Why does the 2015 Packers @ Cardinals game get so much love?

Bolts223

Like I'm not saying that this was a bad game. I actually think it was a very good game.

At the same time - In many discussions about the best game of the decade throughout the internet I probably see this game listed the most often and people generally agree. And I'm really sure what makes it better than some of the other amazing postseason games we've had this decade.

I don't really remember anything particularly special about this game until the very end with the hail mary. And after all the excitement of that happening the game was over pretty much immediately after with the Cardinals winning like 2 plays into OT.

I'm not trying to dis this game, I just don't get why people think it's the best or even one of the best this decade.

If I'm comparing overall excitement of games this decade to this one I would easily put a number of games as better from an entertainment perspective ahead of this one:

- 2011 Saints @ 49ers Divisional Round

- 2012 Ravens @ Broncos Divisional Round

- Super Bowl 49 (Patriots vs Seahawks)

- Super Bowl 51 (Patriots vs Falcons)

- 2018 Patriots @ Chiefs AFC Championship Game

Maybe a few others too. But my point being is I'm legitimately curious if there is something I'm missing about this game? I consider it being a fairly uneventful/not that exciting of a game for the first 45-50 minutes or so. I personally think that the Packers/Cardinals playoff game in 09 was more entertaining than this one. All the other games I listed were very exciting and great games for the entire 60+ minutes and they had just as epic of endings.

Edited by Bolts223

11 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Like I'm not saying that this was a bad game. I actually think it was a very good game.

At the same time - In many discussions about the best game of the decade throughout the internet I probably see game listed the most often and people generally agree. And I'm really sure what makes it better than some of the other amazing postseason games we've had this decade.

I don't really remember anything particularly special about this game until the very end with the hail mary. And after all the excitement of that happening the game was over pretty much immediately after with the Cardinals winning almost immediately in OT.

I'm not trying to dis this game, I just don't get why people think it's the best or even one of the best this decade.

If I'm comparing overall excitement of games this decade to this one I would easily put a number of games as better from an entertainment perspective ahead of this one:

- 2011 Saints @ 49ers Divisional Round

- 2012 Ravens @ Broncos Divisional Round

- Super Bowl 49 (Patriots vs Seahawks)

- Super Bowl 51 (Patriots vs Falcons)

- 2018 Patriots @ Chiefs AFC Championship Game

Maybe a few others too. But my point being is I'm legitimately curious if there is something I'm missing about this game? I consider it being a fairly uneventful/not that exciting of a game for the first 45-50 minutes or so. All the other games I listed were very exciting and great games for the entire 60+ minutes and they had just as epic of endings.

The Cardinals were awful for a lot of the game with Carson Palmer trying to throw the football with a broken thumb. But Larry Fitz completely took over in the clutch and carry the Cards into position to win. And then in OT, he did it again. I remember watching it as it went on and just thinking "Wow. This guy still has it." I know it was AFTER Larry drank from the fountain of youth, as he had like 1300 yards and 100 receptions or something like that in 2015, but he was just SO clutch. He wrecked the Packers at the end. Not sure why it's one of the greatest games though. 

I'd take the Texans vs Seahawks matchup in 2017 or Rams vs Chiefs in 2018 over any of the games listed any day of the week. Those games were legit. Both teams were close, they were high-scoring but the defenses still made plays, and the QBs were wizards with the football.  

Edit: and if we're including College games, Clemson's victory over Alabama with Deshaun Watson is probably the best game I've ever seen.

Edited by HoboRocket

5 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

The Cardinals were awful for a lot of the game with Carson Palmer trying to throw the football with a broken thumb. But Larry Fitz completely took over in the clutch and carry the Cards into position to win. And then in OT, he did it again. I remember watching it as it went on and just thinking "Wow. This guy still has it." I know it was AFTER Larry drank from the fountain of youth, as he had like 1300 yards and 100 receptions or something like that in 2015, but he was just SO clutch. He wrecked the Packers at the end. Not sure why it's one of the greatest games though. 

I'd take the Texans vs Seahawks matchup in 2017 or Rams vs Chiefs in 2018 over any of the games listed any day of the week. Those games were legit. Both teams were close, they were high-scoring but the defenses still made plays, and the QBs were wizards with the football.  

