Packers to upgrade some of the coaches. The WR coach needs to be upgraded since the guy they have was just a college WR coach and former back in the NFL. It seems like every WR took several steps back.

Let's go get some retreads!!!!!

7 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

According the article appears Gase is safe.  Came on guess I wasn't paying much attention to the hapless Jets.  Nagy was on the list.  Don't think so but never know they did underperform but my guess he gets another year.  Speculation is Rivera gets the gig.  Anthony Lynn of the Chargers one we haven't talked about.

Rivera might wind up taking that WAS gig.  That front 7 is gonna be nasty with Young-Payne-Allen-Kerrigan.  Haskins showed some potential down the stretch at QB.  Of course, there’s also the Snyder factor.  Not that most of the other owners attached to these openings don’t have question marks themselves.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Rivera might wind up taking that WAS gig.  That front 7 is gonna be nasty with Young-Payne-Allen-Kerrigan.  Haskins showed some potential down the stretch at QB.  Of course, there’s also the Snyder factor.  Not that most of the other owners attached to these openings don’t have question marks themselves.  

They finally let go of Allen too. That one might be open for a while until the hire a GM. Although with Snyder he may hire his coach and tell the new GM to deal with it. 

8 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

I get that but it is one of the premier franchises in all of sports.  Don't think coaches would shy away from a shot to coach the Cowpokes.  They have a lot of talent and could win right away.  Much more desirable then either The Giants, Jacksonville or Washington.

If you’re a coach who’s ok with very little control over anything, then I suppose it’s a good gig.  Most don’t want to have an owner who literally can’t get out of the way and let the coach actually coach.  Jerry knows this, and he knows he needs a coach to do exactly what he says - all of the time, no questions asked.  He’s been reticent to fire Garrett because Garrett is one of a few people on earth that will let Jerry call all of the shots.

Agree with you about Dallas being a premiere franchise, but until JJ dies or steps down, that’s a nightmare coaching job.

Just now, thrILL! said:

Revolving door in Washington.  Working under Snyder now that would give me pause.   If given a choice sure Rivera would much rather coach in Chicago. Big if though.  Not that many openings out there better to coach in Washington than not at all.  Sounds like Rivera is a hot commodity according to the pundits so maybe he'll have some options.

Just now, thrILL! said:

Mike Preifer from CLE would be a huge upgrade as a special teams coach.  

When is the last time we did something great on special teams? I think it was when Nolan Cromwell was our special teams coach and it was the year of Desmond Howard. Seriously, I think it's been that long! 

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

If you’re a coach who’s ok with very little control over anything, then I suppose it’s a good gig.  Most don’t want to have an owner who literally can’t get out of the way and let the coach actually coach.  Jerry knows this, and he knows he needs a coach to do exactly what he says - all of the time, no questions asked.  He’s been reticent to fire Garrett because Garrett is one of a few people on earth that will let Jerry call all of the shots.

Agree with you about Dallas being a premiere franchise, but until JJ dies or steps down, that’s a nightmare coaching job.

Think you are overstating it.  Jerry does meddle but no where compared to Snyder.  Sounds like Dallas is eyeing up Lincoln Riley.  Whoever the coach is they will have to work with Jones no two ways about it.  Regardless still highly desirable gig.

7 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Revolving door in Washington.  Working under Snyder now that would give me pause.   If given a choice sure Rivera would much rather coach in Chicago. Big if though.  Not that many openings out there better to coach in Washington than not at all.  Sounds like Rivera is a hot commodity according to the pundits so maybe he'll have some options.

Getting Allen out of a football role certainly helps if you can keep him out of there, which nobody has been able to. 

Hard to tell if Rivera is actually a hot commodity or if people are just bringing him in to satisfy the Rooney Rule requirements. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

When is the last time we did something great on special teams? I think it was when Nolan Cromwell was our special teams coach and it was the year of Desmond Howard. Seriously, I think it's been that long! 

Special teams have been pretty solid this year actually.  Became a big issue when they traded away Davis.  We got Irvin and since then our Special Teams have been respectable.  Just my opinion think the coach is fine.

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Special teams have been pretty solid this year actually.  Became a big issue when they traded away Davis.  We got Irvin and since then our Special Teams have been respectable.  Just my opinion think the coach is fine.

Yeah, for the most part it's been alright since Irvin was brought in. 

On the other hand there have only been 5 KR TDs and 7 PR TDs this yearso at some point it's tough to even figure out who's functional on the return units. 

We're getting to the point where ST is going to legislated out of the game entirely except for FGs

4 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Think you are overstating it.  Jerry does meddle but no where compared to Snyder.  Sounds like Dallas is eyeing up Lincoln Riley.  Whoever the coach is they will have to work with Jones no two ways about it.  Regardless still highly desirable gig.

It’s possible (that I’m overstating it), but IMO, you’re understating JJ’s influence.  I’ll try and find the article that I read recently that does a deep dive into JJ’s overwhelming micro-management of the coaching decisions.  It might change your mind.  Maybe.