2019 Wild Card Playoffs

Leader

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I hope not. I mean how many teams are employing this tactic? Is it kosher amongst coaching circles or is it considered unprofessional?

I am sure coaches around the league will bypass a competitive advantage in the name of professionalism.  Wait... no they won't.

1 minute ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

If MLF could use it during the playoffs if given the chance before the change happens. I believe that Bellacheat used it before.

Do it! Maybe you can get the opposing team to use a time out to end the sequence. Do it. 

9 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Now that it's out in the open, it almost seems dumb for a team up by 10 with 6 minutes left not to shave off a couple minutes by purposely taking a delay of game, then running down the play clock and purposely committing 2 or 3 false starts.  Unless I am missing something, there is nothing that can be done to stop it under the current rules.

if it became egregious, I'm sure a ref could throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. Rule 12, section 3, article 3:

"ARTICLE 3. INTENTIONAL FOULS TO MANIPULATE GAME CLOCK. A team may not commit multiple fouls during the same down in an attempt to manipulate the game clock.

Penalty: For multiple fouls to run off time from the game clock: Loss of 15 yards, and the game clock will be reset to where it was at the snap. After the penalty is enforced, the game clock will start on the next snap."

Two delay of game penalties in a row is a case specifically mentioned in Article 1, but Article 3 seems to give pretty broad leeway for refs to throw a flag in these cases.

Just now, Cakeshoppe said:

if it became egregious, I'm sure a ref could throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. Rule 12, section 3, article 3:

"ARTICLE 3. INTENTIONAL FOULS TO MANIPULATE GAME CLOCK. A team may not commit multiple fouls during the same down in an attempt to manipulate the game clock. Penalty: For multiple fouls to run off time from the game clock: Loss of 15 yards, and the game clock will be reset to where it was at the snap. After the penalty is enforced, the game clock will start on the next snap."

Two delay of game penalties in a row is a case specifically mentioned in Article 1, but Article 3 seems to give pretty broad leeway for refs to throw a flag in these cases.

Impossible for a Ref to tell.

Delay of game penalty followed up by two false starts.....which Ref is going to *interpret* the intent of those false starts?

6 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

"ARTICLE 3. INTENTIONAL FOULS TO MANIPULATE GAME CLOCK. A team may not commit multiple fouls during the same down in an attempt to manipulate the game clock.

Penalty: For multiple fouls to run off time from the game clock: Loss of 15 yards, and the game clock will be reset to where it was at the snap. After the penalty is enforced, the game clock will start on the next snap."

Since it's already established that a delay of game paired with a false start does not trigger this rule, I'd be doing that on every punt in Q4 if I was trying to burn clock.  Eventually I'd try another false start just to see what would happen.

A far simpler, and far more logical solution for the league would be setting a limit on the amount of time that can can be burned between plays.

Edited by Mazrimiv

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Since it's already established that a delay of game paired with a false start does not trigger this rule, I'd be doing that on every punt in Q4 if I was trying to burn clock.  Eventually I'd try another false start just to see what would happen.

eh, I don't think reffing works like legal precedent. I think the fact that it's an uncommon occurrence lends plausible deniability. If it starts becoming a regular thing, I think those flags start flying. It's left up to the ref's judgement, and if everyone in the audience knows that's what's going on, then so does the ref. I do suspect we'll see some kind of tweak though, like stopping the clock for a subsequent penalty on the same down any time in the 4th quarter or giving the opposing team the option to stop the clock in such a situation.

4 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

eh, I don't think reffing works like legal precedent. I think the fact that it's an uncommon occurrence lends plausible deniability. If it starts becoming a regular thing, I think those flags start flying. It's left up to the ref's judgement, and if everyone in the audience knows that's what's going on, then so does the ref. I do suspect we'll see some kind of tweak though, like stopping the clock for a subsequent penalty on the same down any time in the 4th quarter or giving the opposing team the option to stop the clock in such a situation.

Is that not effectively a rule change to combat this tactic? 

Edited by Mazrimiv

44 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, I didn't like how Vrabel used it.  About 5.5 minutes left when it started.  You figure it's the Patriots, it's Tom Brady, you gotta believe they're going to grit out a drive over 4-5 minutes and at least score a field goal.  In that situation in the game, I want that drive of theirs over as soon as possible. 

I don’t think it works after five minutes left.

16 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I do suspect we'll see some kind of tweak though, like stopping the clock for a subsequent penalty on the same down any time in the 4th quarter or giving the opposing team the option to stop the clock in such a situation.

They have that already. It's called a time out.

Outside of using a TO - you're transferring "intent" from the Ref to the opposing team.