Ron Rivera is Our New Coach

Ghostnote

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

If we don’t hire a GM my feelings towards this hire are going to drop drastically. If Dan is still the final say then nothing has changed and we’re going to fail. 

I guess this is all down to how people view this.  The reports are that Rivera may name someone as a GM-type after the draft, but it seems that he plans to "collaborate" and with the collaboration, the owner holds the tiebreaker if the room isn't on the same page (directly from Rivera's mouth.) 

That concerns me more than anything else.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Yes, it is. MLB will become critical.

They haven't been able to do that in nearly 20 years, regardless of the front they ran.

No, teams generally don't. They want to rely on continuity for their players muscle memory.

However, outside of Kerrigan, most of the front seven defensive talent is 27 or younger (Bostic is 28). So, they may not have had the muscle memory harden. Also, most of the defensive talent played in a 4-3 in college outside of the Alabama guys (if I am wrong on this, please correct me). For guys like Allen and Payne, they've had experience in four man fronts when the team went into its nickel packages. Reuben Foster and Shaun Dion Hamilton might have the biggest challenges switching. Kerrigan also might, but he has also played hand in the dirt in the nickels.

Another advantage that the team will have going forward is not having to worry about projecting and retraining college 4-3 players into a 3-4 mindset. The team will no longer have to ask "can this edge rusher drop back in coverage?" (hopefully) The talent evaluators can focus on the player's abilities as shown in film and workouts. It also means that draftees can hopefully contribute sooner since the learning curve won't be (or at least shouldn't be) as steep.

I have argued in the past that the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 seems to take about three years (allowing for guys to learn new responsibilities, bring in new players, and get rid of those who cannot do it). I haven't paid as much attention for teams going the other way, but I think it should be shorter as you can leverage players' previous experiences in a four man front.

It could very easily be a long season next year defensively speaking. But let's be fair here, they haven't been good defensively in the 3-4, so why not give it a shot?

I don't have a problem giving it a shot.  My point was to not expect immediate positive results, such as a top 10 finish.  That thought process is setting that poster up for being disappointed by this team, because in reality, that is not how the NFL works.  I had two examples to indicate that there is a transition period.  The Ravens were a top 3 defense in the 4-3 that transitioned to the 3-4 when Marvin Lewis left, and with Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan, Mike Smith and Donnie Henderson on staff, plus HOFers in Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, the defense fell into the 20's.  Going the other way, the Broncos finished 32nd in total defense as a 3-4 team, and moved back to the 4-3 when they drafted Von Miller, and only went up to the low 20's as a unit the first year.  

Even in an era like today where teams run a variety of fronts, your base defense still predicates how often you run certain fronts, and different terminologies, assignments, etc.  They have a year of growth in this new system, and then I think you can start expecting them to be a top tier unit based on the talent, provided they can find some sort of answer for covering TE's and RB's.

44 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

#1 - It sounds like Dan really gave Rivera power over pretty much everything.  Coaches are motivated to do short term deals that are not necessarily good for the team in the long run (because they need to win now or get fired).  That's how you have teams making stupid moves like Bill Obrien did with the Texans this year. 

It's why I have said that coaches who wear two hats generally fail. You need one person focused on tactics (the coach) and another focused on strategy (long term roster construction). It is incredibly difficult for one person to do both of those effectively at the same time.

45 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

#2 - He said he has no patience for a long rebuild, which essentially means he's going to do exactly what my #1 problem is.  

Well, unfortunately, we knew this was the case. He doesn't have a road map, and he doesn't have someone he trusts who can design an effective one. As such, expect Rivera to be canned before the contract expires and the draft cupboard/roster to be in dire shape. Again.

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I'm guessing it was a poor rib on Rivera for getting fired after losing to the Redskins.  But between that and "cultural" this was a cringeworthy "press conference" from Snyder.  

If he wants to crack jokes, cool. Answer questions then.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

It's why I have said that coaches who wear two hats generally fail. You need one person focused on tactics (the coach) and another focused on strategy (long term roster construction). It is incredibly difficult for one person to do both of those effectively at the same time.