I was more choosing postseason games just because games are inherently more exciting with the season on the line.

But that being said - I think even removing that aspect I'd take 2012 Ravens @ Broncos over either of those games. Best game I've seen in my life.

In any case I'm not asking why it was a good game, I'm asking why people consider it the best or one of the best games of the decade.

Like what makes it better than any of the games you or I listed?

Edited by Bolts223

It has 2 absolutely iconic plays with the Janis hail mary and the Fitzgerald catch and run. I would put it above last year's Pats/Chiefs for games you mentioned and in the same tier as the others.

Also the Janis catch to set-up the hail mary attempt was great too.

Edited by LeotheLion

22 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

It has 2 absolutely iconic plays with the Janis hail mary and the Fitzgerald catch and run. I would put it above last year's Pats/Chiefs for games you mentioned and in the same tier as the others.

Also the Janis catch to set-up the hail mary attempt was great too.

I guess my point is that how do 2 plays make a game one of the best of a decade?

All the other games I mentioned had insane plays at the end of the game as well as big plays throughout the entire game.

49ers @ Saints had the craziest ending maybe of them all. It was also an incredible comeback from the Saints in the entire second half and the final 3 minutes were pure insanity.

Ravens Broncos had like 3 big plays within the first 5 minutes of the game and like 10-15 huge momentum changing plays at various points in the game.It had huge momentum shifts throughout the entire game. It had the Jacoby Jones Hail Mary and it had the Peyton Manning interception in OT that ultimately was what did the Broncos in. 

Super Bowl 49 was an insanely well played game on both sides of the ball with multiple hall of famers on both teams and an insane 4th quarter and finish between the Kearse catch and the Butler interception.

Super Bowl 51 is probably the greatest comeback in the history of pro-sports.

2018 Pats @ Chiefs was also one of those back and forth games that had big plays throughout the entire game, and insane end of regulation, and a nail biting final drive that the Patriots ultimately won on.

Edited by Bolts223

20 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I guess my point is that how do 2 plays make a game one of the best of a decade?

All the other games I mentioned had insane plays at the end of the game as well as big plays throughout the entire game.

49ers @ Saints had the craziest ending maybe of them all. It was also an incredible comeback from the Saints in the entire second half and the final 3 minutes were pure insanity.

Ravens Broncos had like 3 big plays within the first 5 minutes of the game and like 10-15 huge momentum changing plays at various points in the game.It had huge momentum shifts throughout the entire game. It had the Jacoby Jones Hail Mary and it had the Peyton Manning interception in OT that ultimately was what did the Broncos in. 

Super Bowl 49 was an insanely well played game on both sides of the ball with multiple hall of famers on both teams and an insane 4th quarter and finish between the Kearse catch and the Butler interception.

Super Bowl 51 is probably the greatest comeback in the history of pro-sports.

2018 Pats @ Chiefs was also one of those back and forth games that had big plays throughout the entire game, and insane end of regulation, and a nail biting final drive that the Patriots ultimately won on.

You basically say all of those games had insane endings and I don't necessarily disagree but Cards/Pack was much more insane. Packers had to go 95 yards in 55 seconds to tie. They had a 4th and 20 conversion and then the Janis TD was probably the 3rd most improbable late playoff TD I've seen besides the Minneapolis Miracle and Music City.

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

You basically say all of those games had insane endings and I don't necessarily disagree but Cards/Pack was much more insane. Packers had to go 95 yards in 55 seconds to tie. They had a 4th and 20 conversion and then the Janis TD was probably the 3rd most improbable late playoff TD I've seen besides the Minneapolis Miracle and Music City.

I found the ending to be a little bit anti-climatic to be honest with you.

Like the Packers had just completed an insane hail mary only to lose almost immediately after.

Would've been a bit better if there had been more of a back and forth in OT and both teams got to possess the ball.

All the games I mentioned not only had insane endings, but were insanely well played and exciting games the entire time. 

This game was just Carson Palmer playing bad 55 minutes but the Cardinals still winning in spite of that, Rodgers completing an insane hail mary and then Fitzgerald completing a hail Mary. Exciting ending - no doubt, but not really that great of an overall game.

8 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I think Rodgers used up the last of his Mario mushrooms in that game.