Well, unfortunately, we knew this was the case. He doesn't have a road map, and he doesn't have someone he trusts who can design an effective one. As such, expect Rivera to be canned before the contract expires and the draft cupboard/roster to be in dire shape. Again.

Very few coaches wear both hats well.  As a playcaller, they usually get canned or forced to give it up.  At least Rivera is giving up playcalling, but he is replacing it by running a front office.  

I believe Snyder referenced the Seahawks?  Well, Carroll and Schneider were hired within a week of each other, and were given the shared vision by Paul Allen and they've collaborated of where they want to go.  The Chiefs went the collaborative route as well, as Andy Reid is working with folks he worked with at the Eagles organization.  The outlier here is Bill Belichick.  

I absolutely agree on the concerns about a road map- at least a long-term road map- and that really concerns me.  There is no architect here, and we all know how things have gone in the past when there is no architect.  We get Fat Albert.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I don't have a problem giving it a shot.  My point was to not expect immediate positive results, such as a top 10 finish.  That thought process is setting that poster up for being disappointed by this team, because in reality, that is not how the NFL works.  I had two examples to indicate that there is a transition period.  The Ravens were a top 3 defense in the 4-3 that transitioned to the 3-4 when Marvin Lewis left, and with Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan, Mike Smith and Donnie Henderson on staff, plus HOFers in Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, the defense fell into the 20's.  Going the other way, the Broncos finished 32nd in total defense as a 3-4 team, and moved back to the 4-3 when they drafted Von Miller, and only went up to the low 20's as a unit the first year.  

Even in an era like today where teams run a variety of fronts, your base defense still predicates how often you run certain fronts, and different terminologies, assignments, etc.  They have a year of growth in this new system, and then I think you can start expecting them to be a top tier unit based on the talent, provided they can find some sort of answer for covering TE's and RB's.

As I recall, Ray Lewis complained LOUDLY about the front not blocking for him, which led to the Ravens drafting Haloti Ngata. After that, they settled in.

Also, as I recall, the Broncos and Miller's second season was when it gelled.

I would like to see improvement under Rivera/Del Rio. No more botched coverages because the defense was completely confused. No stupid penalties. A high teen/low 20s defense would be stellar, but I understand there will likely be a learning curve.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

As I recall, Ray Lewis complained LOUDLY about the front not blocking for him, which led to the Ravens drafting Haloti Ngata. After that, they settled in.

Also, as I recall, the Broncos and Miller's second season was when it gelled.

I would like to see improvement under Rivera/Del Rio. No more botched coverages because the defense was completely confused. No stupid penalties. A high teen/low 20s defense would be stellar, but I understand there will likely be a learning curve.

They were still very undersized, which is again the point of needing more than a year to put a system into place.  You don't have the player archetypes at all of the positions that you would want.  

And yes, the Broncos second season with Miller was when they gelled.  But the first season?  Not so much, which is my point.  

I just want to see the 49% of third down's converted move to league average.  Anything else is gravy.  

51 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

#2 - He said he has no patience for a long rebuild, which essentially means he's going to do exactly what my #1 problem is.  

We are fairly talent rich. Next year we could be adding Trent, Foster, Guice and Love to the roster along with Chase Young.

Hes starting with a lot of good young pieces. I dont think it should take but a couple to turn it around if hes any kind of a coach. 5-7 wins season 1. 7-8 season 2. And wed be on our way on the plus side.

2 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

We are fairly talent rich. Next year we could be adding Trent, Foster, Guice and Love to the roster along with Chase Young.

Hes starting with a lot of good young pieces. I dont think it should take but a couple to turn it around if hes any kind of a coach. 5-7 wins season 1. 7-8 season 2. And wed be on our way on the plus side.

The question is whether or not you believe he's a good coach as well.  Plus the potential for meddling.  

If he follows the route he took with the Panthers, it's a division title win in Year 3.